Cargo ship holiday trip

Associate
Hi i'm posting for a friend who is looking at travelling to save money to arrive at a location to then have a holiday.. link

His message to me:
I had an idea...I wanna run it by you guys

This summer rather than get a long haul flight somewhere exotic I could pay to travel by cargo ship...to say, the US or somewhere in South America.

Voyage might take a couple of weeks but then the journey becomes part of the holiday

Is this a silly idea?

My first thought is it might be a bit boring. Has anyone been on a cargo ship holiday before? :D

Caporegime
I was expecting it to be much cheaper... :o

Yeah I think it has been overdone a bit.

Also not exactly feasible for most people as the actual time off itself is much more valuable than trying to save a few quid on some longer journey.

Probs more suitable for an eccentric retired couple with time on their hand or some students with a long summer vacation.

Man of Honour
Surely that is going to be dull? I don’t see the appeal.

Maybe spice it up with the addition of The Thing?

To be fair that is an excellent sequel idea. Sort of a mix between The Thing and... Ghost Ship? Yeah.

I’d watch it.

Associate
OP
Yeah i've said to him that you'll need a lot of laptop entertainment and books, and things as I guess many would become bored with nothing to do.
My friend says Aye, cruise ships are floating coffins..

Man of Honour
There are a few people on YouTube who've documented doing it so you can get quite a lot of information from there on the experiences and what you need to do, etc. potentially if you want to get away from it all for a week or so some of them seem to have quite nice facilities and relative isolation but could be pretty boring otherwise.

Soldato
I work 3 months on 3 months off as an engineering officer on LNG carriers, where I find myself at the minute. Off duty, there’s little to do other than watch stuff on your laptop/tv room, read or use the rather limited gym on board, so time tends to drag. I’ll usually do paperwork in my own time, such as updating the preventative maintenance system, permits to work for the next day etc just for something to do. As a passenger with no official duties, I can only imagine it would be worse.

Might be interesting if you do, say a week passing through somewhere interesting, like Suez or the Bosporous, but otherwise, it’ll get tedious, fast.

Back
Top Bottom