Electric Scooters could soon be legal...

Associate
If it gets single occupant cars off of city commutes then i'm all for it, with the correct legislation. I'm not sure how much more dangerous this would be than the same person on a bike, but would hopefully be subject to strict enforcements to ensure user and public safety.
Also, what kind of idiot wouldn't use a helmet with it? I'd presume the similar cyclists who think they are either too skilled, or too cool to wear a helmet, or perhaps they have unsmashable brains? As soon as I actually grew up I never rode a cycle without a helmet, there's too many idiots on the road to not do so... including me.

Soldato
OP
They are a complete nuisance in other cities :(
In what way? I think the hire schemes do clutter the pavements and when "parked" which leads to problems for the disabled, blind, pushchairs etc. I'm on the fence about pavement riding but I think I'd lean towards no.

Also, what kind of idiot wouldn't use a helmet with it? I'd presume the similar cyclists who think they are either too skilled, or too cool to wear a helmet, or perhaps they have unsmashable brains? As soon as I actually grew up I never rode a cycle without a helmet, there's too many idiots on the road to not do so... including me.
Have you been to the Netherlands? I don't see many cyclists wearing helmets there.

Associate
Have you been to the Netherlands? I don't see many cyclists wearing helmets there.
Yup, though i'm not entirely sure of your point; the locality doesn't make them any less of a helmet, to not wear a helmet.
Also if i recall the infrastructure there is more focused on cycles / trams so is possibly safer? Still, you're going to spill your brains if you fall off and land badly..

Soldato
I guarantee the Irish government will be watching the outcome of this as the legality is in a grey area over here too with much discussion, and they never miss an opportunity for the UK to guinea pig an idea.

I'm split personally as I can see the appeal of their use, but i've already seen people being a nuisance - hopping in and out of cycle lanes and then going on the pavement when they hit a red light etc. Legalised, I can imagine a world where this sort of behaviour is rife. Much like cycle offenses, enforcement needs to be more commonplace.

Soldato
People are over the place with them, because mostly they don't know how to use the road properly (or care). Powered transport is a lot different than a bicycle. It's harder to control and some people just shouldn't be allowed it.

When happens when they ride in to someone/something and they aren't insured?

Soldato
I've nearly been run down by cyclists(in their 20s/30s so not kids) riding pedal bikes on the pavement two or three times in the past fortnight whilst walking around my local city centre.

I think something needs to be done before people riding electric vehicles on the pavement becomes the norm. Despite it being illegal and dangerous for pedestrians the police don't seem interested when it comes to vehicles driven on footpaths?

Soldato
I hope they encompass electric skateboards too. Have my eye on a Slick Revolution for the easier carrying and storing under my desk. A PLEV would be perfect for my 2 mile commute. A higher top speed (20mph) should be included if they have to be used on the road which brings it more inline with my typical cycling speed.

Soldato
If you fall a skateboard at 20mph it's going to hurt a lot more, you'll probably end up falling in the road and getting run over. I wouldn't swerve in to on-coming traffic to avoid it.

Soldato
If you fall a skateboard at 20mph it's going to hurt a lot more, you'll probably end up falling in the road and getting run over. I wouldn't swerve in to on-coming traffic to avoid it.

More or less so then a pedal bike? I'd gather the same. Certainly the repair bill for the carbon fibre bike will be painful.

Soldato
A pedal bike is much more stable. Hit an awkward pothole or curb in a skateboard and you're going flying. Some UK potholes are bad enough to unsettle a car.

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
They have some with decent suspension these days, like the Inokim OX and OXO, the Zero 10X etc.

I'm still trying to find the perfect one for my commute, all the decent off road ones or dual motor ones are 35kg plus, so trying to find a decent road going one with 10" tires I can swap out to off road ones.

The Emove Crusier just got an update and is IP67 waterproof, thinking this is the best bet for UK weather and they're working on a tubeless off road tyre for it.

Just not exactly the power I was after.

Also looking on alibaba I've found the manufacturers of these brands so might just go the custom route direct with them... decisions decisions

Back
Top Bottom