Spec me : 4G mobile router with ethernet

Don
Due to a mess up by my ISP, I'll be without internet for 8 days :o

I have an unlimited 3 SIM, just need a 4G router with ethernet to connect to my Unifi USG as a secondary link.

Only using it for a week, then it will spend it's life on a shelf.

Associate
Gone for this..

Teltonika 4G-RUT240

I've been using one for 8 months as a 4G backup WAN to Virgin Media, also to a Unifi USG . Vastly better than the NetGear LB2120 I tried before that which would crash regularly and also stop the USGs WAN1 working even when it was up.

However if you are going to use it in pass through mode though please ensure you've got firmware v1.11.1+ (or pre v1.7.0) due to a pass through bug:

https://community.teltonika.lt/8115/passthrough-on-latest-update

Don
OP
Ah, that's a cool feature, was going to just use LAN2 and set it as WAN2 on my USG.

New firmware and boot loader downloaded ready :)

Latest firmware is from the 12th Nov, so they seem like they keep on top of updates.

Associate
I presume it's all up and running?

I've had mine as fail-over for my VM connection for some time and its surprising how often it kicks in for a while and I am now glad its there when required.

We also get a fair few short power cuts and unlike the VM service, 4G broadband keeps working for us so that's a bonus if using a UPS for home networking kit.

Don
OP
I presume it's all up and running?

I've had mine as fail-over for my VM connection for some time and its surprising how often it kicks in for a while and I am now glad its there when required.

We also get a fair few short power cuts and unlike the VM service, 4G broadband keeps working for us so that's a bonus if using a UPS for home networking kit.

Yup, working well, I get ~30Mbps from it with 3 out of 5 bars of signal. I could put it in the attic for better speed, but I can't be bothered for the day or so left that I need it for.

Certainly more stable than the Huawei mobile hotspot I was using. I can play BFV on it. Plays horribly compared to a 11ms VDSL connection, but it's enough to keep me playing.

Soldato
How does this router perform in a 24/7 situation? Looking to try something new to run a few IP cameras over. Don’t want something dropping the connection on a regular basis.

Don
OP
Seemed like a solid unit to me. It's on the shelf in work doing nothing now as my connection is all sorted.

You'd need to use dyndns or something unless they are pushing the feed

Soldato
If you're planning to access the cameras directly then 4G might not be suitable as unless you get a SIM that specifically comes with a public IP you'll be going through CGNAT so won't be able to connect directly to the cameras using port forwarding or similar.

Soldato
Using cloud service. Simplest way of getting round it. Wanted to try other routers as these DLinks I had been using have a habit of disconnecting and staying disconnected until you rebooted it.

Soldato
Seemed like a solid unit to me. It's on the shelf in work doing nothing now as my connection is all sorted.

You'd need to use dyndns or something unless they are pushing the feed

Did you have any loss in connection during your use and how was it for signal? Read a few reviews with good positive comments but the odd person complaining about it having poor signal, constant connection dropouts and one person saying the build quality of the device was pathetic, cheap electronics etc.

Don
OP
Did you have any loss in connection during your use and how was it for signal? Read a few reviews with good positive comments but the odd person complaining about it having poor signal, constant connection dropouts and one person saying the build quality of the device was pathetic, cheap electronics etc.

Worked perfectly for me, it didn't drop during 6 hour gaming sessions. Didn't notice any drops at all.

Was on the latest firmware.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
@bledd I've just got one of these to compare to my B525, do you run this in Bridge Mode or Passthrough?

As the one thing I couldn't do with the B525 is access the management once it was in Bridge Mode.

Edit: After a day of testing I have gone back to the B525 and i'll return this unit, also sorted the management access with a pseudo interface.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wish I had saw this thread sooner.

I just ordered a TP-Link Archer MR600 last night.

That Teltonika looks superb.

EDIT:
Returned the MR600 without opening it and ordered the RUT240.

You cannot even manually set the 4G frequency on the MR600, complete pants.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom