The burning question, would a hybrid be better for me?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
no, it is NOT possible to plug it in, its parked 1/4 a mile away over night
Balls. Sucks as it’s the perfect car for your needs :D

The problem with hybrids is that the petrol engine most likely will kick in anyway on your commute, as mentioned above.

Underboss
OP
The problem with hybrids is that the petrol engine most likely will kick in anyway on your commute, as mentioned above.

ah, ok thank you

Question still stands though

Petrol or Hybrid over 10 + years for :

Leave for work around 5:30am 5 days a week, drive around 5-6 miles to work
Leave work at 3, come straight home, so another 5-6 Miles

One of the days I do this journey around 6pm, so that day becomes double miles

Other days I could be doing this again other days 20 miles more

Odd occaation I visit my mate who lives 100 or so miles away

Plug in is a no no. No where to plug it in, also I use it frequently (6/7 days a week)

Averaging 7000 Miles a year

im talking at MPG, tax, running costs etc etc

mjt

mjt

Soldato
ah, ok thank you

Question still stands though

Petrol or Hybrid over 10 + years for :

Leave for work around 5:30am 5 days a week, drive around 5-6 miles to work
Leave work at 3, come straight home, so another 5-6 Miles

One of the days I do this journey around 6pm, so that day becomes double miles

Other days I could be doing this again other days 20 miles more

Odd occaation I visit my mate who lives 100 or so miles away

Plug in is a no no. No where to plug it in, also I use it frequently (6/7 days a week)

Averaging 7000 Miles a year

im talking at MPG, tax, running costs etc etc
I’d get something with a small petrol engine TBH. How much are you looking to spend anyway?

Soldato
I’d get something with a small petrol engine TBH. How much are you looking to spend anyway?

If you can't plug it in and your journey isn't nose to tail stop start city traffic I'd agree with the above and go for a small petrol engine.

Do you need anything specific in the car or is it just a commuter for you? Does it need to be exciting in any capacity? A Honda Jazz would be supremely boring but do exactly what you need.

Underboss
OP
If you can't plug it in and your journey isn't nose to tail stop start city traffic I'd agree with the above and go for a small petrol engine.

ok , thanks for all the help everyone

if i add this on, will you change your mind ? :

Driving an old Focus 1.8, computer says 28 MPG
on a normal week (work and going swimming, to the shops etc) is costing me approx £1300 in fuel alone (under 7K), with another £235 tax a year, so approx £1500 a year

i am hoping to cut this down by half (if its possible)

mjt

mjt

Soldato
But will buying something newer but more economical offset the fuel bills once you factor in depreciation? Unlikely!

Man of Honour
My point exactly.

A very uninspiring range that contains cars such as the CT which is what, 10 years old now and still being sold new. It looks like 2006 in there.

The GS was kinda ok until they went mad with the styling, but to be honest you need to really really really want a hybrid to pick anything Lexus make over the competition.

And given that Lexus is the best range of hybrid cars it rather sums it up doesn't it? Nobody else seems to bother or if they do they are plug in hybrids usually based on the worst model in the range. I'm looking at you BMW, where the 530e is a 520i with a boot full of batteries and a 40 litre petrol tank, great. I suppose if you like filling with fuel every 250 miles then that's great.

Soldato
With such a low yearly mileage but long ownership period, I’d say maintenance and depreciation are your biggest concerns. 10mpg delta is going to make sweet fa difference overall.

Soldato
I'm looking at you BMW, where the 530e is a 520i with a boot full of batteries and a 40 litre petrol tank, great. I suppose if you like filling with fuel every 250 miles then that's great.

Didn't have you down as a company car tax dodger?

If you use them for appropriate use it can be more like 1500miles between refills. Only occasionally needing to refill an empty car to empty again on the same journey.

Soldato
My point exactly.

And given that Lexus is the best range of hybrid cars it rather sums it up doesn't it? Nobody else seems to bother or if they do they are plug in hybrids usually based on the worst model in the range..

As you have seemed to have pigeon holes decent cars into the premium sector then you can’t really ignore the Porsche Panamera and cayenne flagship model plugin hybrids?

But then we are talking about replacing an old focus here so I’m not really sure why something like a Prius, Auris or Insight fails the brief?

what’s the budget for this costly new car to save pennies? I would focus on what you want, it might already be the Focus.

Underboss
OP
As you have seemed to have pigeon holes decent cars into the premium sector then you can’t really ignore the Porsche Panamera and cayenne flagship model plugin hybrids?

But then we are talking about replacing an old focus here so I’m not really sure why something like a Prius, Auris or Insight fails the brief?

what’s the budget for this costly new car to save pennies? I would focus on what you want, it might already be the Focus.

well, ive been looking on and off for 2 years now

my list as a minimum seems to come back with cars costing £10K +

Auto
Focus Sized car
LED lights or Xenons
LED DRL
Automatic Emergency Braking
Blutooth
USB port for my music
Sat Nav (optional) (i use my TomTom but id like integrated )
Parking Sensors
Folding Mirrors

1L Ecoboost Titanium X = £12K minimum
Toyota Auris Hybrid £12K minimum
Lexus CT200h Hybrid £12K minimum
Leon 1.4 Petrol FR near enough the same
others seem to be higher fuel consumption or tax

Hybrid seems best option ?
£0 tax
More economical
Same / less service costs
Less moving parts = more reliable

thats what ive been looking at , but i could be wrong here

keeping the car so as i thought manufactures are only going to be making Hybrids and Electric cars soon, and more and more people going over to Hybrids and Electric cars, then cost of hybrids wont depreciate as fast as the petrol alternative will

Man of Honour
Didn't have you down as a company car tax dodger?

If you use them for appropriate use it can be more like 1500miles between refills. Only occasionally needing to refill an empty car to empty again on the same journey.

It has 20 miles of electric range and a 2 litre turbo petrol engine with a 40 litre fuel tank. 1500 miles between fillups? Only if your usage is better suited to a
moped

Back
Top Bottom