Been scammed!

Caporegime
Can't believe the OP backed out of pursing it. You demand a refund of the £1,800 you paid and threaten to report him to the police and take him to court.

It really is quite a trivial matter to resolve through the county court system and you don't need a solicitor, you write a letter before action to him, and then pay a small fee to lodge a claim against him which you will easily win on the balance of probability due to the significant evidence you have in the form of a witness, facebook listing, and an expert opinion.

Soldato
dont see why the OP is making such a fuss about this.
The guy who sold the car to the OP bought it as spares and repairs. the seller repaired the car and got it a valid mot and sold it to the OP for some profit. OP found out the correct cost for the car but didnt factor in the repair costs to get it through MOT and is now peed and venting on forum. on top of that the OP doesnt even say what car it is, ashamed much?

Nothing wrong here. plenty of insurance writeoffs get repaired and sold on.
If OP bought the car without mot then again its the OP's fault.
since OP done HPi check it would show if its an insurance write off etc

Soldato
@Transform_IT - have you actually looked at the chassis? I mean, is it definitely wrecked or did then seller repair it before selling it on.

Can you verify that the condition of the chassis matches what the previous seller told you on Facebook? It should be pretty obvious if it’s so badly rotted that it’s only fit for spares or repairs.

Soldato
Makes sense. Only time you woukd find out its not structurally safe is at an mot and it would have failed at that point hence sold as spares or repairs.
If op has bought the car it would have been with mot otherwise no point in making a thread about buying a car that has no mot and then complaining about it.

Caporegime
This is a ******* cop out.

Ignore all the crap on here. This guys is pulling a known and very dangerous scam and he is doing something illegal which is easily identifiable and you are in the unique situation where you actually have proof AND a legitimate witness.

Don't be a pansy, someone else's kids might not be so lucky.

Report him to the police citing your evidence. Use that crime reference number to liaise with your bank. You will get your money back once the police have finished any investigation, and hopefully this **** get what he deserves.

^^^ this

Don’t be a numpty OP. The guy screwed you and now you’re just going to bend over.

Small claims court and police tbh... He endangered your kids - does that not mean anything to you?

It’s stuff like not bothering to pursue it or worse the suggestion from one poster that you just pull the same scam yourself that means stuff like this is more common that it should be.

Associate
OP
I'm taking the car to a local professional tomorrow to get his opinion on the status of the vehicle (roadworthy/un-roadworthy. Depending on what comes back will determine what course of action I take.

For everybody asking, the car is an MY00 62,000 Subaru Impreza Wagon UK2000 (no modifications) with MOT until May 2020. The previous MOT's don't raise any alarms and the description on AutoTrader was bob on.

Man of Honour
I'm taking the car to a local professional tomorrow to get his opinion on the status of the vehicle (roadworthy/un-roadworthy. Depending on what comes back will determine what course of action I take.

For everybody asking, the car is an MY00 62,000 Subar Impreza Wagon UK2000 (no modifications) with MOT until May 2020. The previous MOT's don't raise any alarms and the description on AutoTrader was bob on.

That's all well and good, but £1499 sounds too cheap for it...?

Associate
OP
That's all well and good, but £1499 sounds too cheap for it...?

You're not wrong. £1499 or £1500 is extremely cheap. This is the reason I phoned and asked a lot of questions surrounding rust and corrosion. You can pick these cars up now for sub £900 with corrosion and rust on the arches. The WRX STI's are silly money, so don't get confused with them. However, the owner (accused scammer) told me the car was perfect and just had a minor scratch on the rear bumper which the advert showed a specific photo of. I had no reason to disbelieve the guy who told me he was selling quickly due to moving to Spain. As said previously, when confronting him about the car's corrosion and being structurally unsound he lied and said he sold the car because he couldn't afford to insure it. I questioned this and mentioned the emigrating to Spain story, to which he replied: "You must be getting me confused with somebody else".

Permabanned
I have an MY99 Subaru Impreza wagon and it's getting rusty underneath, it's gonna need some welding to pass the next mot, or I'll scrap it. £1800 isn't too cheap at all for that car, mines 300bhp and I'd bite your hand off for 1800, that's more than I paid 7 years ago.

Soldato
For everybody asking, the car is an MY00 62,000 Subaru Impreza Wagon UK2000 (no modifications) with MOT until May 2020. The previous MOT's don't raise any alarms and the description on AutoTrader was bob on.

hmmm..I know the testers can't be too 'brutal' with hammering/poking but assuming the previous MOT in May 2019 (when the guy from facebook owned it?) was legit it seems unlikely it's went from not even having an advisory to being a complete write off/deathtrap due to rust in 7-8 months?

how does the dodgy 'chassis etc' pics sent from the guy on facebook compare to what it looks like now? should be fairly obvious if he's done some welding or just covered up the bad bits in underseal etc

Back
Top Bottom