• UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
For no reason at all (or maybe because I saw a 'fan render' of some sort), I'm expecting the console to come with whatever storage size it comes with, but have expansion slots for an additional cartridge.
Yeah I recon they will do that. The sticks will be small, so won’t take much space anyways. That way if one does go 500gb and struggles for space at a later date, can just whack another 1tb in easily.

Associate
I have my eyes on the LG CX48 will be ideal, though OLED image retention has me worried.

Have had my C7 since Oct 2018 and does not have one bit of image retention despite COUNTLESS hours gaming on it so don't be put off by any scaremongering. All that is required is to turn on pixel shifting and the TV does the rest. OLED is leaps and bounds ahead of anything else with its contrast and HDR capabilities.

Shawrey

Soldato
That's not necessarily true. A lot of data has to be duplicated for games on disc/HDD. With an SSD with no seek times, data duplication can be eliminated. So games might get smaller. And Sony have said that you can choose which parts of a game to install. If you don't like multiplayer, you won't have to install that bit. If you're playing single player and you've reached chapter 4, then you can uninstall chapters 1-3. Well that's if the developers actually implement all those new features. :p

I think you only need to look at the equivalent titles on PC to see that games are going to keep getting bigger regardless. The option not to install certain features you don't need will help if they're used, but realistically we're not far off 100GB games being the norm. You'll be lucky to get three or four of those installed on a 500GB console and still have enough room for updates etc.

Don
I think you only need to look at the equivalent titles on PC to see that games are going to keep getting bigger regardless. The option not to install certain features you don't need will help if they're used, but realistically we're not far off 100GB games being the norm. You'll be lucky to get three or four of those installed on a 500GB console and still have enough room for updates etc.

You'd be shocked if Sony haven't taken all this into consideration, unless of course, those major companies who make external hard drives aren't paying Sony top dollar to keep the storage to a minimum...

Man of Honour
I would not buy a TV now if it is specifically for the PS5. TV standards are terrible and there is no guarantee that your particular TVs version of HDR or VRR will be fully supported.

Soldato
You'd be shocked if Sony haven't taken all this into consideration, unless of course, those major companies who make external hard drives aren't paying Sony top dollar to keep the storage to a minimum...

I don't think there's anything specifically untoward going on, I'm just not convinced there's a need to offer a slightly cheaper, crippled version of the console at launch that can only store a handful of games at once. If their plan is to offer some kind of expensive proprietary storage expansion that maintains the same level of performance, then we've somewhat gone backwards from the current option to upgrade the drive ourselves or attach a USB one.

Hopefully they'll start talking some more about this stuff soon because the rumour mills are getting slightly out of control!

Man of Honour
we've somewhat gone backwards from the current option to upgrade the drive ourselves or attach a USB one.

People keep using extremely slow and cheap storage devices, which means that developers could not assume a minimum level of storage performance.

This will end up being a big problem for the PS5 with its rumoured high performance SSD, unless games installed to the external devices are streamed to the internal drive as needed in a similar way to only a few levels of a game being downloaded at a time if relying on streaming the game from the internet.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
People keep using extremely slow and cheap storage devices, which means that developers could not assume a minimum level of storage performance.

This will end up being a big problem for the PS5 with its rumoured high performance SSD, unless games installed to the external devices are streamed to the internal drive as needed in a similar way to only a few levels of a game being downloaded at a time if relying on streaming the game from the internet.
My guess is they will just offer proprietory ssd which you can buy to expand. You may be able to still plug an hdd to it but it will not be for installing games on.

To me it makes sense, as even with 1tb people here will not be happy and will want to add at least another 1tb to it. I am sure Sony would not mind charging £100-150 for it for those who want it.

Soldato
I would not buy a TV now if it is specifically for the PS5. TV standards are terrible and there is no guarantee that your particular TVs version of HDR or VRR will be fully supported.
Eh:confused:. VRR is part of the HDMI 2.1 standard as is static (hdr10) and dynamic ( DV,10+). I think it's just licencing affects the dynamic support.

Associate
Eh:confused:. VRR is part of the HDMI 2.1 standard as is static (hdr10) and dynamic ( DV,10+). I think it's just licencing affects the dynamic support.

Exactly my thoughts when I read what Kreee put. HDR is a standard and works on HDMI 2.0 specifically VRR is a standard that requires HDMI 2.1 so either PS5 supports it or it wont.

HDMI 2.1 will be the sole reason for changing to an LG c9 or CX from my current c7 which handles current HDR and 4k60 just fine. I will only consider upgrading to a VRR/HDMI 2.1 set if games on the PS5 widely support it.

Shawrey

Man of Honour
Ah, I wish it was as simple at it "just being HDR". You have HDR10, HDR10+, HLG, Dolby Vision, and other proprietary standards.

Same with VRR.

Caporegime
Yes VRR is a standard included in HDMI 2.1 but it’s only optional. So there will be TV sets out there with HDMI 2.1 but might not be VRR ready. Folks will need to keep their eyes peeled.

Back
Top Bottom