ASUS TUF FX505DV Benchmarks

Associate
I needed a new laptop so picked up one in Black Friday sales last year. I've got 2 gaming PCs at home so didn't need a full on gaming replacement, just something that could play some games even if the settings where turned down. I ended up getting a TUF FX705DT. It's got the 3550H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe and a GTX 1650. I'm actually really impressed with it, turn down the settings in games to Medium/High and it has no problems getting good performance. I was close to paying the extra for the 1660ti but I game on it so infrequently I couldn't justify the cost. I've not looked into UV the CPU, is it possible and worth it?

Associate
OP
I needed a new laptop so picked up one in Black Friday sales last year. I've got 2 gaming PCs at home so didn't need a full on gaming replacement, just something that could play some games even if the settings where turned down. I ended up getting a TUF FX705DT. It's got the 3550H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe and a GTX 1650. I'm actually really impressed with it, turn down the settings in games to Medium/High and it has no problems getting good performance. I was close to paying the extra for the 1660ti but I game on it so infrequently I couldn't justify the cost. I've not looked into UV the CPU, is it possible and worth it?

From what I have read I don't think you can with the AMD chips. I would like to know.

Any chance of doing a CPU benchmark? Looks like the Ryzen 7 is not much quicker than the Ryzen 5

Associate
From what I have read I don't think you can with the AMD chips. I would like to know.

Any chance of doing a CPU benchmark? Looks like the Ryzen 7 is not much quicker than the Ryzen 5

That is a shame, I noticed that the CPU can get quite toasty so an UV would be a decent.

Yeah, I ran Passmark at Christmas, results are here. Happy to run anything else.

Associate
I've been offered to swap my laptop and £100 cash for an Asus FX505GM. The upgrade would be as follows:
1080p 60Hz > 1080p 144Hz
Ryzen 3550H > i7 8750H
16GB RAM > 16GB RAM
GTX 1650 > GTX 1060 6GB
512GB NVMe > 512GB NVMe

I'm very happy with the performance of the laptop but then for £100 I'm getting quite an upgrade, particularly in the CPU area. Also, the 1060 6GB is a fair bit faster than the 1650. I quite like the idea of being able to undervolt / tinker with the i7.

Soldato
A bit disappointed. Something is up with my GL502. As soon as I plug in the charger, the charger drops to 0.8v so currently have a dead laptop.
I'm to send the charger back for test to the company I bought it from but that took some arguing as they tried to claim that wasn't the charger that is supplied.
I'm really hoping it is the charger and not a motherboard fault. I've only used it about 20 times in total since purchasing.

Mag

Mag

Associate
Yes mines new and under warranty (obviously not under warranty anymore due to modding the cooling but its a risk some of us take).

Those temps are good if on stock paste. My stock paste job was terrible and temps were hitting 95+ on cpu and around 88-90 on gpu, replaced with thermal grizzly at first then changed my mind and went LM with gelid gp-extreme thermal pads.

My temps are around the same as yours now, you must be lucky!

My next mod is to purchase another bottom cover and use a dremel to create more cooling slots (you'll know what I mean when looking at the bottom cover).

Hi Everyone,
Hey, did you try changing the bottom cover?

I have the same laptop just 2 months ago. Mine goes under load -+ 86ºC, googling for repasting instructions I found this forum and this thread.
So after reading your post, I decided to give it a try and I removed the bottom cover, place the laptop sideways and run Modern Warfare (Battleroyale)
Temps dropped around 6-7 ºC, so Im thinking on ordering a cover on Aliexpress and make it more refrigeration slots with the dremmel.

Soldato
Hi Everyone,
Hey, did you try changing the bottom cover?

I have the same laptop just 2 months ago. Mine goes under load -+ 86ºC, googling for repasting instructions I found this forum and this thread.
So after reading your post, I decided to give it a try and I removed the bottom cover, place the laptop sideways and run Modern Warfare (Battleroyale)
Temps dropped around 6-7 ºC, so Im thinking on ordering a cover on Aliexpress and make it more refrigeration slots with the dremmel.

Have you changed the paste also?
When my laptop was working I was sitting at roughly 70-75 Deg playing modern warfare with decent settings. Unfortunately I think it's developed a short on the motherboard.
I did modify a bottom cover which unfortunately I never got to test out. I'll post up a picture shortly.

Mag

Mag

Associate
Have you changed the paste also?
When my laptop was working I was sitting at roughly 70-75 Deg playing modern warfare with decent settings. Unfortunately I think it's developed a short on the motherboard.
I did modify a bottom cover which unfortunately I never got to test out. I'll post up a picture shortly.

:( for the short, do you think its related to the "respasting" procedure? (did you repaste?) I come from the "desktop" word and last nite after removing the bottom cover I saw that there is little room for messing and its very simple to short something. Thats one of my fear on doing repasting (althought I did it so many times on desktop rigs)

Not sure what to do first, if getting the generic bottom cover from Aliexpress and experiment with that, or getting some good paste like MX4 or Gelid GC (both are non conductive) and once I get improvements rise the bar a little bit more and get the cover...

I´ll paste some pictures when I return home

thx for the info!! very nice and tidy mod!:p

Soldato
:( for the short, do you think its related to the "respasting" procedure? (did you repaste?) I come from the "desktop" word and last nite after removing the bottom cover I saw that there is little room for messing and its very simple to short something. Thats one of my fear on doing repasting (althought I did it so many times on desktop rigs)

Not sure what to do first, if getting the generic bottom cover from Aliexpress and experiment with that, or getting some good paste like MX4 or Gelid GC (both are non conductive) and once I get improvements rise the bar a little bit more and get the cover...

I´ll paste some pictures when I return home

thx for the info!! very nice and tidy mod!:p

Na, Most thermal paste is non conductive anyway but made sure it was a clean job. The laptop was running since October with Noctua paste on it so doubt it is that.

Mag

Mag

Associate
So what do you think? Should I change the paste or get the cover and drill some holes on it?

These are the temps with the cover

After that, I removed the cover and put the laptop on a side

And here you have the temps

Soldato
The paste gave me the biggest drop in temperature but it's totally up to you. Whatever you feel more comfortable with I suppose. At some point the paste will need done though.

Back
Top Bottom