• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cpu upgrade. Can I put 9700k in.

Soldato
To be honest I don't wanna do it the long way.

Can someone just give me suggestion of what voltage I can use with my cooler? (£30 pure rock)

Then I will try 4.7 and if that works I will try 4.8.

Ok no problem. When I get a new cpu the first thing I do is overclock it and get it running the best and coolest that it can, At the end of the day you shouldnt need to touch the overclocking again, so you might aswel spend time getting the settings bang on right, unless you need your pc for work and cant aford any downtime.

1 thing I would do is backup your windows boot drive if you can, incase widows get corrupted while your overclocking. It has happened to me many times while overclocking with a unstable cpu.

Soldato
OP
Ok no problem. When I get a new cpu the first thing I do is overclock it and get it running the best and coolest that it can, At the end of the day you shouldnt need to touch the overclocking again, so you might aswel spend time getting the settings bang on right, unless you need your pc for work and cant aford any downtime.

1 thing I would do is backup your windows boot drive if you can, incase widows get corrupted while your overclocking. It has happened to me many times while overclocking with a unstable cpu.

I just don't want all the messing about.

I will just do what martin said and set it to 1.3v 4.9ghz/4.8 run a stress test and check temps and then go play overwatch or something.

Man of Honour
First thing I did when I got my 9600k was have a search on the internet and see what the average 9600k was clocking to and with how much voltage. When I entered my first overclock settings I just entered 50x and 1.4v vcore with a LLC setting in the middle of my motherboards range and it was rock solid stable. Sadly it wouldn't go to 5.1Ghz even with 1.45v vcore but it was a very early bios and Gigabyte has improved the bios massively since then. I did manage to tweak the vcore down to 1.35v as well as clock the uncore to 4.7Ghz so that was something. I will have to revisit my bios at some point and see if I can achieve more now that the bios has matured.

Soldato
First thing I did when I got my 9600k was have a search on the internet and see what the average 9600k was clocking to and with how much voltage. When I entered my first overclock settings I just entered 50x and 1.4v vcore with a LLC setting in the middle of my motherboards range and it was rock solid stable. Sadly it wouldn't go to 5.1Ghz even with 1.45v vcore but it was a very early bios and Gigabyte has improved the bios massively since then. I did manage to tweak the vcore down to 1.35v as well as clock the uncore to 4.7Ghz so that was something. I will have to revisit my bios at some point and see if I can achieve more now that the bios has matured.
It seems Gigabyte did a major overhaul of the bios for the Z390 but unfortunately not the Z370. All imginy should do is update to the 15b bios released last month.

I've got both the Z370 Gaming 3 and Z390 Aorus Master. There is a large difference in the power regulation and delivery between the two. The Z390's VRM barely go above 40c whereas the Z370's could hit 100c with similar clocks/voltages.

Last edited:
Soldato
It seems Gigabyte did a major overhaul of the bios for the Z390 but unfortunately not the Z370. All imginy should do is update to the 15b bios released last month.

I've got both the Z370 Gaming 3 and Z390 Aorus Master. There is a large difference in the power regulation and deliver between the two. The Z390's VRM barely go above 40c whereas the Z370's could hit 100c with similar clocks/voltages.

My VRMs gets to 71-74c when the 8086k is stressed

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the help guys.

I got the latest bios and stuck the 9700k in there yesterday and everything went smoothly.

I booted up and motherboard had automatically set everything for me it's at 4.7/4.8 and temps are fine and it's playing games fine so I'm not going to change any bios settings my self.

On hardware monitor it's at about 1.25v and highest temps i see while gaming were 50's.

Soldato
I think Id buy the 9900k due to the higher clockspeed, then you have more chance getting it to 5ghz on all cores. My 8086k runs at 4.0ghz at default and it starts to get tosty at 5.0ghz+. But I am using the same cpu cooler as I had for my 2500k cpu, the Thermalright True Black 120... The colour of the cpu fan and the black of the cooler, goes very nicely with the rest of the stuff in my smallish case, so I didnt want to get rid of it. I could push my cpu higher then 4.9ghz with a better cooler, but its not like i will gain much from another 100 to 200mhz more, 5ghz just sounds better then 4.9ghz:D

aHEGfFV.jpg

I am guessing new 9900k's will have the same fate as the newest 8700k's had vs 8086k's? because intel now making binned 9900ks's I assume the loser chips end up as 9900k's?

Back
Top Bottom