Knife Thread

Caporegime
A steel straightens and unbends the edge at a microscopic level to make it straight again without removing any metal. A sharpener takes metal off to put the edge back on a blade. This is why you use a steel frequently, but only sharpen a knife when it's edge is actually degraded. It may be semantics, but using the correct terms for different things is a way to explain why you should use a steel often ie a steel is not a sharpener and it does a different job.
Thanks for clarifying and I do understand the technical difference but I will probably still out of habit say sharpening when referring to a steel. :p

So even on my Wusthofs I should be ok with just using a steel on them every month or so? :)

Soldato
Thanks for clarifying and I do understand the technical difference but I will probably still out of habit say sharpening when referring to a steel. :p

So even on my Wusthofs I should be ok with just using a steel on them every month or so? :)

If you were cooking in a commercial kitchen, you'd probably use your steel half a dozen times a night. Don't be afraid to use a steel every day if you want to, it's much less harsh than sharpening. You are literally straightening up the edge.

Caporegime
Guys I can get Wusthof Classic Santoku and Nakiri knives for a good price. If I already have the 20cm Chefs knife is there any real utility to these knives or is it just creating unnecessary overlap?

I will however certainly be buying a 26cm bread knife! :)

Soldato
They don't really do anything that a chef's knife doesn't already do.

The Nakiri is primarily a vegetable slicer, usually a thinner blade than a more all-purpose chef's knife. Goes through veg easier and you can usually make thinner cuts a bit more consistently.

The santoku is pretty much the Japanese equivalent of a chefs knife (Gyuto is the Japanese name for the western style knives). All-purpose knife, usually a little taller than a chef's knife and the blade is less curved.

I would say get the Nakiri if you prep a lot of veg, especially julienning/brunoise and leave the Santoku as you already have an equivalent knife. Otherwise you don't really need either.

anybody have a procook x50 elite, they are on sale at the minute and look pretty nice for the money in the sale

They're fine, not particularly hard steel so they don't hold an edge that well although they are easy to sharpen. For the money I would buy something like a Tojiro: https://www.hocho-knife.com/tojiro-dp-cobalt-alloy-3-layers-chef-knife-gyuto-180mm/?argument=hAQvRcMB&dmai=ad045&gclid=Cj0KCQiAvJXxBRCeARIsAMSkApqwv0W1gOTdEE4sFIEHZIxK7BSnKs7ZiIKbcTnnZZfRKG2rOFHjOEEaAo2uEALw_wcB

Or

https://www.hocho-knife.com/misono-mv-stainless-steel-no-tsuba-chef-knife-gyuto-195mm/

Last edited:
Soldato
The (zwilling) santoku I use, feels more precise for onions/celery with it's blades thinness, versus the chefs knife; I'd say I've cut myself less too;
also, with the flatter blade, chopping with santoku is a different action to learn, if, you'd learned rocking.
I only use the chefs knife for heavy duty vegetable like swedes now.

Caporegime
They don't really do anything that a chef's knife doesn't already do.

The Nakiri is primarily a vegetable slicer, usually a thinner blade than a more all-purpose chef's knife. Goes through veg easier and you can usually make thinner cuts a bit more consistently.

The santoku is pretty much the Japanese equivalent of a chefs knife (Gyuto is the Japanese name for the western style knives). All-purpose knife, usually a little taller than a chef's knife and the blade is less curved.

I would say get the Nakiri if you prep a lot of veg, especially julienning/brunoise and leave the Santoku as you already have an equivalent knife. Otherwise you don't really need either.

They're fine, not particularly hard steel so they don't hold an edge that well although they are easy to sharpen. For the money I would buy something like a Tojiro: https://www.hocho-knife.com/tojiro-...K7BSnKs7ZiIKbcTnnZZfRKG2rOFHjOEEaAo2uEALw_wcB

Or

https://www.hocho-knife.com/misono-mv-stainless-steel-no-tsuba-chef-knife-gyuto-195mm/

The (zwilling) santoku I use, feels more precise for onions/celery with it's blades thinness, versus the chefs knife; I'd say I've cut myself less too;
also, with the flatter blade, chopping with santoku is a different action to learn, if, you'd learned rocking.
I only use the chefs knife for heavy duty vegetable like swedes now.
Thanks for the feedback guys. I will stick with what I have and only bought the additional bread knife, then I have the real essentials and can focus on using them and identifying any real need for other knives based on real-world usage later down the line. :)

Caporegime
I received my Wusthof Classic 26cm bread knife ysterday... wow what a beast! Each time I get a new Wusthof knife I am amazed how different is to the one it replaced, the quality and workmanship are just so much finer and the blade edge is thin and keen yet very strong. I can't wait to see how it performs on some bread and cakes soon. https://www.knivesandtools.com/en/pt/-classic-bread-knife-10-5.htm :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm looking for suggestions a on a budget range chefs knife for home use, after someone broke the nose on my main knife a few months back. Ive seen loads on amazon but I dont really know which to get.

my requirements, it needs to be a all round knife meat, veg, ect unlike some Japanese knifes.
I would like something with a wide blade like a santoku with a slightly rounded modern handle

It would be nice to get something like a zwilling or Wusthof but I dont have the money for something like that.
Maybe I could save up and get something but I would need to justify it.

ive also ordered a 1000 grit stone would I need a higher grit stone ?

Soldato
What's the difference between the £20-£30 Wusthof chef knives and the 3x higher versions ? Just stronger steel ?

Is a cheap Wusthof still a good knife ?

Usually, the more expensive ones will have harder steel, not necessarily stronger but will take a better edge and hold it for a longer time whilst also being more brittle. Also, the fit and finish will be better, nicer handle materials, full tang, etc.

A cheap Wusthof is still good, maybe even better for a home cook as softer steel is more forgiving.

Soldato
I'm looking for suggestions a on a budget range chefs knife for home use, after someone broke the nose on my main knife a few months back. Ive seen loads on amazon but I dont really know which to get.

my requirements, it needs to be a all round knife meat, veg, ect unlike some Japanese knifes.
I would like something with a wide blade like a santoku with a slightly rounded modern handle

It would be nice to get something like a zwilling or Wusthof but I dont have the money for something like that.
Maybe I could save up and get something but I would need to justify it.

ive also ordered a 1000 grit stone would I need a higher grit stone ?

Budget?

Something like this would be a good shout (the 210mm or 240mm). I own one of their lower-end knives and it's very good.

https://www.globalkitchenjapan.com/...benifuji-gyuto-4-sizes?variant=27854373453907

It's a Gyuto which is just the Japanese term for a chef's knife, which is an all-purpose blade. Full tang, wooden handle and good quality steel.

If you want something cheaper then I would suggest a Victorinox Fibrox, basic but good quality and should only set you back about £25 - They're pretty much the standard house knives in professional kitchens.

Permabanned
to be honest there are 3 types of knife to begin with .. a chopper thick and long .. basically a veg prep knife. then you have a all purpose knife which will do salad and fruit and then a smaller pairing knife .
don't get to hooked up on what there for ..i have 14 knives cost £1200 but really only use 3 ..unless boning or filleting fish ..carving,or meat prep ..
it's really about what you can do with a knife ..an old head chef i knew only used 2 and sharpened them on a brick but he was dam good at what he done

Soldato
Budget?

Something like this would be a good shout (the 210mm or 240mm). I own one of their lower-end knives and it's very good.

https://www.globalkitchenjapan.com/...benifuji-gyuto-4-sizes?variant=27854373453907

It's a Gyuto which is just the Japanese term for a chef's knife, which is an all-purpose blade. Full tang, wooden handle and good quality steel.

If you want something cheaper then I would suggest a Victorinox Fibrox, basic but good quality and should only set you back about £25 - They're pretty much the standard house knives in professional kitchens.
I was thinking around the £20 mark, I dont need a long blade but would like a wide blade.

to be honest there are 3 types of knife to begin with .. a chopper thick and long .. basically a veg prep knife. then you have a all purpose knife which will do salad and fruit and then a smaller pairing knife .
don't get to hooked up on what there for ..i have 14 knives cost £1200 but really only use 3 ..unless boning or filleting fish ..carving,or meat prep ..
it's really about what you can do with a knife ..an old head chef i knew only used 2 and sharpened them on a brick but he was dam good at what he done
Thanks, I just wanted suggestion on what I should get. with so many cheap knifes made in china on amazon I dont know what to get, some look really good but I dont know if they will be any good.

Like a few years a go I got my first expensive knife a salter damascus knife but was told it was not very good.

I be nice to get a well known make like zwilling or Wusthof but I dont have that kind of money or able to justify the cost even if the knife is one of the most important tools.

if Im buying a knife I may as well do some research.

also I have ordered a 1000 grit whetstone would i need a higher grit stone also or the 1000 grit a good point ?

Soldato
whetstone is good for once a month or so .. your gonna need a steel .. now heres a tip .. you will find every now and then a few of these in tk-max Zwilling Professional S Santoku Knife 18cm for about £20
a few of the commis chefs in our place picked them up ;)
Thanks, ill keep a eye out.

I have a steel I just wanted something to sharpen my knifes every now and then.

Whats other brands should I keep a eye out for ?

Back
Top Bottom