The Tesla Thread

Soldato
For those of you on the 5p/kWh tariffs, is it worth switching to heating water on the immersion for that price vs using a boiler (less efficient) at 3+p/kWh(ish)?

It can’t be far away from being cheaper overall if it isn’t already due to the relative efficiency of the boiler compared to an immersion. Of course that only works if you have tanked hot water.

Chill out boys. I’m one of the bigger EV protagonists - just rational discussion based on some numbers. Everyone getting very lost in their own agendas

PS Commuting isn’t 7 days a week.

Im chilled, I just saying, people get fixated (not you) that somehow they need to able to add a full charge every night, yet most people (on the assumption that the average is probably mis-representing many with short cimmutes, and dragged up by the minority who do a long one), could charge maybe ever other day and still get enough from a narrow 4 hour charge window to keep it "topped up"

In fact I just googled the average UK mileage per car, a few years out of date but this is saying 8k per annum, https://www.nimblefins.co.uk/average-annual-mileage-cars-england-down-–-are-we-really-driving-less

Reports seem to vary, but even if average mileage is 18k per annum, thats 350 a week. I know averages and all that,but for the vast majority its fine, ok it doesnt leave a lot of slack, but in theory it means that the average mileage, at 18k, can on average keep the car full with a 4 hour charge per day. For sure the closer you get to 18k, and the more sporadic your mileage is vs a nice 50 miles per day average the more chance you will need more than a simple 4 hours per day.
It certainly appears that 4 hours per day would actually mean meany people would rarely need more than that however.

Associate
I'm nearly 5000 miles into SR+ ownership now, 100-mile commute for me 5 days a week.

Coming from previously having a Leaf I think makes Tesla ownership very different, I don't have issues working out range vs weather vs internal heater and all the drama that sees to bog down Facebook groups and such. I'm also a home charger, so have no need for any kind of charger to function day to day. In this cold weather I pop the charger on when I come home and it's ready for the next day, keep it at around 85% charged and after 100 miles it will be on around 25% getting home, but that's taking into account clear 1 am drive home at some speed well past being frugal with electric.

It's made my commute far more relaxing, as I can do 95 of the 100 miles on a dual carriageway, better still when in the mood I can come over some glorious mountain roads that take in 95% of 38 miles home on that route, that's when the other party trick of being a fast able car comes into play.

The kids in the Mrs work are definitely big fans, I guess it's a poster car these days which is nice, it's had far more attention than the ITR and S2k ever had. Favourite so far is making a Halford weekend kids year in letting him have a sit in the car and a quick spin round the parking lot.

It's also good at making a talking point to people who don't care about cars, two of the ladies in work have no Fleet EV car's on order for April when the BIK hits 0%, something they wouldn't have even thought of previously.

Soldato
Also works with a SMETS 1 fyi (if you already have one but thought it didn't work).

Yeah I did know as I did some research and found papers on field tests of SMETS 1 meters for the DCC roll out. Mine was from Scottish Power (Honeywell/Elster) so there's quite a large percentage of them installed and they were modular and future proofed with firmware updates.

Not on the compatibility list though as far as Octopus are concerned and I guess it's just cheaper quicker to install a SMETS 2 meter instead.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm nearly 5000 miles into SR+ ownership now, 100-mile commute for me 5 days a week.

Coming from previously having a Leaf I think makes Tesla ownership very different, I don't have issues working out range vs weather vs internal heater and all the drama that sees to bog down Facebook groups and such.

Same here previous i3 had a range from 55 to 80 miles at best though I managed a 96 mile trip hypermil trip to Bristol and back once. I could get to work and back with spare range in the worst of winter but forget to plug in or have to detour and then the fun started.

Glad that's behind now but as I only use 20% of range on a typical day does that make me as bad as ICE owners that insist they must have 500 miles range regardless or they'll never switch.

Soldato
Yeah I did know as I did some research and found papers on field tests of SMETS 1 meters for the DCC roll out. Mine was from Scottish Power so there's quite a large percentage of them installed and they were future proofed with firmware updates.

If it's not on the compatibility list though as far as Octopus are concerned and I guess it's just cheaper quicker to install a SMETS 2 meter instead.

That's what I mean, it is compatible. To quote their email when I queried it: "You are able to go onto this tariff with a SMETS1 smart meter as long as it is secured, and since we are already pulling regular readings from your meter, this means that you won't need an upgrade to a SMETS2 meter!"

They didn't install our SMETS1 meter either, it was already here in the propery before we moved to them (previous owner's supplier was Ovo, but equally no idea if they fitted it or someone else).

Soldato
Got my VIN number only 5 days after order. Apparently, that means I could be lucky as it normally means I’ve got one allocated that’s being shipped on route, to which the next one is Mid Feb.

I don’t think I could be that lucky but hopefully..

Caporegime
Got in an über the other day and it was a model 3, quite impressed with it - obvs I wasn't driving/just a passenger but the big display was quite neat... outlines of the cars parked on both sides of the road (London parking - LOL), the big screen/camera when reversing seemed super useful compared to the tiny little displays you get on most cars - guy got stuck in traffic and so whacked it into the other lane then fast reverse about 150meters back down the street then took a different turn. Mirrors came in quite quickly on command. The roof was pretty sweet to look up at too, hadn't noticed it initially and plenty of room on the back seat.

If I didn't live in a London apartment building with no chance of getting home charging any time soon then I'd be quite interested... I know some people still own EVs and drive around to local charging points a couple of times a week or so but that seems like a total faff and will become less feasible over time as these things become more popular and demand for charging points becomes higher... hopefully that will eventually make it inevitable that chargers get fitted to our carpark etc..

nam

nam

Soldato
don't have home charging either and I live in London. For five months of ownership generally i charge where i end up or near a supercharger if that is near a tesla supercharger then great as I have 2000 free SC miles otherwise I use the free chargers avaliable at destination. Charging once or twice a week at present is enough for my commute and normal trips

Got in an über the other day and it was a model 3, quite impressed with it - obvs I wasn't driving/just a passenger but the big display was quite neat... outlines of the cars parked on both sides of the road (London parking - LOL), the big screen/camera when reversing seemed super useful compared to the tiny little displays you get on most cars - guy got stuck in traffic and so whacked it into the other lane then fast reverse about 150meters back down the street then took a different turn. Mirrors came in quite quickly on command. The roof was pretty sweet to look up at too, hadn't noticed it initially and plenty of room on the back seat.

If I didn't live in a London apartment building with no chance of getting home charging any time soon then I'd be quite interested... I know some people still own EVs and drive around to local charging points a couple of times a week or so but that seems like a total faff and will become less feasible over time as these things become more popular and demand for charging points becomes higher... hopefully that will eventually make it inevitable that chargers get fitted to our carpark etc..

Caporegime
don't have home charging either and I live in London. For five months of ownership generally i charge where i end up or near a supercharger if that is near a tesla supercharger then great as I have 2000 free SC miles otherwise I use the free chargers avaliable at destination. Charging once or twice a week at present is enough for my commute and normal trips

Will be interesting to see how that goes in say a year or so if/when these things become more popular. Do you find you can usually find a free/vacant charging spot when you want it?

Soldato
Based upon a similar US project (teslatheater.com), I've put together teslatv.co.uk. Just a way of having a dashboard to launch any streaming service in full screen when in park. First version due to go live shortly when DNS updates. It's very basic but just in case any owners are interested. My Model S doesn't allow theatre mode or video playback and my Model 3 is 3 weeks away so testing blind. When it's live, any initial feedback would be appreciated.

86ReUaj.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Based upon a similar US project (teslatheater.com), I've put together teslatv.co.uk. Just a way of having a dashboard to launch any streaming service in full screen when in park. First version due to go live shortly when DNS updates. It's very basic but just in case any owners are interested. My Model S doesn't allow theatre mode or video playback and my Model 3 is 3 weeks away so testing blind. When it's live, any initial feedback would be appreciated.

86ReUaj.png

Ha, you're the same guy I commented on over on TMC!

Soldato

Coming from previously having a Leaf I think makes Tesla ownership very different, I don't have issues working out range vs weather vs internal heater and all the drama that sees to bog down Facebook groups and such. I'm also a home charger, so have no need for any kind of charger to function day to day. In this cold weather I pop the charger on when I come home and it's ready for the next day, keep it at around 85% charged and after 100 miles it will be on around 25% getting home, but that's taking into account clear 1 am drive home at some speed well past being frugal with electric.

It's made my commute far more relaxing, as I can do 95 of the 100 miles on a dual carriageway, better still when in the mood I can come over some glorious mountain roads that take in 95% of 38 miles home on that route, that's when the other party trick of being a fast able car comes into play.

The kids in the Mrs work are definitely big fans, I guess it's a poster car these days which is nice, it's had far more attention than the ITR and S2k ever had. Favourite so far is making a Halford weekend kids year in letting him have a sit in the car and a quick spin round the parking lot.

It's also good at making a talking point to people who don't care about cars, two of the ladies in work have no Fleet EV car's on order for April when the BIK hits 0%, something they wouldn't have even thought of previously.
On a commute like that a car with autopilot will make it a stress free experience

not to mention never going to a fuel station

Also you mention you had a clear drove home, in my experience the energy consumed by the car is directly related to the speed that you travel at, therefore driving in 20mph stop start is actually energy conserving

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime

This is an extremely interesting post to me, i have a 130 mile per day commute and would be a home charger the same as you. Sounds wonderful not piling £70 worth of diesel into a Merc every 3-4 days :)

Soldato
I'm rather ****** off with Tesla West Drayton.

I dropped my car off there at 08h00 yesterday morning (08h15 in fact since they didn't open the door until then). At 15h45 I was told via text that my car hadn't even been looked at and needed to stay at least another day. I replied to their text saying that I had no way of getting home. They tried to call me but I was on a conference call with a customer so didn't answer. I was then texted again and offered Uber credits. I replied instantly and accepted their offer and included my Uber account login, but never heard anything from them again and the credits weren't applied.

I was stranded at work but luckily a colleague gave me a lift home (15 miles). I had no way of getting into the office today unless I either paid for a taxi myself, or got the train which is about 1hr45min so I worked from home. I texted them at 08h00 to announce my annoyance and asked for the service manager to call me. I haven't heard anything from them yet.

This is the third time my car has been into a service center in the month I've had it. Grrr.

Back
Top Bottom