Huel: The Future of Food ..

Soldato
What do you mean by at a molecular level? GI is simply related to how long it takes to break things down and release energy into your bloodstream. That number is the same whether considering macro level, molecular level or anything.

They contrast oats with Maltodextrin, saying oats are so much better because they have a low GI. But that really shouldn't apply to the heavily milled oats.

I've queried this with Huel (I'm being a bit of a nob about this I know) as I'm interested to see what they say.

Soldato
What do you mean by at a molecular level? GI is simply related to how long it takes to break things down and release energy into your bloodstream. That number is the same whether considering macro level, molecular level or anything.

Surely that goes against the argument of milling then changes the GI, no? (Again, I'm not trying to be awkward, I know nothing of this and I'm trying to understand it)

Caporegime
I find it easier just to weigh the product than use the scoop, every level scoop ends up weighing a different amount because it doesn't fill the scoop totally, you can end up with a cavity in the middle of the scoop and not know, scoops should be avoided for those looking for calorie control!

Associate
How about making your own Huel, cheaper and you can tailor to your specific needs:-

https://www.completefoods.co/

UK specific recipes:-

https://www.completefoods.co/diy/recipes?countries=GB

My worry with Huel is the intrinsic quality of the ingredients, for example I doubt they are using whey protein isolate for there source of protein...

Anyway I will post a recipe shortly that is similar to Huel V3, with the same macros etc.

Soldato
Huel is vegan so definitely no whey:

The protein in Huel Powder comes from four of the main six ingredients: pea protein, oats, brown rice protein and flaxseed. This ensures a good range of all amino acids and that there are sufficient amounts of the essential amino acids. Rice protein is high in the sulphur-containing amino acids cysteine and methionine, plus it contains good amounts of all the others, but is very low in lysine. Pea protein is low in cysteine and methionine but high in lysine. This is why we selected these two sources, ensuring everything was covered whilst keeping Huel Powder vegan. Plus there’s additional protein from the oats, which are reasonably high in all essential aminos, and the flaxseed.

The main thing for me with Huel is that the leucine content is sufficiently high (since this is the specific essential amino acid responsible for triggering muscle protein synthesis), with the threshold being around 2.5g. 150g of Huel is slightly over 2.9g if memory serves, so a standard 3 scoops/150g is sufficient.

EDIT - I'd say you can't knock the thought that's gone into it - James Collier, the nutritionist who designed it isn't a mug.

Last edited:
Soldato
How about making your own Huel, cheaper and you can tailor to your specific needs:-

https://www.completefoods.co/

UK specific recipes:-

https://www.completefoods.co/diy/recipes?countries=GB

My worry with Huel is the intrinsic quality of the ingredients, for example I doubt they are using whey protein isolate for there source of protein...

Anyway I will post a recipe shortly that is similar to Huel V3, with the same macros etc.

"The protein in Huel Powder comes from four of the main six ingredients: pea protein, oats, brown rice protein and flaxseed. This ensures a good range of all amino acids and that there are sufficient amounts of the essential amino acids."

Associate
Huel is vegan so definitely no whey:

The main thing for me with Huel is that the leucine content is sufficiently high (since this is the specific essential amino acid responsible for triggering muscle protein synthesis), with the threshold being around 2.5g. 150g of Huel is slightly over 2.9g if memory serves, so a standard 3 scoops/150g is sufficient.

EDIT - I'd say you can't knock the thought that's gone into it - James Collier, the nutritionist who designed it isn't a mug.

Never said he was, but it is a product being made to a very cheap price as such corners will have been cut and quality will suffer as a result.

I am sure the product is fine if used a couple of times a week, to live on the stuff is a complete nonsense!

Caporegime
This quote from the wired article makes the most sense -

"We don’t yet know all the vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients and other substances that make up whole, natural food — so how can we possibly recreate it?” she asks.

Which is why I wouldn't have it for every single meal. But certainly for an initial month or two I will have it 2x daily and see how I get on. In the future, it'll probably be something I have as a post-exercise breakfast drink.

Oh and also cost. Eating quality natural foods like meat and veg on keto was costing me an arm and a leg. Only having to have one meal out of three might work out a bit cheaper.

Soldato
There are a few people the live of Huel 100% and have done for years now with zero issues. So make of that what you will probably a better diet than 99% of people eat.

I have it 5 days a week for breakfast and dinner.

Caporegime
There are a few people the live of Huel 100% and have done for years now with zero issues. So make of that what you will probably a better diet than 99% of people eat.

Yeah, I mean even if you had nothing but Huel, you'd be getting 100% of the RDA nutrients daily which a typical diet of cereal, salad/sandwich and hamburger/fries wouldn't give you. :D

Man of Honour
No chance I could go 100% huel. I've been having breakfast > huel > huel > dinner for the last two weeks and I've never looked forward to eating dinner more. As cheap and practical as it is, it's just no match for cooking and real food!

Back
Top Bottom