Star Trek: Picard

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Was hoping for a few more. They said that the first 3 are basically the pilot and that we’ve not seen most of the new characters yet.

I can’t wait to rewatch it.
Maybe they will go 12 or 14 for season 2. As someone else mentioned I can’t see them doing 20 with how old he is now. But you never know I guess.

Soldato
so as a guess how far did she jump up those stairs? 40m? if thats the case...meh. I really enjoyed everything else.
Lol yeah that was the only part of the show I laughed at. Well maybe also at Number 1 being a rubbish actor for the cameras as he clearly can’t stay still!

Great start as expected and it made me realise what a treasure Sir Patrick is.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
For the trekkies here - was the synthetic attack on mars part of other shows, or just exposition for this one?

Soldato
I've seen a lot of criticism for the first episode, but I actually really enjoyed it. Maybe my expectations were set too low by STD? This is way better than STD at any rate.

A lot of people have a problem with Starfleet and the Federation behaving selfishly regarding the Romulan supernova, but I'm okay with it. Nothing lasts forever, including the idealism of a galactic superpower. They had just taken a serious pummelling by the Borg, and then the Dominion in very quick succession. Of course they'd turn inwards, become less trusting, and less willing to extend a helping hand to an old enemy. I've always wanted to see a Star Trek set in the distant future, where the Federation is an old corrupt empire in decline. Separatist factions popping up all over the place, with worlds trying to fight for their independence. This isn't that, but it's a step in that general direction.

As for the Irish Romulan, it was kinda jarring, but I'm still okay with it.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
For the trekkies here - was the synthetic attack on mars part of other shows, or just exposition for this one?

Written for this show. We're 18-19 years past the last film in the timeline ("Nemesis", which IMO competes with "Into Darkness" for the 'Worst Trek Film Evarrr™' award), so basically anything written for this that doesn't expicitly reference the earlier series is all new.

Man of Honour
I've seen a lot of criticism for the first episode, but I actually really enjoyed it. Maybe my expectations were set too low by STD? This is way better than STD at any rate.

A lot of people have a problem with Starfleet and the Federation behaving selfishly regarding the Romulan supernova, but I'm okay with it. Nothing lasts forever, including the idealism of a galactic superpower. They had just taken a serious pummelling by the Borg, and then the Dominion in very quick succession. Of course they'd turn inwards, become less trusting, and less willing to extend a helping hand to an old enemy. I've always wanted to see a Star Trek set in the distant future, where the Federation is an old corrupt empire in decline. Separatist factions popping up all over the place, with worlds trying to fight for their independence. This isn't that, but it's a step in that general direction.

As for the Irish Romulan, it was kinda jarring, but I'm still okay with it.

Agreed. The federation have always been flawed. Just watch the undiscovered country. From another post -

An organization that would:

Conspire with the Klingons to assassinate their own ambassador

Secretly develop a phasing cloak in violation of treaty

Commit war crimes against the Romulans to bring them into a war they’re neutral in

Maintain an off-books espionage wing that commits assassinations

Have an admiral cause a panic to try to instigate martial law

Secretly try to relocate a society to harvest their planet’s rings

Would definitely not react the exact same way they did when the Klingons had their disaster when it was the Romulans’ turn.

Soldato
Is the supernova from new star trek, which I thought was a long time after Kirk, I.e. couple of hundred years.

The 2009 film is set 129 years after Kelvin so I suppose the times might marry up as I know Kirk and Jean-luc did meet up in one of the films (although there may have been some time stuff going on in that one too). Also not sure if she's dead or not, and what's with the acid breath?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom