Help with how to tidy messy shoe cupboard - base mounted drawers?

Caporegime
Hi all

We had our kitchen done a couple of years ago and got a 'boot bench' put in, but never really considered proper storage for it.

It's a bit of a mess and I want to sort it out:

hoiy4nBh.jpg

I was thinking a couple of base mounted drawer runners with a platform or drawer screwed into them, but I can't seem to find the required hardware anywhere online, as the runners all seem to be side mounted.

Base mounting is my preference as I won't have to install more wood in the cabinet nor measure the distance between runners accurately.

Any views on my best options are gratefully received!

Caporegime
OP
Could you not just fix normal runners to the bottom of the unit and mount the drawer to the runners?
That sounds sensible but I don't know what normal runners are. They all seem to be designed to be side mounted. Could you link to an example please?

I'm assuming side mounted ones aren't designed to be mounted on the base of a cabinet.

Soldato
You'll want those runners that use ball bearings rather than wheels. The extended arm bit can't come loose from the mount then.

Most runners tend to use wheels as they're cheaper, but I imagine if you mount them on the side they'll just fall off.

Soldato
You might want to consider that you'll get half the number of shoes in there (if even that) if you put draws in it.

It might be easier just to ditch/donate any pairs you no longer wear and stack the rest nicely inside.

Associate
That sounds sensible but I don't know what normal runners are. They all seem to be designed to be side mounted. Could you link to an example please?

I'm assuming side mounted ones aren't designed to be mounted on the base of a cabinet.

Sorry, yes under mounted runners will do it not ‘normal ones’ These would work but they are soft close and more expensive than the Screwfix ones:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07B9K51MK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GDulEbV24HRXJ

Caporegime
OP
Thanks all.

They're meant to be side mounted. Unless they're designed to work in the horizontal plane, drawer runners like that won't work properly.

You might want to consider that you'll get half the number of shoes in there (if even that) if you put draws in it.

It might be easier just to ditch/donate any pairs you no longer wear and stack the rest nicely inside.

That's a good point. I think the answer is both better storage and getting rid of some of the shoes.

Sorry, yes under mounted runners will do it not ‘normal ones’ These would work but they are soft close and more expensive than the Screwfix ones:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07B9K51MK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GDulEbV24HRXJ

The instructions for those look like they're designed to be side mounted, i.e. screwed into the side of the carcass?

musty, rather than messy ? if sports shoes are in active use, I'm surprised you haven't needed some ventialtion on that ? eg slatted front,

but wire baskets on runners eg. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pull-Basket-Drawer-Roller-Runners/dp/B01LX44YB4 stainless would be nice

Yes fair point, it's not very well ventilated in there.

I've looked at those baskets but again, they need to be screwed into the side of the carcass.

I saw a really good and simple idea about sticking tension rods in there and arranging them into a shoe rack, but I think where I'm getting to is to buy some center mount runners and make a box / drawer from the left over kitchen slabs.

Caporegime
your shoes all look a state having them out in the open would look terrible. the other things is you have far too many shoes in that small space.

i have 1 pair of trainers i keep out. the rest are all in wardrobes, etc.

i basically have a daily pair and all the fancy ones are kept locked away for special occasions.

Caporegime
OP
Because I know you're all waiting with baited breath, this was my solution in the end...an extra shelf from an offcut left over from when we did the kitchen. Total extra material cost: £0.

tRAkqTKh.jpg

I mounted it on some left over Ikea push-in shelf plugs.

Back
Top Bottom