You and the internet further incorporated into your life?

Associate
I imagine this subject has been done before, but not the easiest to search for.

Wondering how people feel the internet will become incorporated into their daily lives, and/or invading into their daily lives?

And do you think one day you will just disconnect, if even possible in this country, and merely just be another dinosaur or old fart doing things what will be known as the hard way.

For mere example how I see a daily life of the normal man.
GPS on person prevents payment details being used due to how payments will be processed in the future, there will be a direct connection perhaps.
The time it takes for you to do a car journey will result in your environment changing. For example, your home will give you a relaxing environment with automated music and food suggestions and suppress low priority reminders to avoid annoyance. The car journey will be based upon if traffic is present and the weather. It will take into account family activities such as birthdays etc.
Even things like fridge doors will automatically open and close, with lights that highlight the suggested or predicted ingredients in the cupboard or fridge. With each item being automatically ordered when low, or new items being ordered based on if a gathering of people is planned. Lightly refillable jars or containers being prewashed also. The fridge will no longer even look like a fridge anymore.

The list goes on i'm sure, and we've probably read and seen such things before so don't wish to do it to death.

I don't think I can ever see myself adopting such a lifestyle. I sometimes feel that the internet is more a nuisance than a useful tool.

Soldato
If I decided to remove as much internet from my life as possible then I would be able to cope in most respects except one. While I can physically go the shops, buy food, go to the bank, pay bills, drive my car with a paper map etc I feel that my life would be limited by a lack of "easily accessible" knowledge, as only a library could possibly provide the information I might require and they are limited to opening times and a booking buying budget so having that knowledge available to read when I want it might be impossible.

For me that is the greatest use of the internet - not shopping/bills, navigation or social media etc - but the instant access to an almost unlimited amount of human knowledge.

However I'm old enough to remember how the world coped before the Internet really started to have an everyday effect on normal people's lives so going back to that (say the 80's) would be less of a stress for me than someone who has only ever known having the Internet available to them.

Associate
I recently received an email from Google which I found horrifying. Details from the previous month, miles walked and driven, locations visited (with family photos included).

No ******* thank you. Felt like I'd been stalked, cancelled that feature immediately. Also got rid of Amazon Alexa, switch to Firefox, got rid of facebook etc. I also have a passionate hate for phone zombies, or rather the products and services which create them.

Data collection has taken over the Internet and I don't like it. I mean, is it even possible to Internet without using services that are ultimately spying on you?

Permabanned
Data collection has taken over the Internet and I don't like it. I mean, is it even possible to Internet without using services that are ultimately spying on you?

You signed up to the services. In the terms and conditions for all websites there will be a bit about what they do with your data. Yes, it's pretty much stalking and it's not good. Not so sure how they get away with it to be honest.

Only way to get away from that is make sure the things you are signing up too state they don't use your data for anything or even collect data. Which is pretty much 0. :mad:

Caporegime
Find it bizarre people are surprised and shocked by the data harvesting

You are getting a service. instead of paying with cash, you're paying with data Don't like it? Don't use it

Soldato

Data collection has been around from the very first day you was on the electoral roll and opened a bank account. Way been before the internet, only difference is at least Google tells you about it....the government does not. You have already sold your soul to the devil!

Soldato
Given that my Parents are in their late 70's and are as internet savvy and connected as the next person I don't really see that I'll be logging off anytime soon ....

Same with mother, uses the internet a lot sometimes more than me.

They say that microchips may be the next thing, heading toward censorship and control, plenty of signs to suggest this even trials in Sweden have been carried out. So everything about you will be recorded, maybe one day your thoughts will be able to be read.

Preachers say this is the mark of the beast - or the precursor too - talked about in the book of revelation.

But yes the internet dominates so much of your life, Google news, maps, shopping, DIY, entertainment, communication and a range of other things.

I've been using the net since 1994 so it's not new to me, it almost sounds like you've just discovered the internet recently.

Had a fun journey along the way.

Soldato
I find it funny how people willingly, and unaware of the nature of the devices fill their homes with amazon echos or other simular devices.

I knew there had to be reason I don't use any of those things...

I work in cloud software, so I could not do my job without the internet.

The internet is one thing allowing yourself to be tracked and data logged is another. I've never received any of those emails mentioned above nor any targeted ads.

You signed up to the services. In the terms and conditions for all websites there will be a bit about what they do with your data. Yes, it's pretty much stalking and it's not good. Not so sure how they get away with it to be honest.

Only way to get away from that is make sure the things you are signing up too state they don't use your data for anything or even collect data. Which is pretty much 0. :mad:

Its bloody everywhere I bought a car a year or two ago from a dealer and they even wanted my email address should have refused or given a throwaway they still send me unwanted email crap and theres no unsubscribe. Guess I just wanted the paperwork done and over with, shan't make that mistake again.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I knew there had to be reason I don't use any of those things...

The internet is one thing allowing yourself to be tracked and data logged is another. I've never received any of those emails mentioned above nor any targeted ads.

Its bloody everywhere I bought a car a year or two ago from a dealer and they even wanted my email address should have refused or given a throwaway they still send me unwanted email crap and theres no unsubscribe. Guess I just wanted the paperwork done and over with, shan't make that mistake again.
I think you quoted me by mistake. I work in cloud software - I don't have anything to do with emails, data logging or targeted ads.

Associate
OP
It's all in the small print.

I think this is why finance, free credit, and debt is so popular :p

Data collection has been around from the very first day you was on the electoral roll and opened a bank account. Way been before the internet, only difference is at least Google tells you about it....the government does not. You have already sold your soul to the devil!

I've had encounters of this myself. The gov needed to id me by talking about certain bank transactions, was real weird. The insurance sharing i was aware of, so the data harvesting doesn't alarm me so much.

I'm guessing, but i'd of thought GDPR would allow you to ask to have the details removed within reason, and they must comply. Ie, if they didnt actually require them.

Anymore internet of the future thoughts?

I find the internet now is okay, but ads i are find are more annoying than too intrusive. Yeah i have cookie control etc, but making a statement for than a point.

Soldato
I recently received an email from Google which I found horrifying. Details from the previous month, miles walked and driven, locations visited (with family photos included).

No ******* thank you. Felt like I'd been stalked, cancelled that feature immediately. Also got rid of Amazon Alexa, switch to Firefox, got rid of facebook etc. I also have a passionate hate for phone zombies, or rather the products and services which create them.

Why horrifying? It's fantastic technology that is going to lead us into our future (robots etc).
Nobody is spying on you. The example you've given is great automation. The data might be harvested but nobody cares about you. However, miles driven by people living in your area, miles walked etc might be useful for scientific purposes and other purposes but nobody cares about you or me - we're not that special.
Used for the right reasons, and we have to assume that, this technology bodes well for the future. Fine to have some concerns, but not paranoia. The pros outweigh the cons and we have to hope governments control it from being put to criminal misuse.

Only thing that gets me is all the advertising. I feel immune to it so having rubbish pumped in my face all the time is annoying. But using services for free we have to expect it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Tin foil hat club in session.

/Homer hedge backout

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.......

It's not that simple is it? I often think along the lines of the majority, ie. if you want my data, I don't care, take it. But as I get older the more resistant I'm becoming. For things like Google, where I get a service in return, I don't really care. For things like free wifi, anything promotional on a website, or anything purely for marketing or tracking services, I just give them a load of gobblygook with an @ symbol somewhere in it.

Whilst the things they do with my data are pretty incensequential to me, I am starting to wonder what could be done with it, and it's a harrowing thought. I'm starting to wind my internet presence back ever so slightly and I'm yet to find any negatives.

Associate
OP
If we're talking about the "dislike" quite a lot as opposed to say the internet's full integration into our lives, one thing that really worries me is the life of subscription. Everything feels like it's being made into a subscription service, where ownership is a thing of the past, and you can only have what you want if you continue to pay for it.
Housing- longer mortgages, additional fees on freeholds, help to buy, etc
Car leasing.
Streaming services, music, movies, games, and even the computers are streamed.

And everyone knows, "things aren't made like they used to be". Well mostly anyway. "the throw away society", etc. And soon it'll be, compulsory service charges for your boiler to remain eco friendly and compliant, followed by the fridge and oven, and talky toaster's voice box.

Soldato
Some of the "bad" things discussed here are actually good IMO. Why would I prefer a mountain of CDs when I can subscribe to Spotify and have access to every song I ever wanted, all for the monthly price that a single CD cost me 30 years ago... And I can cancel anytime.

The subscription model was popular long before the internet was.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannia_Music_Club

Back
Top Bottom