• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Hardware Unboxed / Techspot did an article on Zen 3, they think there will be a big latency reduction, but is it maybe up to 8 cores max? With the IPC being 10+% and latency reduction i guess we might see up to 20% or so FPS gains in games, meaning parity or better than Intel in the games Intel are currently ahead in.

I will probably go from my 3700x to a new chip if they are as rumoured. DDR5 might not even come next year, could be 2022 but we'll see. I will likely skip the next lot of chips after these and see what Intel come out with in 2022.

Soldato
The gains sound tempting but I think I'll hold onto the 3950x until we're on second gen DDR5 RAM, pcie5 pch, should be around Ryzen 6000. Shouldn't be much difference at 4K gaming anyway in terms of fps - I've checked and the games I play im already getting the fps of a overclocked 9900k - so more wont be needed yet, not until we have graphics cards 144fps or more at 4K

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hardware Unboxed / Techspot did an article on Zen 3, they think there will be a big latency reduction, but is it maybe up to 8 cores max? With the IPC being 10+% and latency reduction i guess we might see up to 20% or so FPS gains in games, meaning parity or better than Intel in the games Intel are currently ahead in.

I will probably go from my 3700x to a new chip if they are as rumoured. DDR5 might not even come next year, could be 2022 but we'll see. I will likely skip the next lot of chips after these and see what Intel come out with in 2022.

A max of 8 cores per CCX rather than a max of 4?

Soldato
https://www.techspot.com/news/83347-zen-3-rumored-flaunting-monumental-ipc-gains-early.html plenty of info here

Having a unified octa-core CCD is very powerful. In our 4 GHz comparison, we found best-matched threads in the 9900K to have 46.5 ns of communication latency and the worst to have 52.6 ns. The 3700X, with two CCXs, had a best result of 30.2 ns and a worst result of 84.6 ns. That means that in applications with minimal inter-thread communication like Cinebench, Zen 2 can beat Intel, but in communication heavy applications like games, Intel has the advantage.

The rumored Zen 3 octa-core CCD design flips that on its head and could take away Intel’s latency advantage in games. Testing has shown that Zen 3 apparently has "significantly enhanced" latency across the chip. I doubt many Milan server CPUs have been tested with games, but when consumer Zen 3 does arrive, the IPC increase in games could be more than what we're hearing about currently.

Caporegime

8 cores per CCX. Core count is unchanged.

Edit: Ryzen will run games in just one CCX where ever possible. like CS:GO. Unfortunately for people like me that's only possible where the game doesn't need more than 3 HT cores. 3700X or above its 4 HT cores.

Zen 3 will behave more like a 9900K with 8 HT cores.

3900X here will be running at 4.6 to 4.7Ghz.

OkkLJgD.png

Last edited:
Soldato
^^ if that's all true, Zen 3 is going to have a big gaming performance boost.

I may have to swap my 3950x for. 4950x

So what we're looking at from Zen 2 to Zen 3:

* 15% IPC gain
* 100 to 200mhz average clock speed gain
* Inter core latency reduced by 20ns

Something like a 4800x is would be beating a overclocked 9900K by quite the margin in games at 1080p

Now we can understand even more by mobo makers are ****** off about the z490 delay. They need to start selling these ASAP to move stock because moving them after Zen 3 I'll be a whole lot harder

Last edited:
Permabanned
^^ if that's all true, Zen 3 is going to have a big gaming performance boost.

I may have to swap my 3950x for. 4950x

So what we're looking at from Zen 2 to Zen 3:

* 15% IPC gain
* 100 to 200mhz average clock speed gain
* Inter core latency reduced by 20ns

Something like a 4800x is would be beating a overclocked 9900K by quite the margin in games at 1080p

Now we can understand even more by mobo makers are ****** off about the z490 delay. They need to start selling these ASAP to move stock because moving them after Zen 3 I'll be a whole lot harder

Source for the latency reduction? I wonder is it us also, As in ultraseconds 20us would be a welcome reduction Ryzen and new cpus on windows 10 all seem high latency wise 130us seems to be normal.

But i think this is the one for me as i whine about the latency, I want IPC for Totalwar games it will be a good replacement for 4770k especially since i game 99% of the time at 4k. Preferably i would do all this in Jan 2021 as well replace the whole base and keep the 2080ti for Zen 3 and the new 600 Chipset.

Soldato
It will be interesting if Zen 3 offers 17% along with the usual 100-150Mhz clock speed increase. The performance will scale really quickly across cores.

Associate
Inoton the beauty of AM4. Build a futureproof system now with a minimum feasible AM4 CPU (I bet 3600 will run rings around your current one), then replace with 4950X as it launches.

Soldato
Is there any new APU's this year?
The 4000 APUs announced at CES, or other ones?

A quick look at Anandtech's 2400G review shows that APU was already nip-and-tuck with the GT 1030.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12425/marrying-vega-and-zen-the-amd-ryzen-5-2400g-review/5

The Renoir APUs announced at CES have Vega CUs "59% faster than previously" (so that should handily beat the GT 1030) and come in 6 and 8 core flavours, with both 15W and 45W designs.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1532...-apus-7nm-8core-on-both-15w-and-45w-coming-q1

Granted, the CES announcement is laptop parts, not desktop parts, but if the laptop parts can do this, the bigger desktop versions should scream.

That's exactly what you're after, no? Just gotta hang on until desktop parts land...

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Cheers dude, feels like I only just got my 3700X!

Is there any new APU's this year?

Would love a 6/8 core APU with graphics capable at least GT 1030 level. Please take note AMD xD

Zen 2 desktop APU's will be out this year and will use the new tweaked more efficient Vega cores like those used in the recently released 4000-series laptop APUs.

Next year will bring the Navi APUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom