• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel kills 10nm ?? oO

Soldato
They are supply constrained and recently wrote an open letter to the OEMs apologising.
Retail chips are small fry as OEM, laptop and data centre is where the money is; they announced record profits this week.

Is that why they are in the process of laying off 25% to 33% of Data Platform Business Group Staff ? With more to come in Q2. You don't lay off 25/33% of your workforce in one hit unless something has seriously gone pear shaped.

Associate
This is not true. Where's your evidence? Look at the Euro Mindfactory results or Amazon.com best sellers lists. Intel can barely get a couple processors in the top 10 of desktop CPU sales. AMD currently dominating hard.

DIY is a tiny market. Just appears bigger to enthusiasts because that’s what relevant to them.

Associate
DIY is a tiny market. Just appears bigger to enthusiasts because that’s what relevant to them.

I know DIY is smaller but yeah I was talking about desktop sales. OEM will follow desktop market slowly if Intel is supply constrained and Ryzen 4000 mobile is as good as rumoured.

BUT, will take years for AMD to grow the scale required to sell enough CPUs to dominate OEM.

Associate
Is that why they are in the process of laying off 25% to 33% of Data Platform Business Group Staff ? With more to come in Q2. You don't lay off 25/33% of your workforce in one hit unless something has seriously gone pear shaped.
The two things aren't mutually exclusive you know! ;)
Clearly Intel have major issues but for now their profits and projected next quarter profits are fine.
They are gonna seemingly have a lot of pain over the next year or two at least, but time will tell just how much they lose to AMD outside of the DIY crowd.

Those octa-core laptop chips sound compelling even if they might be overkill for many.
It's a good sales pitch for sure. If I'm near a PC World once they hit retail properly I'd be tempted to pop in and see how they pitch them. :D

Soldato
The two things aren't mutually exclusive you know! ;)
Clearly Intel have major issues but for now their profits and projected next quarter profits are fine.
They are gonna seemingly have a lot of pain over the next year or two at least, but time will tell just how much they lose to AMD outside of the DIY crowd.

Those octa-core laptop chips sound compelling even if they might be overkill for many.
It's a good sales pitch for sure. If I'm near a PC World once they hit retail properly I'd be tempted to pop in and see how they pitch them. :D

As Intel have already started laying off the first tranche of Data Platform staff with more to come in Q2, it could be that AMD are already hitting Intel sales with Epyc fairly hard. Certainly harder than i thought they would at this stage.

Associate
As Intel have already started laying off the first tranche of Data Platform staff with more to come in Q2, it could be that AMD are already hitting Intel sales with Epyc fairly hard. Certainly harder than i thought they would at this stage.
I would guess that this is more of a serious restructuring of the business due to the serious failure at the fabs and of the design teams as well as the general strategy that led to this.
Their CEO has only been in office for about 18 months, so this seems like he and the board have decided to cut the fat and create a leaner, more dynamic and more efficient corporate structure.
Even without losing sales to AMD this would likely be on the cards due to the mess and stagnation of the last 2 to 5 years.
AMD have kicked the fat beast and the beast is now in the gym and on a diet aiming to get back to fighting weight.
A stronger intel will be good for competition as at the moment the top end pricing for Desktop and HEDT is much higher than it’s ever been.
We don’t want a situation where that becomes almost normal as it has with GPUs.

Soldato
This is not true. Where's your evidence? Look at the Euro Mindfactory results or rainforest best sellers lists. Intel can barely get a couple processors in the top 10 of desktop CPU sales. AMD currently dominating hard.
Read the news and read the directors comments in Intel's financial reports.

Intel Corp: Record Quarter, Record Profits

If anything AMD's resurgence by being a viable alternative is helping Intel by freeing up capacity which can be channelled into more profitable areas.

Soldato
Well that's just complete horse. Not even remotely true.

yep it's not true at all

I've love that person to show us how the $ per core has supposedly gone up because it looks like it's gone down.

for instance let's look at high end desktop

the 3950x $ per core is nearly half that of the 9900k and 8700k. So how can anyone try and say it's become more expensive

Soldato
yep it's not true at all

I've love that person to show us how the $ per core has supposedly gone up because it looks like it's gone down.

for instance let's look at high end desktop

the 3950x $ per core is nearly half that of the 9900k and 8700k. So how can anyone try and say it's become more expensive
Probably salty because the 3990X costs $3,990 and needs a new $600 motherboard so that suddenly means AMD is stupid expensive.

Soldato
Oh come on...
Granted it's a stretch and pure speculation but the point still stands Intel are under no pressure from AMD. AMD is primarily a console maker with a side lines in consumer, server and workstation processors, AMD simply lack the resources and capacity to seriously threaten Intel and with AMD spread as thinly as it is over numerous markets is they no threat to Nvidia either.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Granted it's a stretch and pure speculation but the point still stands Intel are under no pressure from AMD. AMD is primarily a console maker with a side lines in consumer, server and workstation processors, AMD simply lack the resources and capacity to seriously threaten Intel and with AMD spread as thinly as it is over numerous markets is they no threat to Nvidia either.

Lol get a load of this waffle.

AMD is essentially just a 3 year old company at the moment with their massive resurgence sine Ryzen launched. Nobody expected them to suddenly completely overtake Intel in this tiny space of time where Intel was in 99% of products. After a steady grind of the first 2 years, as Zen2 launched in year 3, they have already overtaken Intel in pretty much every market in terms of performance. The trend will continue and people will be switching over to AMD more and more and using less and less Intel as it makes no sense to use Intel.

If companies like Google and Twitter have taken the step of changing server chips to AMD, how long do you think before that trickles down to many more companies in the next couple of years?

Soldato
Can you give me your dealer's number? Because that **** you're smoking is so much better than mine.
About half of AMD's wafer allowance at TSMC goes towards producing CPU's for Microsoft and Sony the rest goes to everything else. Why do you thing AMD struggles to get OEM's onside/only used in a handful of systems? It's because AMD simply can't guarantee the quantities of CPU's the likes of HP, Levono etc require to maintain production quotas that Intel can supply.

Lol get a load of this waffle.

AMD is essentially just a 3 year old company at the moment with their massive resurgence sine Ryzen launched. Nobody expected them to suddenly completely overtake Intel in this tiny space of time where Intel was in 99% of products. After a steady grind of the first 2 years, as Zen2 launched in year 3, they have already overtaken Intel in pretty much every market in terms of performance. The trend will continue and people will be switching over to AMD more and more and using less and less Intel as it makes no sense to use Intel.

If companies like Google and Twitter have taken the step of changing server chips to AMD, how long do you think before that trickles down to many more companies in the next couple of years?

AMD will never replace Intel as the primary supplier of server chips unless it can get more production capacity at TSMC and looking at how AMD have managed their business with the launch of Zen it's clear that being the dominate player isn't a top priority, since there constrained by capacity AMD are focused on improving margins to drive higher profits. For evidence of that you only need to look at how they priced their new GPU's (and there financial reports obviously).

Last edited:
Soldato
https://wccftech.com/amd-7nm-wafer-...-7nm-capacity-at-tsmc-currently-fully-booked/

AMD are moving to 30,000 wafers 2H of this year not because TSMC has expanded production but because Apple are moving to 5nm freeing up capacity. Those 30k wafers account for21% of the total 7nm production at TSMC so even if AMD were the sole customer they would have around 1.5m wafers a year which about 1/2 of what Intel can produce so good luck to AMD if you really think they can take over from big blue with just 30K wafers half of which is required for consoles.

I'm not taking anything away from AMD here, 30,000 is a huge number of waters for AMD to be buying and it's testament to just how well they have recovered over the last few year that they are in a position to be able to buy this amount.

Soldato
About half of AMD's wafer allowance at TSMC goes towards producing CPU's for Microsoft and Sony the rest goes to everything else.
According to what source? Because I'm pretty sure that's utter, utter claptrap. PS4 and Xbox 1 are on TSMC's 28nm process, so that has zero impact on their contemporary 7nm offerings. By the time the PS5 and Xbox Series X roll around on 7nm, AMD will be on 7nm EUV for Zen 3, so again has zero impact on their contemporary offerings.

Why do you thing AMD struggles to get OEM's onside/only used in a handful of systems? It's because AMD simply can't guarantee the quantities of CPU's the likes of HP, Levono etc require to maintain production quotas that Intel can supply.
No, it's because AMD haven't had a compelling product for OEMs to consider breaking ties with Intel (and the massive discount no doubt they offer). In fact, it is because INTEL can't guarantee the quantities of CPUs the OEMs require is why OEMs are now looking to AMD and their superior products.

AMD are focused on improving margins to drive higher profits. For evidence of that you only need to look at how they priced their new GPU's (and there financial reports obviously).
And you only need to look at CPU pricing to throw your sweeping statement into the abyss of total dismissal.

You're talking ****, son, give it up.

Soldato
https://wccftech.com/amd-7nm-wafer-...-7nm-capacity-at-tsmc-currently-fully-booked/

AMD are moving to 30,000 wafers 2H of this year not because TSMC has expanded production but because Apple are moving to 5nm freeing up capacity. Those 30k wafers account for21% of the total 7nm production at TSMC so even if AMD were the sole customer they would have around 1.5m wafers a year which about 1/2 of what Intel can produce so good luck to AMD if you really think they can take over from big blue with just 30K wafers half of which is required for consoles.

I'm not taking anything away from AMD here, 30,000 is a huge number of waters for AMD to be buying and it's testament to just how well they have recovered over the last few year that they are in a position to be able to buy this amount.

I haven’t looked into your numbers but you make a reasonable point if only under a normal situation. However, a couple of points need to be made. One AMD offer twice what Intel do and TSMC 7nm isn’t AMD’s only strategy. Another point that is a little more difficult to quantify is Intels only weapon over the next 3-5 years is to open the graphics card market and this will put an added drain on it’s wafer supply’s as AMD’s increases.

Back
Top Bottom