• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
The 4000 APUs announced at CES, or other ones?

A quick look at Anandtech's 2400G review shows that APU was already nip-and-tuck with the GT 1030.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12425/marrying-vega-and-zen-the-amd-ryzen-5-2400g-review/5

The Renoir APUs announced at CES have Vega CUs "59% faster than previously" (so that should handily beat the GT 1030) and come in 6 and 8 core flavours, with both 15W and 45W designs.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1532...-apus-7nm-8core-on-both-15w-and-45w-coming-q1

Granted, the CES announcement is laptop parts, not desktop parts, but if the laptop parts can do this, the bigger desktop versions should scream.

That's exactly what you're after, no? Just gotta hang on until desktop parts land...
Zen 2 desktop APU's will be out this year and will use the new tweaked more efficient Vega cores like those used in the recently released 4000-series laptop APUs.

Next year will bring the Navi APUs.

Yeah 6 or 8 core with GPU at least GT 1030 is what I'm after. So desktop parts might come this year ? Man chip like that would be popular with HTPC crowd. Probably good for e sports gamers too. Probably sell a ton.

Soldato
The first review of a Renoir APU:
https://translate.google.com/transl...ockers.ua/notebook/acer-swift-3-sf314-42/all/

It is for a Ryzen 5 4500U APU which is 6C/6T. Here is the same model but with an Intel CPU and an Nvidia MX250:
https://translate.google.co.uk/tran...ckers.ua/notebook/acer-swift-3-sf314-56g/all/

Battery life is better than the Intel equivalent,and even in 3DMark,the graphics score is only 10% to 15% higher for the MX250 - remember the Ryzen 5 4500U does not have the full IGP enabled either.

Caporegime
The first review of a Renoir APU:
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&tab=TT&sl=ru&tl=en&u=https://www.overclockers.ua/notebook/acer-swift-3-sf314-42/all/

It is for a Ryzen 5 4500U APU which is 6C/6T. Here is the same model but with an Intel CPU and an Nvidia MX250:
https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.overclockers.ua/notebook/acer-swift-3-sf314-56g/all/

Battery life is better than the Intel equivalent,and even in 3DMark,the graphics score is only 10% to 15% higher for the MX250 - remember the Ryzen 5 4500U does not have the full IGP enabled either.

That's great but i don't understand why they don't actually compare them to Intel equivalents, its like this across the industry, why is it so difficult for them? AMD have had 8 core 16 thread laptops for a couple of years and while some Laptop reviews talked about them you would never find a direct comparison with Intel mobile parts.

It seems they are doing the same thing again, they review AMD Laptops but will not compare them properly to Intel's equivalents, why not? Its like Intel want their Mobile parts to exist in a vacuum.

Soldato
That's great but i don't understand why they don't actually compare them to Intel equivalents, its like this across the industry, why is it so difficult for them? AMD have had 8 core 16 thread laptops for a couple of years and while some Laptop reviews talked about them you would never find a direct comparison with Intel mobile parts.

It seems they are doing the same thing again, they review AMD Laptops but will not compare them properly to Intel's equivalents, why not? Its like Intel want their Mobile parts to exist in a vacuum.

Well also more the fact they already tested the Intel equivalent already,but the Ryzen 4000 APUs are shaping up to look pretty decent IMHO.

Soldato
they review AMD Laptops but will not compare them properly to Intel's equivalents, why not?
Because the equivalent Intel laptop would get utterly humiliated. Laptop is truly the last consumer space Intel have a stranglehold on, but now AMD are in a position to take even that away. Tiger Lake vs Zen 3+Navi will be very interesting, but until then Renoir has all the potential to bend Intel over and do unto them what Intel did unto us for a decade.

And Intel will fight tooth and nail with all of their dirty tricks to stop it.

Caporegime
Because the equivalent Intel laptop would get utterly humiliated. Laptop is truly the last consumer space Intel have a stranglehold on, but now AMD are in a position to take even that away. Tiger Lake vs Zen 3+Navi will be very interesting, but until then Renoir has all the potential to bend Intel over and do unto them what Intel did unto us for a decade.

And Intel will fight tooth and nail with all of their dirty tricks to stop it.

I'm glad you told it how it is.....

Soldato
Ordered a spare kit of Crucial 3200 16GB yesterday, couldn't resist at £54, slower than my 32GB kit but might come in handy. Doubt prices will go that low again for a while on RAM now.

Wonder when we'll get more news/leaks on Zen 3.

Associate
Probably going for an upgrade this year from a r5 1600/b350, would a 4600 (assuming 6core) be better off or go for 3700x which should be a lot cheaper later this year. I don't plan on upgrading again for 4-5 years.

Soldato
Probably going for an upgrade this year from a r5 1600/b350, would a 4600 (assuming 6core) be better off or go for 3700x which should be a lot cheaper later this year. I don't plan on upgrading again for 4-5 years.

id get the higher core count

but while the core counts are not likely to change for the 4000 series if you wait until they are out you will get the 3700x at a good discount

Associate
What would you need 16 cores for lol

"Future proofing" :D. I figured that if the next gen consoles are all rocking an underclocked 3700X then you want to make sure you have plenty of other cores spare for windows and other crap. I always want to feel like it's a big step up in overall performance so doubling the cores and adding a lot of extra IPC seems like a good shout.

Associate
Would be a thing of beauty. Even 10% would be massive.

From what I've read it should be at least 15%. I was very close to getting a 3600 or 3700x but my CPU is fine at the moment (i5 4690k), my setup is almost 5 years old now but desperate for a new change!

I think 8 cores is the better decision right now, just like a 4790k has quite a bit more longevity than a 4690k because of HT. I feel the same with 6 cores v 8 cores.

Associate
Think that's roughly what I'm going to aim for. What was the initial 3700X UK price? $329 so probably £300 or so.

I think it was £319? So should be around that price range, but then you have the fact that the 3700x will drop in price so it'll be the same old 25%-40% more money for a 4700x over 3700x for 10%-20% more performance.

Caporegime
From what I've read it should be at least 15%. I was very close to getting a 3600 or 3700x but my CPU is fine at the moment (i5 4690k), my setup is almost 5 years old now but desperate for a new change!

I think 8 cores is the better decision right now, just like a 4790k has quite a bit more longevity than a 4690k because of HT. I feel the same with 6 cores v 8 cores.
For anyone like me who upgrades every 5-8 years, 8 cores is a must. Anything less would be a waste of time.

Associate
For anyone like me who upgrades every 5-8 years, 8 cores is a must. Anything less would be a waste of time.

Exactly, I normally spend around £200ish on CPU's but will definitely go for one tier up this time. Plus aren't the next gen consoles getting the 3700x? So makes no sense getting anything less than that if you can afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom