Kobe Bryant Dead

Soldato
Until this thread I had no idea who he was... the twitter storm(?) over the BBC slip up is ridiculous... would US media even mention it if say a rugby or cricket star had died instead? I'll take that as a "no". Media in general is too US centric.

Same here.

With all that's going on in the world, this took front page on the BBC and other UK news sites?

Utterly bizarre.

Caporegime
Yikes. When your time is up. Terrible.

Nothing to do with that at all.

Had he not taken a helicopter he would still be alive.

Much like the Leicester owner and Colin mcrae.

Helicopters aren't as safe as planes.

I've been in one once and that is enough. Never again.

Why would you risk your life to save all of 30 minutes? He's lost out potentially in decades of his life trying to save half an hour.

Caporegime
Until this thread I had no idea who he was... the twitter storm(?) over the BBC slip up is ridiculous... would US media even mention it if say a rugby or cricket star had died instead? I'll take that as a "no". Media in general is too US centric.

You never played any fps game and heard someone hurl a grenade and yell out Kobe?

He's well known the world over. In fact before this had broken at least 2 people said Kobe on csgo to me in the same game and I only played like 2 games today.

Caporegime
Nothing to do with that at all.

Had he not taken a helicopter he would still be alive.

Much like the Leicester owner and Colin mcrae.

Helicopters aren't as safe as planes.

I've been in one once and that is enough. Never again.

Why would you risk your life to save all of 30 minutes? He's lost out potentially in decades of his life trying to save half an hour.

I got married in one.

Soldato
I have zero interest in basketball yet I've heard of this guy many times. Do people think they look 'cool' on the internet claiming they don't know who famous people are?
It's entirely plausible of course but just seems a tad odd in the information age. I asked my 65 year old mother if she'd heard of him, she knew he was a "sports" person at least.

Permabanned
Never hard of him (hate sports, and its US sport so not that popular here)) and not heard that shouted in a game as I do not like MP, has nothing to do with being cool and I do not jump on bandwagon when a celeb dies.

RIP.

Soldato
I have zero interest in basketball yet I've heard of this guy many times. Do people think they look 'cool' on the internet claiming they don't know who famous people are?
It's entirely plausible of course but just seems a tad odd in the information age. I asked my 65 year old mother if she'd heard of him, she knew he was a "sports" person at least.

100% it. They have heard of Kobe - they're just acting cool by pretending they haven't. He was one of the greatest and most influential athletes that has ever lived. He's of the same caliber as Ali or Ronaldo. I bet they've never heard of those guys either. :rolleyes:

Soldato
100% it. They have heard of Kobe - they're just acting cool by pretending they haven't. He was one of the greatest and most influential athletes that has ever lived. He's of the same caliber as Ali or Ronaldo. I bet they've never heard of those guys either. :rolleyes:

It's probably the same people who rejected popular bands at college and liked indie bands until they deemed them too popular or well known. A desperation to distance from pop culture or another common trope as above, wanting to distance from the perceived bandwagon.

Soldato
It's probably the same people who rejected popular bands at college and liked indie bands until they deemed them too popular or well known. A desperation to distance from pop culture.

I'm very familiar with the type because I used to be like that myself before I realised how ridiculously transparent it was

Permabanned
You two are delusional you really think everyone knew who he was?

I certainly did not till this accident and as sad as it is for ALL who lost their lifes it effects my life in no way.

Soldato
You two are delusional you really think everyone knew who he was?

I certainly did not till this accident and as sad as it is for ALL who lost their lifes it effects my life in no way.

Yes that's why we both stated we believe everyone knows who he is. Oh wait. Nobody said it affected your life or theirs either, that's just coming across as being a try hard.
I'm talking more the OCUK demographic.

Soldato

I really haven't.

I have zero interest in American sports.

Yes I have heard of Ali, but he was a boxer, and Ronaldo is a footballer, both sports of which I do have an interest.

in fact, I'm old enough to have watched him live on the box when he used to be known as Cassius Clay and when he fought Henry Cooper.

I don't know where this idea comes from of pretending not to have heard of somebody...for what, to be "cool"?

I'm 64 years of age, and attempting to be "cool" is the least of my concerns! :p

Caporegime
Never hard of him (hate sports, and its US sport so not that popular here)) and not heard that shouted in a game as I do not like MP, has nothing to do with being cool and I do not jump on bandwagon when a celeb dies.

RIP.

Professional basketballer who got engaged to a high school girl in 2000, and married her the next year.

In 2003 Bryant raped a 19 year old woman. He confessed to strangling her during the rape for personal gratification. She dropped her accusation following vilification and death threats after her personal details were leaked to the public.

In 2004 Bryant settled with her for $2.5 million.

Caporegime
Wow I can't believe how weird people get because other people don't know someone.

I thought he was the guy with coloured hair and gold teeth. Apparently it's not.

Oh the humanity and fake coolness, what a bloody weird thing to assume.

Dennis Rodman, I had to Google him.

Soldato
Despite having almost zero interest in watching sport he's a name that's almost impossible to avoid. Surprising that some of you dont know him.

RIP anyway. Too young to go.

Caporegime
RIP, News hit me like a truck, the guy was a true legend of basketball.

he’s a little more than a basketball player, the guy is a basketball legend.

Back
Top Bottom