Energy Suppliers

Soldato
You can still do that with a smart meter if you really want. The meter will also report on its own when it needs to.

There are no obvious disadvantages to getting a smart meter other than having to be home when you book to have it swapped.

Soldato
I think part of me is also convinced in the future they'll charge different electric rates at peak times, and if I've still kept my old meter I'll be immune from it.

Soldato
They certainly will but by the time that’s a reality you will not have a choice not to have one, it’s that simple really. ‘Resistance is futile’ and all that.

You also assume that there will not be flat rate tariffs in the market which is less likely. Flat rate tariffs are already skewed by the price of electric at peek times at the assumptions that sit behind it. TLDR, you already pay more for having a flat rate.

Soldato
The new tariff with Green has no exit fees so I will just switch again if they become uncompetitive.
keep us up to date on the smoothness of your switch. .. never sure how much you can accelerate the switch yourself , by intervening / emailing

There are no obvious disadvantages to getting a smart meter other than having to be home when you book to have it swapped.
if/when someone offers a useful IHD display that can also get the information into a phone app/excel I would switch, as previously commented,
swapping to someone now would disadvantage me, to get such kit, when available.

... but green.green £100p/a standing saving versus bulb, would attract me even if a smart was obligatory.

Soldato
Anyone advise the best provider to go with that don't force you to install a smart meter? I've looked on comparison sites but they're all sneaky in hiding the fact that to get the cheapest tariff you need to install a smart meter which I don't want.
None of them force you to have one as far as I'm aware.

Soldato
We have a SMETS1 meter and indoor energy monitor which were provided by OVO. We have just switched to e.on and my understanding is that they use the same SMETS1 meter and indoor energy monitor. Information from e.on is a little lacking on the actual process for retaining smart functionality post switch. My indoor monitor gives me the current energy usage, but no longer has tariff information. The SMETS1 device does not appear to be submitting readings to e.on.

Is there anything I need to do to action this or will e.on automatically manage the process? I'm hopeful that someone here has experience with this, I would call e.on but they are shut until Monday.

Soldato
I doubt you will be able to retain smart functionality for now. Most suppliers don't bother trying to enrol your SMETS1 meter when you switch as it then becomes their responsibility to migrate it to the SMETS2 network. When your meter is in dumb mode as it is now then that responsibility falls to DCC.

Soldato
I doubt you will be able to retain smart functionality for now. Most suppliers don't bother trying to enrol your SMETS1 meter when you switch as it then becomes their responsibility to migrate it to the SMETS2 network. When your meter is in dumb mode as it is now then that responsibility falls to DCC.
What a bag of crap. Talk about incompetence. What do the DCC do?

Soldato
Currently no SMETS1 meters have been added to the SMETS2 network, and as it stands its not going to happen any time soon.

SMETS1 meters (Like you have) will become dumb, unless something changes in the near future it will remain that way until it is replaced (More likely than it being accepted in to the SMETS2 network).

The DCC are the organisation set up by the government and Ofgem to manage and handle the data pulled from the smart meters. Meters work now by communication the data to the DCC and then your provider requests the data. this is known as SMETS2 protocol, SMETS1 worked by sending your supplier the data directly.

Soldato
To answer your question, the meter will become dumb and you will need to take readings from it manually - unless you switch to a supplier that supports smart meters, but they seem to be thin on the ground.

OVO installed my smart meters, which I kind of regret as they are more or less a waste of time as soon as you change suppler. Apparently SMETS1 meters can be made to work on the SMETS2 network, I believe by changing the communications module. But I keep reading that for some reason SMETS1 meters installed in 2014 will need to be ripped out for SMETS2 meter - and my meter was installed in 2014.

I don't mind another meter being installed as long as it doesn't cost me anything. But I'm more bothered about how long it will last and if I will need yet another in 10 years time.

Soldato
Thanks for the info guys. My meter was installed in 2018 so there is hope. Before I switched I read the blurb from OVO and was under the impression that switching to e.on would retain capabilities. I've dropped e.on a message so will see what they say.

Soldato
Thanks for the info guys. My meter was installed in 2018 so there is hope. Before I switched I read the blurb from OVO and was under the impression that switching to e.on would retain capabilities. I've dropped e.on a message so will see what they say.

Metering is what I do and I can assure you once the meter goes dumb the only option is to have a new one installed.

Back
Top Bottom