Kobe Bryant Dead

Soldato
I guess you dont know who Micheal Jordan is either?

See, there's the thing. My interest in basketball extends to the fact that I know it exists as a sport. I know about three or four player's names, but could I pick any of them out of a line up? Not a chance. Pretty much the same for baseball and stoppy, starty hand egg too.

Soldato
See, there's the thing. My interest in basketball extends to the fact that I know it exists as a sport. I know about three or four player's names, but could I pick any of them out of a line up? Not a chance. Pretty much the same for Baseball and Stoppy, starty Handegg.
So no, you dont know micheal jordan....

Dont you watch the news? reportages? documentaries??

Im sure even on ocuk forum there has been threads about kobe bryant about other topics in here.

My point is you have to be living under a rock for the past 20 years to not know who this man is

Soldato
So no, you dont know micheal jordan....

Dont you watch the news? reportages? documentaries??

Im sure even on ocuk forum there has been threads about kobe bryant about other topics in here.

My point is you have to be living under a rock for the past 20 years to not know who this man is

I know of them, in as much as I know their names, that they play basketball and that Micheal Jordan does trainers for Nike. But ask me what team they play for or what position they play and I'd be stumped. Actually, I'd be hard pressed to name more than two or three basketball teams as it is.

Associate
I'm at a bit of a loss trying to understand why some find it so unbelievable that someone could not know who Kobe was. Especially when he played a sport not popular in the UK. Yes, he was larger than the sport but only directly because of the sport.

I haven't followed F1 for over 30 years now. I can't tell you the name of the hot shot British driver that's been world champ several times now. I might be able to pick him out of a lineup... maybe. But I can't tell you his name right now without Googling it. Yet, I'll bet his picture is smeared all over Europe, and everyones grandmother knows who he is. :shrug:

Caporegime
I'm at a bit of a loss trying to understand why some find it so unbelievable that someone could not know who Kobe was. Especially when he played a sport not popular in the UK. Yes, he was larger than the sport but only directly because of the sport.

I haven't followed F1 for over 30 years now. I can't tell you the name of the hot shot British driver that's been world champ several times now. I might be able to pick him out of a lineup... maybe. But I can't tell you his name right now without Googling it. Yet, I'll bet his picture is smeared all over Europe, and everyones grandmother knows who he is. :shrug:

what I’m at a bit of loss about is people who don’t know him coming into a thread about how he’s dead and proclaiming not to know who he is. It literally adds nothing more than a diversion from the topic.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Plenty of folk don't know. I always talk basketball and there's a generational gap where the majority haven't even heard of Michael Jordan. Not a surprise at all.

Soldato
what I’m at a bit of loss about is people who don’t know him coming into a thread about how he’s dead and proclaiming not to know who he is. It literally adds nothing more than a diversion from the topic.
I suppose it gives some perspective to those who think it's a worldwide tragedy to know that, actually, maybe a large number of people have never heard of him. Or it would if they were able to see outside of their own experience and not try to deny the possibility.

I know who he was. The rape thing was new info to me, though. I know for sure that my parents and my wife's parents wouldn't have any idea who he is. I'm certain that many of my work colleagues wouldn't have heard of him.

Soldato
I know basketball isn't big here but that's pathetic

I’ve heard of Kobe and Lebron through another sports forum I go on but other than knowing they are top tier players and what they look like, that’s about it.

In fact, someone mentioning Lebron on here made me realise why I felt like I was thinking of someone else.

Absolutely no chance say Gerrard dying in an accident makes it to US news front pages and I can understand people getting annoyed that it’s suddenly become such a big story over here and anyone who says they don’t know who he is must be lying.

Makes for a good distraction from the royal family, trump and Epstein though I guess so I can understand why it might be pushed as a story over here.

Soldato
Heard the name but knew nothing about the guy, but clearly he was huge. I think there will be lot of British people for who the name has almost no meaning. If you don't follow basketball then I think you had to be a follower of US culture, particularly black culture to come in contact with him as a cultural icon.

I would imagine there are many like me who have little interest and no more than a passing knowledge of that culture.

The saddest thing is to hear his 13 year old was with him, awful, RIP.

Soldato
Heard the name but knew nothing about the guy, but clearly he was huge. I think there will be lot of British people for who the name has almost no meaning. If you don't follow basketball then I think you had to be a follower of US culture, particularly black culture to come in contact with him as a cultural icon.
Same for me, I knew the name but if you'd ask what sport he played I would have had to take a guess out of basketball, baseball or American football.

Aside from that, what a really sad story, RIP to all of the passengers onboard.

Soldato
Plenty of folk don't know. I always talk basketball and there's a generational gap where the majority haven't even heard of Michael Jordan. Not a surprise at all.

I'm someone who didn't know who this guy was as well, but I knew who Michael Jordon was, as a youngster I remember the player, even though I wasn't into the sport at all, I think he was in some movies and his brand was huge, purchased some Jordon trainers while I was in the US.

Sad news, RIP to all those involved.

Caporegime
I've heard his name but that's about it, upon doing a quick search the first thing I find is that he more or less confessed to rape to avoid conviction a few years ago and a journalist who brought it up has been threatened by the Twitter mafia and suspended from employment? tolerant liberals!

Associate
It's not that crazy for a small percentage of people on here to have not heard of a famous athlete... for example, my news feed does not show me anything sport related as I have zero interest and I haven't had a TV for over 10 years, you could probably name some of the the recent champions from from this country and I wouldn't have a clue who you were talking about.

I do vaguely know of Kobe because of some Twitch streamers. If I had never watched the occasional PUBG stream where a player called out his name when throwing a grenade, I would have never heard his name before either... I originally thought he was possibly a baseball player since the American players were using his name to refer to an amazing throw, it took me a while listening to conversations on streams to learn he was a basketball player.

That said, coming into the topic to just say you don't know who a person who died is without sharing any form of condolences adds absolutely nothing...

Regardless of how familiar of the name people are, it's still sad to hear news of someone who's lost their life along with what sounds like the lives of at least one of their children in a tragic accident.
Thoughts go out to his surviving family & friends, I'd imagine his team mates are probably in a bit of state as well.
He was one of the top players in one of America's most popular sports, however I feel that if Ben Stokes suffered the same fate, Americans generally wouldn't have a clue who he is.
To be fair, I live in this country and I don't know who Ben Stokes is... I've heard the name maybe a couple of times, but don't know what he's famous for.

Man of Honour
See, there's the thing. My interest in basketball extends to the fact that I know it exists as a sport. I know about three or four player's names, but could I pick any of them out of a line up? Not a chance. Pretty much the same for baseball and stoppy, starty hand egg too.

Exactly the same here but my knowledge extends to only Michael Jordan.
I don't know any baseball, ice hockey or stoppy starty players.
Sorry, I know Joe Dimarzio but that probably doesn't count.
When I saw the name I had to Google because I thought he was a singer in a metal band or similar.

Soldato
A report I've read has said it was very foggy to the point that the LAPD weren't flying their helicopters. So it's possibly a combination of bad weather/ pilot error, but I'll leave any more speculation and wait for the official investigation report.

Back
Top Bottom