Electric Scooters could soon be legal...

Soldato
A pedal bike is much more stable. Hit an awkward pothole or curb in a skateboard and you're going flying. Some UK potholes are bad enough to unsettle a car.
So they should be illegal?

Also, what kind of idiot wouldn't use a helmet with it? I'd presume the similar cyclists who think they are either too skilled, or too cool to wear a helmet, or perhaps they have unsmashable brains? As soon as I actually grew up I never rode a cycle without a helmet, there's too many idiots on the road to not do so... including me.
I've ridden mine plenty of times without a helmet. If I don't wear a helmet (usually for short trips) I keep my speed down. Longer journeys - higher speeds - roads with traffic, I wear a helmet.

I also don't wear a helmet when jogging and running - which is roughly the same speed. I wasn't born in a molly coddled generation - and I've managed so far with only superficial scars.

Look on youtube and there are loads of people (sometimes drunk) crashing electric scooters in to parked cars, going to fast and unable to stop in time to avoid something, etc. It will be 10x worse if they are legal.

Just look at this tool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-4uLBgDn_0
People do daft things with virtually everything. Not a reason to ban them. Just look at these tools. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIhfQ2mErcg Should those also be banned?

Keep in mind - people who OWN their scooters, tend to treat them with more care than morons who hire them and smash them around.

Last edited:
Soldato
So they should be illegal?

I've ridden mine plenty of times without a helmet. If I don't wear a helmet (usually for short trips) I keep my speed down. Longer journeys - higher speeds - roads with traffic, I wear a helmet.

I also don't wear a helmet when jogging and running - which is roughly the same speed. I wasn't born in a molly coddled generation - and I've managed so far with only superficial scars.

People do daft things with virtually everything. Not a reason to ban them.

Just look at these tools. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIhfQ2mErcg

Should those also be banned?

The drivers probably don't have broken backs. A car can take a hit, a hipster on a scooter can't.

We already have squishy cyclists on busy roads, we don't need these too.

Soldato
Illegal on pavements and use cycle lanes or the road fine. These are a menace in London, Madrid and in Singapore, however in SG I’ve seen the cops in groups hiding round corners and jumping out and stopping 3 or 4 in one go - 200SGD fine if I remember correctly - thats the way to do it. Comedy gold.

Man of Honour
Have you been to the Netherlands? I don't see many cyclists wearing helmets there.
If you have been to the Netherlands, then you will know it's one of the most cyclist-friendly countries in the world. You cannot even begin to compare the NL road structure with ours, so the discussion of what cyclists there do or don't do is really of no concern.

Man of Honour
If you have been to the Netherlands, then you will know it's one of the most cyclist-friendly countries in the world. You cannot even begin to compare the NL road structure with ours, so the discussion of what cyclists there do or don't do is really of no concern.

and more importantly, like other places abroad, their motorists don't treat cyclists like they do here.
I honestly believe that the UKs hate of cyclists is based on them not paying Road Tax of which we all know that nobody has paid Road Tax since 1937.

Soldato
and more importantly, like other places abroad, their motorists don't treat cyclists like they do here.
I honestly believe that the UKs hate of cyclists is based on them not paying Road Tax of which we all know that nobody has paid Road Tax since 1937.

But mostly not knowing how to use junctions and traffic lights.

As above, anything which you can take on the road without training is going to end in tears.

Soldato
There are two things I hate of cyclists.
Cycling on the road, when there is a perfectly usable cycle lane right next to them.
Cycling in big bunches, making it impossible to pass.

Soldato
But mostly not knowing how to use junctions and traffic lights.

As above, anything which you can take on the road without training is going to end in tears.
Again, you're limiting your perspective to a few videos of morons on youtube, and applying that to 'most'.

Most cyclists ride safely and sensibly. As do most scooter riders.

Soldato
Again, you're limiting your perspective to a few videos of morons on youtube, and applying that to 'most'.

Most cyclists ride safely and sensibly. As do most scooter riders.

Also the ones I see jumping red lights at the end of my road every single morning :p

Been a few near misses but I haven't seen anyone get hit yet. Will upload dashcam footage if I do lol

Soldato
Just to add, my position is.

I'd like to see them legalised, with a simple way of registering your scooter (maybe with the use of a registration number / sticker) - and some cheap / simple insurance scheme introduced, similar to a moped.

Personally, I'd like to be able to legally use it on the pavement, but with a speed limit (6mph?). As, riding on a road in some places, where there is no cycle lane, is way too dangerous / impractical.

Soldato
Have nearly been mown down by fatties on those invalid scooter things as they are too fat to walk. Those should require insurance too.
If this consultation is passed, then they should bundle all 'alternative' vehicles into the same rules / categories. So, registration and insurance. Same speed limits, regulations. Would simplify it all a lot.

Soldato
If this consultation is passed, then they should bundle all 'alternative' vehicles into the same rules / categories. So, registration and insurance. Same speed limits, regulations. Would simplify it all a lot.

I'll build a 100mph gokart to go to work in. Full rollcage ofc, incase I hit a cyclist or scooter :D

Back
Top Bottom