I think my PSU shorted

Associate
I switched my old PC into a new case and whilst plugging in the PSU i think it shorted and is broke now.

I tried another PSU and the computer boots.

The reason I think it was shorted is becasue my Corsair SP2500 sound system also shorted (on the same extension) and is no longer working.

Is there anything I can do to fix it? It was barely pushed, the Corsair AX850.

Associate
Corsair usually have a long warranty on their units - is it under warranty?
It genuinely is dead and you have tested in on the bench, or in another system?

And the obvious - of course you have checked the extension lead is working and all the IEC leads work, no fuses blow etc. :p

Associate
Check if the power cord has a fuse. Not common on PSUs, at least the ones I've owned, but never know.
The sound system should have a fuse to protect on such situations.

Associate
OP
Corsair usually have a long warranty on their units - is it under warranty?
It genuinely is dead and you have tested in on the bench, or in another system?

And the obvious - of course you have checked the extension lead is working and all the IEC leads work, no fuses blow etc. :p

HAHA yes I did use wall plug to test it and with the other PSU i have.

I bought it in 2012, I know I surprised myself how long it had been!

Anyway the damn thing was perfect.

Is it possible the damn extension to blow **** up like it has? First 2.1 sounds system and now the PSU, or is it a conincidence? Sad times. First world problems. RIP Kobe :(

Check if the power cord has a fuse. Not common on PSUs, at least the ones I've owned, but never know.
The sound system should have a fuse to protect on such situations.

I would have thought. The little volume console with screen is working but the woofer and speakers are dead.

Associate
OP
Those Corsair speakers appear to have used at least occasionally Chinese garbage glue which eventually turns conductive.
https://forum.corsair.com/FORUMS/showpost.php?p=818121&postcount=5
That could have blown some voltage rails or at least prevents correct operation.

Read through it, doesnt look like much can be done now for the speakers or psu by the looks of it.

I'm considering this for £100 Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650 Watt Fully Modular 80+ Platinum. Seems good, 12 year warranty fan dont spin till 40% load.

Soldato
It doesn't, tried with a paper clip and no response. Doesnt spin or do anything.

Ordered the Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650 80+ Platinum :)
It doesn't, tried with a paper clip and no response. Doesnt spin or do anything.

Ordered the Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650 80+ Platinum :)
If didn't jump start/paper clip and it's not the plug fuse
Not much you can do
I would dump that extension though
To be on the safe side

Associate
OP
SOOOOOO

You wouldn't believe it, the PSU works! My old Corsair 850AX, it was working all along :facepalm:

So turns out there might have been two possible reasons for the shorting of the system (not the PSU).

So I received the Seasonic and installed it in the system, test with the clip that comes with it and it was working. Put it into the case and turned it on and again the PC wouldnt boot up! I was surprised, and couldnt see why. But turns out that there are a few reasons. one is that the GPU was installed into the PCIE slot but wasnt powered. And that cable just sitting in the system was preventing the PC from booting or the fact that the MOBO wasn't sitting correctly on the offsets (because the case came presintalled with them and the center one is an offset you cant screw into).

So once I plugged everything in, the GPU power and all other connections, it booted up with the Seasonic. I then went back to my Corsair PSU and tried to jump it and it also worked. Turns out I only plugged in 20pin before not the +4 :facepalm:

Anyway, sending the Seasonic back and will use my original PSU case closed LOOOOOOOOL

Soldato
SOOOOOO

You wouldn't believe it, the PSU works! My old Corsair 850AX, it was working all along :facepalm:

So turns out there might have been two possible reasons for the shorting of the system (not the PSU).

So I received the Seasonic and installed it in the system, test with the clip that comes with it and it was working. Put it into the case and turned it on and again the PC wouldnt boot up! I was surprised, and couldnt see why. But turns out that there are a few reasons. one is that the GPU was installed into the PCIE slot but wasnt powered. And that cable just sitting in the system was preventing the PC from booting or the fact that the MOBO wasn't sitting correctly on the offsets (because the case came presintalled with them and the center one is an offset you cant screw into).

So once I plugged everything in, the GPU power and all other connections, it booted up with the Seasonic. I then went back to my Corsair PSU and tried to jump it and it also worked. Turns out I only plugged in 20pin before not the +4 :facepalm:

Anyway, sending the Seasonic back and will use my original PSU case closed LOOOOOOOOL
Lol
We live and learn
Main thing is you got there
In the end

Back
Top Bottom