The FA CUP Fourth Round ** Spoilers ** [24th - 27th January 2020]

Soldato
Should the FA Cup copy the Copa del Rey format? | ESPN FC

The ESPN FC panel gets Spanish football reporter Sid Lowe’s thoughts on the draw for the Copa del Rey round of 16 and how he thinks the changes to the cup’s format have worked. Lowe outlines how making the matches one leg and letting the lower-division side host has made the matches more exciting and competitive. The panel debate what the English FA Cup can take from Spain to put interest back into their competition.

what are your thoughts?

I Like the idea on paper but would it be practical?

Associate
The solution to this is really simple: in all rounds of the competition, allow the teams to decide for themselves if they want a replay, extra-time or straight to penalties when the tie is drawn. Also bring back the ability for teams to agree to switch who hosts the game, so a lower league club can agree to no replay if they get to be away from home and maximise the amount of money they make. I'd also make usage of VAR when ties are played at Premier League grounds an agreeable option or not as well.

In regards to the video above, the FA Cup is the oldest and most prestigious inter-country cup competition in the world. Asking if it should copy an inferior one is like asking if Coca-Cola should stop what they are doing and copy Pepsi.

Don
It would be interesting to know how many FA cup ties we have where a side in League 1 or below have played away at a big PL side. And by big I don't mean away to Southampton or Palace with 20k attendances and cut price tickets as that's no massive benefit to the lower league side. I'm guessing the number is relatively small and the argument for the need of replays is exaggerated. For PL sides the tv revenue from the FA Cup is pretty meaningless too.

Scrap replays and if a PL side is drawn against a League 1 side or lower then hold the game at the League 1 sides ground with 80% of the TV money going to the lower League side.

Soldato
The solution to this is really simple: in all rounds of the competition, allow the teams to decide for themselves if they want a replay, extra-time or straight to penalties when the tie is drawn. Also bring back the ability for teams to agree to switch who hosts the game, so a lower league club can agree to no replay if they get to be away from home and maximise the amount of money they make. I'd also make usage of VAR when ties are played at Premier League grounds an agreeable option or not as well.

In regards to the video above, the FA Cup is the oldest and most prestigious inter-country cup competition in the world. Asking if it should copy an inferior one is like asking if Coca-Cola should stop what they are doing and copy Pepsi.

What if youre a shrewsbury fan though? It isnt fair on them to have to travel if they are drawn at home.

Caporegime
Solskjaer is genuinely risking player's health with this team selection today. Maguire still can't get a rest despite playing through injury, no rest for Martial either.

Back
Top Bottom