• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Don't think RT performance will be a huge increase either, maybe 30% or 40% but I am only guessing just like everyone else.
That would bad sad if true. I am hoping it is that much just from improvements in architecture alone. The rest from using up a bit more die space. If they only make 30/40% improvements from jumping to 7nm+ and a new architecture them at that rate it will take a few decades for us to ever get the RT performance we need.

My bet is minimum double.

Soldato
That would bad sad if true. I am hoping it is that much just from improvements in architecture alone. The rest from using up a bit more die space. If they only make 30/40% improvements from jumping to 7nm+ and a new architecture them at that rate it will take a few decades for us to ever get the RT performance we need.

My bet is minimum double.

+1 My bet would be double the RT performance at least. They have already made large strides in performance by software updates alone. I would actually consider it a fail by Nvidia if there isn't massive improvements in RT performance.

Soldato
Any guesses on pricing? Could be a nice upgrade to max out 1440p. Not that my 5700XT seems slow. I'd expect after selling the 5700XT it could still be an extra £500 to upgrade.

Caporegime
Double is too much to expect from Nvidia. However, hopefully AMD "bring it".

Hopefully the rumour of AMD's RT cores being more adaptable is true and they'll be able to either give RT effects OR increase traditional rasterisation speeds (whatever the game calls for or whatever the owner chooses). That'd be quite cool I think :)

Soldato
I just dont think 30% faster than 2080Ti is going to be enough and we are going to be in the same situation as the vega64 vs 2080TI. Which was 25-30 slower. AMD need to be at least 40% faster because this time round
i really do believe nvidia is going to be 50% faster than 2080Ti. They are on a new 7nm node and they are already very power efficient architecture and have lots of room to spare on the die for silicon. Even at 40% faster i stll
think navi will be slower than Ampere 3090Ti, but at least it would be near enough to compete. I just dont see a ryzen type takeover by AMD over nvidia. Nvidia has not been sleep like intel was.

I really want to go all AMD this time round. CPU, motherboard and graphics card like the old days. Hope they dont do a VEGA hype train on us.

Also hope this type round AMD gfx card partners make nice looking cards. Usually AMD card look pants and nvidia card look very nice with great build quality. I really hope this time we get it all, great fast card, good prices, nice looking and great build quality and cooling.

i am asking for too much:D

Last edited:

GAC

GAC

Soldato
serious question and hopefully a serious answer but where exactly is this claimed 30% coming from ?

i know its not from AMD so which experts or trusted sites are making such claims as il be honest id be surprised if it beats a 2080ti outright at all.

and again id love for big navi to be a huge surprise and everyone's claims about it come true just so we have some movement on the gpu side like on cpu's but personally il keep saying amd is 2 years and a generation behind nvidia at the moment.

Soldato
serious question and hopefully a serious answer but where exactly is this claimed 30% coming from ?

The 2080Ti is roughly 30% faster than the 1080Ti. The 5700Xt is roughly the same speed as the 1080Ti. So people are hoping that big Navi will be at least 30% faster than 5700XT because it's a new process (7nm EUV) and a new architecture, RDNA2.

Soldato
that 30% figure melmac, states 2080ti not 1080ti.....

OH, sorry, I didn't see AMD Power's post. I don't know where he got that figure from. That means it would have to be 60-70% faster than the 5700XT.

There are leaks that suggest that big Navi is twice the size of the 5700xt chip. With that size chip, it might be possible. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
OH, sorry, I didn't see AMD Power's post. I don't know where he got that figure from. That means it would have to be 60-70% faster than the 5700XT.

There are leaks that suggest that big Navi is twice the size of the 5700xt chip. With that size chip, it might be possible. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

thats what i fear may end up happening AGAIN, amd cranking out the biggest chip they can to try and compete which ends up a heat and power hog and overpriced for the market place.

Soldato
thats what i fear may end up happening AGAIN, amd cranking out the biggest chip they can to try and compete which ends up a heat and power hog and overpriced for the market place.

I don't see that happening this time around(the heat and power hog). The 7nm Euv process is much more power efficient than the 7nm process the current cards are on. Also the RDNA 2 architecture also promises more performance per watt.

Who knows what the price will be, but, the days of AMD been the budget brand are over. If it's any way faster than the 2080Ti expect it to cost over £700.

Permabanned
Hopefully the rumour of AMD's RT cores being more adaptable is true and they'll be able to either give RT effects OR increase traditional rasterisation speeds (whatever the game calls for or whatever the owner chooses). That'd be quite cool I think :)

Yeah, saw posts about it. Since I want AMD to succeed but am realistic (I think), sensibly tempering my thoughts would be e.g. maybe they'll have that but it'll take the full life cycle of drivers and dev support and such to make a decent impact on the market (unless drivers/whatever are irrelevant and thus I'm talking nonsense!).

But fingers crossed AMD "pull a Ryzen" on Nvidia.

Soldato
AMD don't seem to get that releasing when they're ahead is better than releasing just after or at the same time as Nvidia release a superior card.
:confused::confused: I must've missed the 37ns where AMD was ahead of Nvidia.

I don't see how AMD can release a card when they're ahead of Nvidia when everybody's always bleating on about how far behind Nvidia they are.

Associate
:confused::confused: I must've missed the 37ns where AMD was ahead of Nvidia.

I don't see how AMD can release a card when they're ahead of Nvidia when everybody's always bleating on about how far behind Nvidia they are.
AMD have been ahead if you cast your mind back but I meant if they're testing the card now and assuming it tests as expected why does it take six months to stick it in a box and slap a price on it.
Maybe that all takes longer than I expect.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
AMD have been ahead if you cast your mind back but I meant if they're testing the card now and assuming it tests as expected why does it take six months to stick it in a box and slap a price on it.
Maybe that all takes longer than I expect.

because they have to make a few thousand of them and test all of them before they ship, then you have board partners who have to do the same.

Associate
because they have to make a few thousand of them and test all of them before they ship, then you have board partners who have to do the same.
Aha, makes sense, I'm not familiar with that part (or indeed quite a lot) of the production cycle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom