Moved from Android to iPhone 11 - Think I made a big mistake?

Soldato
I don't really understand the obsession with home screens.

It's really just a way to get from one app to another isn't it? I don't sit there with my phone unlocked looking at the home screen, ever. Whether it's android or iPhone :p

Yes I’ve never understood it. Maybe it’s to do with things looking a certain way? To me the appearance of something is not important.

Associate
Apart from those apps on the first screen I which I use most regularly, I never hunt for an icon to tap anyway. Swipe down to activate search, type first letter of app, open the app. Homescreens and app drawers are totally redundant for me.

Soldato

It's really just a way to get from one app to another isn't it? I don't sit there with my phone unlocked looking at the home screen, ever. Whether it's android or iPhone :p

Then clearly they aren't for you, I've never understood the obsession with Social Media platforms but then it's clearly not for me.

The point is you can make it your own. Some people care, some don't. Different strokes for different folks.

And no they are not just a way to get to an app. I have various pieces of relevant to me info on my home screen which means that instead of looking at 3 sources or different apps the info I like to see is right there looking at me from different apps and sources.

Again while that's how I like to use my phone others don't and don't need that.

Soldato
Then clearly they aren't for you, I've never understood the obsession with Social Media platforms but then it's clearly not for me.

The point is you can make it your own. Some people care, some don't. Different strokes for different folks.

And no they are not just a way to get to an app. I have various pieces of relevant to me info on my home screen which means that instead of looking at 3 sources or different apps the info I like to see is right there looking at me from different apps and sources.

Again while that's how I like to use my phone others don't and don't need that.

I was always led to believe that people who bought iPhones were incredibly shallow and cared about how things looked and android folks were totally the opposite. Maybe that isn’t quite true after all.

Soldato
OP
One of the things I like about the iPhone is the home screen. The fact everything looks the same is a big win in my book!
Maybe it's a silly OCD thing, but having EVERY icon the same shape is aesthetically pleasing and good UI design.

Soldato
The thing that drives me mad about a lot of Android manufacturers is having several instances of a manufacturer app and a G app for the exact same function preinstalled on the phone!

Not sure why icons should be better on iOS but it does seem to be the case. Maybe just better moderation of apps in the store?

Soldato
One of the things I like about the iPhone is the home screen. The fact everything looks the same is a big win in my book!
Maybe it's a silly OCD thing, but having EVERY icon the same shape is aesthetically pleasing and good UI design.

I also like that my home screen has barely changed since maybe the iPhone 4. The 3G was my experimental years when I would download several apps a day! I barely download apps any more and now with everything neatly stored in folders I have the main page and 2 rows on the second page of my 11 Pro Max

The thing that drives me mad about a lot of Android manufacturers is having several instances of a manufacturer app and a G app for the exact same function preinstalled on the phone!

Not sure why icons should be better on iOS but it does seem to be the case. Maybe just better moderation of apps in the store?

Yeah, I noticed that on my work phone (Samsung A70) that I have Google Photos and Samsung Photos, etc. I also hate that I can't remove Facebook. Ridiculous. I just have my work phone constantly plugged in at work and use the dual sim in my iphone

Soldato
OP

That was my biggest pet hate, and why I decided to only stick to either iphones or pixels. Oneplus got real close, but even then wasn't perfect.
Even on the pixel, I had round and square icons.

Associate
I tried that with mine but it always felt a bit wrong to me.

Also apart from the dock, I am frustrated I can’t have my icons at the bottom where my fingers are. I thought at the very least they would add this ability with iOS 13.

In my case, its simple ergonomics, my fingers are nearer the bottom of the screen than the top, simple as that really.

Although it is nice to have a phone that doesn’t look exactly like everyone else’s! Shallow I know... :)

Associate
Well I've taken the plunge and ordered an iPhone. Will be here tomorrow.

Other half is taking the pee already "You'll hate it, it'll end up thrown across the room". We'll see!

Associate

Other half is taking the pee already "You'll hate it, it'll end up thrown across the room". We'll see!
Ha good luck.
Ive gone the other way round. IOS to android. So far so good.enjoying the experience

Soldato

which did you go for?

the main thing is to not go into it thinking it can do everything an android can do (as easily at least)

Soldato
I took the plunge to a Note 10+ around Xmas time but hated it.

But hated the phone, rather than Android. The only knock I have against android is that the emojis aren't as nice as iPhone :p

Associate
Ha good luck.
Ive gone the other way round. IOS to android. So far so good.enjoying the experience

Thanks! I still enjoy the android experience, I may stick with ios, I may go back. I need to give the iPhone a decent go though.

which did you go for?

the main thing is to not go into it thinking it can do everything an android can do (as easily at least)

11 Pro Max 256gb. Only just sitting down to having a proper play with it now, got a few essential google apps, banking apps etc. So far so good.

you’ll have a love hate relationship with it for a while but stick with it

Day 1 (or evening 1) has been ok, getting used to the gestures etc. Went to cinema earlier this evening and couldn't work out how to switch it off, holding power button kept bringing up siri set up, worked it out in the end.

The thing that I had immediately noticed - 90hz refresh rate on the OnePlus 7 pro, just makes it feel so much more polished and speedy. Oh and the thought that keeps popping into my head is "Really? £1300, errrrm". That's android thinking though.

Soldato
Day 1 (or evening 1) has been ok, getting used to the gestures etc. Went to cinema earlier this evening and couldn't work out how to switch it off, holding power button kept bringing up siri set up, worked it out in the end.

The best bit is you can just ask Siri and it'll tell you. Although don't tell it to switch itself off, as "I cannot do that."

Back
Top Bottom