Windows 10

Soldato
Not sure if related, but my sound just glitched out. It's like a "buzz" sound while playing a Youtube video, and my mouse froze/unfroze as I was moving it. Any ideas? It happens kinda often.

Soldato
I have been asked to upgrade a friends computer from Window 7 to Windows 10.

Until recently I know you could still upgrade for free by using a USB key. Does this still work? Or do you have to buy Windows 10 at this stage?

Soldato
Man of Honour
I'm assuming activation servers were glitchy - wallpaper restrictions happen when the machine fails authentication - sometimes due to pirated copies sometimes due to MS's servers having an off day (which the OS really shouldn't have such a dependency on).

EDIT: And/or messed up patch I doubt it was intentional but usually wallpaper issues are due to activation restrictions.

Associate
Just installed Win10, it's already been a painful experience.

If it wasn't for Steam, i'd really been looking at Linux or chromeOS right now.

It appears to have some nice things going on, but generally, trying to streamline and get things simplified is either not intuitive or not possible so far..

Associate
I have been asked to upgrade a friends computer from Window 7 to Windows 10.

Until recently I know you could still upgrade for free by using a USB key. Does this still work? Or do you have to buy Windows 10 at this stage?
Thanks, but I need to be able to do an upgrade not a clean install if at all possible.
Yeah I did it twice this month on seperate hhd's both with win7 fully licenced. (trial version wont work) You will get like for like. win7 basic to win10 basic. Win7 pro to win10 pro. Just download the Windows media creation tool from microsoft.com (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10) and you'll need Rufus and a spare formatted USB.

Associate

It appears to have some nice things going on, but generally, trying to streamline and get things simplified is either not intuitive or not possible so far..
Yeah that Linux is really tempting especially how well the games play on distros like pop os and steams own distro.

Soldato

Having given in this week and moved my Windows partition over to 10, i'm finding the experience frustrating at best. It took me hours to strip all the crap out of it, lock it down and generally get it halfway to where I want it to be, at which point a Windows update just restored it all back, leaving me with no choice but to start again.

Also there's a half decent OS under all the crap that is layered on top of it. It's like finding your £100 perfectly cooked steak served in a bowl drowning in urine. I can feel there's still some talent at Microsoft with good ideas but sadly corporate have had their way with it.

Associate
Having given in this week and moved my Windows partition over to 10, i'm finding the experience frustrating at best. It took me hours to strip all the crap out of it, lock it down and generally get it halfway to where I want it to be, at which point a Windows update just restored it all back, leaving me with no choice but to start again.

Also there's a half decent OS under all the crap that is layered on top of it. It's like finding your £100 perfectly cooked steak served in a bowl drowning in urine. I can feel there's still some talent at Microsoft with good ideas but sadly corporate have had their way with it.

There is a very lightweight program designed to turn off the telemetry and Cortana and other undesirable features of windows 10. It's called o&oshutup10. It was recommended by a YouTuber called "Barnacules Nerdgasm". I use it, it works and there are no adverts or spyware. And when windows 10 updates, when you open shutup it tells you if windows has altered your settings. Oh, and it's free.

Soldato

I know I've mentioned this before, but there are a significant number of Steam games that do actually work on Linux now using Proton. There's still a lot that don't obviously, but you can always check ProtonDB to see if your favourite works.

Soldato
Yeah I did it twice this month on seperate hhd's both with win7 fully licenced. (trial version wont work) You will get like for like. win7 basic to win10 basic. Win7 pro to win10 pro. Just download the Windows media creation tool from microsoft.com (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10) and you'll need Rufus and a spare formatted USB.

Thanks mate!! Just needed to be sure it still worked before I tried it.

Back
Top Bottom