Speaker to PC connection advice - USB or optical

Associate
I'm looking to purchase a pair of active speakers to use with my PC for gaming and listening to music. I'm thinking of going for these speakers - Klipsch R-41PM powered speakers.

What I would be really grateful for is some advice on what would be the best way to connect them to my PC in order to get the best sound? Would it be use the USB audio connection or use the optical connection? For info I have an Asus Gene VIII motherboard which supports optical.

Also, if I was to purchase a sound card (like the creative soundblaster ae5) would that improve the quality of sound if using the optical connection? Am I right in thinking a sound card wouldn't be of help if using the USB connection? For info, I don't use headphones just speakers.

Many thanks in advance for the advice/help!

Soldato
Neither will make any difference at all singe it's the speakers doing the digital to analogue conversion. USB and optical are both carrying the same digital signal, and a sound card outputting a digital signal will give you identical results.

Associate
OP
Ah ok, thanks for the advice!

One last Q - Am I right in thinking that using one of the digital connections (either USB or optical) would be the best way of getting the best sound from the speakers or is another form of connection even better?

Sorry if there is an obvious answer - I'm new to the sound side of PCs!

Soldato
The DAC that's inside those speakers will be far better quality than the DAC on your motherboard, so connect the speakers using either USB or TosLink.

Going back to one of your original questions. There can be a case where using a sound card to connect via Toslink is better then the motherboard Toslink, this is mainly down to jitter as some soundcards such as the Asus Essence ST and STX II have a precision clock. That said if your connecting via USB this should reduce jitter anyway, so just connect via USB.

Associate
Imo jitter is not worth taking into consideration with those speakers. Jitter is more of an audiophile thing with discussions on it going on to the end of time. Go with whatevers easiest out of the 2. Maybe if you were using mile long cables it could play a part.

Soldato
I agree jitter is hardy worth taking into consideration, however the OP asked what the difference was between USB and Toslink.

Back
Top Bottom