• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any way to check the health/lifespan of a second-hand GPU?

Associate
I bought a used GPU off eBay for gaming and I'm wondering if there's a way I could check if it's been used for crypto mining or anything else that might severely affect the lifespan of the card? Or should modern cards last for decades with high use? I last replaced my GPU about 8 years ago so I'd ideally like this one to last the same length of time....

Man of Honour
There is no standard way that I'm aware of - the card doesn't store anything like power on hours, etc. in the realm of theoretical someone might be able to pull data off certain chips via SPI/I2C and get some idea but that is very advanced stuff and no software exists that can just do that for any old card.

Last edited:
Soldato
The only obvious signs that a card had been used heavily would be physical things like the fans being on the way out, but presumably you'd have noticed that already were it the case. Other than that there's nothing on a graphics card that will degrade to the naked eye other than the thermal paste, but that's often hard and crusty even on brand new cards, so it tells you nothing really.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the tips guys; Will inspect it when it arrives. Annoyingly, right after I bought it, someone else offered me a brand new sealed one for $10 more...! The eBay seller says 'no returns' but if I find anything wrong with it I'll definitely be sending it back and buying the brand new one instead.

Associate
Mining GPU's sometimes have custom BIOS's on them. If the card does not run as fast as similar cards in benchmarks you may need to to flash it.

Soldato
Really?

I would plug it in and just use it. Seems like a total waste of time to me

Second hand no warranty , you would want to test it straight away and send it back if faulty.

You might play a game of overwatch for months and it be fine then switch to something more demanding like battlefield and have it crash every few hours.

Back
Top Bottom