Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
I paid in about 600 early last year, was up a nice amount at one point but then went crashing down in September.
I had some spare cash around and put in a little bit more when it was at its lowest; roll of the dice. Either it rises lots and I win, or off-set my losses if it only recovers a little. If I loose then it isnt too much £ to have lost.

Learnt a lot about share dealing so that's cool. Shame this project didnt kick-off, would have been nice for everyone to be up.

The Sirus talk on here prompted me to get the HL app and open an S&S ISA, that's the biggest win for me. I was just a lurker in this thread before with ££ being lost, just sitting in my account with some poor rate.

Soldato

I was short the market a few days before on Pres Hilary in prospect and some silly comments she or 'her people' made calling the win beforehand which is such bad luck to do always.
Futures did go down on Trump winning but the market itself on open didnt especially because he is expanding the fiscal deficit and increasing the budget. I would not have guessed it rising this much, I think gold is a better idea then being short stocks long currency when they are undermining the worth of that currency.
If Trump doesnt win it'll be because the economy faltered but its in Nov already so I guess he does win.

Bad news for (most) Sirius investors:
Its not the worst news possible. I was really shook by a good project unable to find that last bit of finance, what a screw up. But I think its part of a larger picture, where MSFT can finance for five years with a rate underneath inflation, buy back their shares which rocket but genuine grassroots growth like this ? too risky, its topsy turvy nonsense.

So AAL will make a profit from the project, thats the main thing to decide. Is Agriculture a growing sector :p in years and decades forward. I think it is and UK even now will benefit just not those share holders.
I've owned AAL a while back I dont think I mind, though I would have preferred BHP. Strange thing now is hedge funds previously shorting SXX now accumulate that same share, the market price of course reflects the offer. Always a slight possible someone else wants to buy.
Ive bought and sold SXX a dozen times, I guess I should have skipped this last phase to be sold when it was 20 and I did mention it as a top but I had no clue it would be -15 clearly. Buying recently in large amounts could have recovered the losses but thats a shot in the dark, I bought tiny amounts. I presume all that happens now is people can keep AAL shares and hope they do well on this and other projects.

CEY had a offer on it, now expired I think (I've reduced into strength because personally I overloaded on their nasty selloff in 2019 so I forced by balance to trim back plus Egypt is risky :confused:). A few smaller miners have gone that way, swallowed up. POG has risen aggressively. The plain gold price rising gives giant gains possible on margin expansion so long as it holds vs costs.
AAZ I think rose such a giant amount because of their second mine with nice high grades vs a prior one at only 1g/ton also control of costs, efficient recovery.
GZOT7gZ.png
They say they setup a 'new' gold mine in 1 year, I agree thats not normal even open pit :o
Im unclear where they could be bought, ideally when gold is doubted like last May but I got Pru.ax instead. Commodities is super risky volatile sector tbh but the gains possible are unbelievable, I think a gold fund is smarter so long as trend overall is in favour for gold and from 2011 for at least five years after it was all down hill, tough break.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a broker that doesn't charge a monthly fee?

iii are charging me £9.99 for basically holding my shares.

Who is next best and doesn't have a monthly fee?

Associate
Can anyone recommend a broker that doesn't charge a monthly fee?

iii are charging me £9.99 for basically holding my shares.

Who is next best and doesn't have a monthly fee?

Freetrade. £0 monthly fee for basic trading account, £3 a month for an ISA. App only though but £0 per trade upto £1 per trade.

I'm transferring my some of my S&S ISA shortly for stock trading, keeping AJ Bell S&S ISA for Funds and my SIPP.

Soldato
Check to see if your money is protected should Freetrade’s underlying custodians fail, especially those overseas. Same with the failure of whoever they decide to term your free cash with (this is how they primarily make their money).

Soldato
Check to see if your money is protected should Freetrade’s underlying custodians fail, especially those overseas. Same with the failure of whoever they decide to term your free cash with (this is how they primarily make their money).

Is it only the unused cash at risk if the underlying custodians fail?

Soldato
Along the same lines but who actually "owns" the shares in my Vanguard Lifestyle investment? If Vanguard went bust would the money invested be wiped out or do I own the shares they are invested in if that makes sense? Thanks

Soldato
Seems Hargreaves Langsdown doesn't appear to have a monthly fee

Just feel it's ridiculous that i'm charged more a month than Netflix for them to just hold the shares.

Associate
The ultra low fees on Freetrade suit my needs much better as I don't normally hold actual stocks for more than 18 months. We are protected upto £85,000 as well. Going by what happened in the 2008 crash, whatever you have in a SIPP or ISA especially, i think we will be covered. (IMHO of course)

Soldato
Seems Hargreaves Langsdown doesn't appear to have a monthly fee

Just feel it's ridiculous that i'm charged more a month than Netflix for them to just hold the shares.

HL are 0.45% capped at £45 pa for shares.

I think that it is ridiculous to think that you expect a huge online asset trading platform at your disposal 24/7 where you also hold your investments to be free. I’m certainly no big fan of HL - they’re at the expensive end and they have trouble brewing post-Woodford. But I wouldn’t touch Freetrade with a barge pole. If service is free, then you’re the product, not the service. For the generation who are happy that everything’s free and ok until it isn’t, and then scream foul - somebody help me, I guess that’s good enough. Each to their own :)

Soldato
HL are 0.45% capped at £45 pa for shares.

I think that it is ridiculous to think that you expect a huge online asset trading platform at your disposal 24/7 where you also hold your investments to be free. I’m certainly no big fan of HL - they’re at the expensive end and they have trouble brewing post-Woodford. But I wouldn’t touch Freetrade with a barge pole. If service is free, then you’re the product, not the service. For the generation who are happy that everything’s free and ok until it isn’t, and then scream foul - somebody help me, I guess that’s good enough. Each to their own :)

Well they were free to hold them for the longest time with the hope that you'd be a regular trader so they could make money that way.

Why would their name being aligned to owning the stock cause them to suddenly need £10 a month? They just want ARR over fees! Not really asking, just ranting.

Soldato
Well they were free to hold them for the longest time with the hope that you'd be a regular trader so they could make money that way.

Why would their name being aligned to owning the stock cause them to suddenly need £10 a month? They just want ARR over fees! Not really asking, just ranting.

Well, they're providing a dematerialised and fractional beneficial ownership service with a trading platform included.

I guess it just depends on how different people value different things. Unfortunately, these days, many people don't value anything - they price it.

Associate
I agree a little with what you are saying but most industries are down to price, loyalty and knowledge count for very little these days and the financial services are not exempt from this. Do you work in financial services?

Soldato
I can agree with you but the evidence, in parts of investment platforms at least, doesn't back that up. That's why Hargreaves Lansdown are one of the most expensive brokers but still have a hugely dominant market share, and have on average higher value customers too. Then at the other end are 'challengers' such as Freetrade, who are selling on price and attracting small volumes of low value customers. The more established platforms, such as HL, have a vested interest in retaining higher value customers, taking a cash margin and making margin from custody and transaction fees. Their goals are reasonably closely aligned with their customers. The likes of Freetrade are more remote from their customers, who are lower value and have been attracted by price. The revenue comes from transactions, and they're finite until the customer leaves or runs out of money / enthusiasm.

Yes, I do work in financial services but not in investment platforms. Pensions.

Soldato
What for? Trading? Pension? Isa? OIEC's? EFT's?

There are hundreds of platforms out there - each does much the same thing but some are priced differently depending on what your useage will be.

Sorry should have been more specific. I have a s&s isa with vanguard and HL (not paying into HL at present) and a very small SIPP with HL.
I’m not looking at individual share investment as I don’t have the knowledge or time.

Back
Top Bottom