Dampness around window

dal

dal

Associate
So I had this window replaced just over a year ago and I'm wondering if this is down to the window not being fitted correctly. I honestly cant remember if I had this much condensation on the window reveal before but I suspect not.

BfVduli.jpg.png

Associate
That definitely seems like penetrating water.

Can you get a shot/close up of the exterior and post up? Has this just happened or has it been like it since the window was replaced?

dal

dal

Associate
OP
I cant remember it being this damp before the window was fitted. It has been siliconed around the outside as you can see.

The dampness is on both sides of the window and there is some at the top as well.

Tea Drinker
Don
We had the same, the old hessian tar tray over the window had started to break up allowing the water in the cavity to pass by and soak the inside walls.

Have you got any weep joints vents over the window?

It's a bigish job to retrofit trays above windows.

Associate
A whole picture of the window plus surrounding wall might help as well but I wouldn't say that little bit would cause what you posted initially...is this ground or first floor+?

How old is the property?

Soldato
From that pic it looks like the silicone has not bonded to the brick properly, possibly the brick was damp when the silicone was applied, it would have bonded for a short while then given up.

dal

dal

Associate
OP
Hi, property was built in 1970 & the dampness is on 1st floor. The fitter is going to have a look tomorrow ( who is also my neighbour ).

Soldato
I had a similar issue but it leaked out of the bottom corner of the window, it was rain water though. When it rained it got in through a gap in the sealant, resealing it solved the issue

Back
Top Bottom