My thermal flask test thread.

Associate
OP
Well my results are in. Not too shabby for a cheap double walled flask. Interesting how it lost 15c in the first 6 hours and only 10c in the final 6 hours. AndyCr15, would you be so kind as to publish my data into the spreadsheet. Thanks. :)

Product: Mountain Warehouse Food Flask
Size: 1.2L
Price: £14.99
Link:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mountain-W...ehouse+flask&qid=1579888650&s=clothing&sr=8-7
Tested By: Merlin5
Pre-Warmed: Yes
Starting: 98c
6hrs: 83c
12hrs: 73c
Thermometer Used: Thermapen 4 Pro
Conditions: Room temperature (17-20c)

Done your results are in the spreadsheet i added it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have the Esbit and Zojirushi Amazon links and will perhaps buy one of these, as at present I don't have a decent thermo flask (just the poor performing Chilly's). I like the design of the Zojirushi but all the reviews say it drips and leaks, so perhaps I'll order an Esbit and test it. I did wonder about ordering both, but I think the Zojirushi comes from Japan and I might end up paying costs on a return.

Associate
OP
I have the Esbit and Zojirushi Amazon links and will perhaps buy one of these, as at present I don't have a decent thermo flask (just the poor performing Chilly's). I like the design of the Zojirushi but all the reviews say it drips and leaks, so perhaps I'll order an Esbit and test it. I did wonder about ordering both, but I think the Zojirushi comes from Japan and I might end up paying costs on a return.

That is awesome Andy, i look forward to the result/s.

I bet the Esbit will do the job for you for sure Andy as you say you need a decent flask.

Anyways the esbit if you don't like it then you can perhaps send it back and get your money back, after testing it.

Dan.

Last edited:
Caporegime
latest

Associate
OP
All the tests are about keeping liquid warm, what about the best flask for keeping water cool? Is it expected to be the same outcome?

I don't know will have to test it in the oven at 50 c, but can't because of the amount of time it would take plus they would want to use the oven.. i might possibly do a 6 hour test over night from midnight to 6 am but because of my body clock i would be too tired you see.

Regarding the manufacturers claim right about 40 hours hot or so and so amount of hours cold, it is very likely they tested that at 22 c room temperature where as i am testing mine in the freezer.

For me hot is 65c at the very least i know because i tested and it did scold my hand a bit, either way i prefer this way of testing and giving the temperature so people can make up their mind of how many temperature degrees and for them to call it hot etc,

Dan.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@AndyCr15 i need columns in the spreadsheet ranging from 1hour 2hours 3hours 4hhours 5h upto 6hhours (you don't have to add 6hours as it is already there) you know where we put down our recorded temperatures, reason is this is for my cold water test and i do not know how to do that in the spreadsheet.

Thanks,

Dan.

Associate
OP
I had to check the temperature twice because i could not believe this cheap £11.71 flask (Thermos ThermoCafé Stainless Steel Flask, 1 Litre) is hanging in there with the big boys.

So far from 97c start to 79c after 6 hrs in the freezer.

Why pay more for similar performance regarding thermal retention heh well not so similar if you want a step up from this it has to be the thermos ultimate flask but then some would want a flask bigger than 900ml that the thermos ultimate goes upto but yeah(not saying this flask is rubbish it can manage 65c after being in the freezer for 12 hrs should be hot enough, whether the flask is half full etc but with the tests i do the flask is always full with hot water) - but people will have different preferences some want best heat retention, some don't want to pay a lot etc,

I was expecting it to be pants and good at the same time.

Thus far the thermos i tested offer the best bang for your money.

Dan.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I feel gutted i was expecting a lot from the yeti rambler flask bottle.

It is pants (for the money), go with the £10-12 inexpensive thermos thermo cafe instead

I had to check the temperature several times, only 73c @ 6hrs.

Anyways what do i expect, my mission was to expose what was best and weed out the freaks/rip offs anyways.

Dan.

Associate
OP
It is a close call regarding thermos ultimate 900ml vs the Stanley master vacuum bottle 1300ml

I honestly think quad vac is not a sales gimmick or marketing rubbish, it does save heat compared to a normal double vacuum bottle, the reason why i say that is because from the results on the spreadsheet it is quite clear the master bottle vs the thermos ultimate, the thermos ultimate cannot out last the Stanley master bottle.

So i prefer the master bottle, the thermos ultimate is like a rabbit going fast and then gets tired whereas the master bottle is the endurance runner so to speak.

So yea what i am trying to say is that is this below.

Stanley master bottle results 0h 97c 6h 87c (3 degree difference when compared to thermos ultimate at 6 hours which is 84c so 87(master bottle) take away 83 (thermos ultimate) is 3c - 3 degree diffference) 12h 78c (5 degree difference)

thermos ultimate results 0h 97c 6h 84c 12h 73c

This degree difference between thermos ultimate and Stanley will get bigger and bigger over time which is what i think i hope that makes sense because the quadvac in Stanley is saving heat whiles the temperature goes down - i am open to what you think about this if this is rubbish let me know please.

So degree difference between thermos and Stanley master bottle could be like 7 degree difference at 18 hours or like 12 degree difference at 24 hours to be approximate so the master bottle drops more and more slowly over time which is why i call this bottle the endurance runner.

Anyways, for people who can afford and want the very best that i know of it has to be the master bottle.

For people on a budget it has to be the thermo cafe it has more bang for buck when compared to the thermos ultimate, regarding heat retention per £/$ so to speak.

This image direct from officially from Stanley them self's backs up the heat difference that i am talking about but compares to the Stanley classic bottle not the thermos ultimate but same thing i think.

thermal_retention_55e53422-fedd-462b-8335-0670d950b4c3.jpg

If this is rubbish please let me know.

Dan.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom