Negotiating "white goods" when buying house

Associate
Be careful, I have seen houses with loads of items left behind and I have seen houses where the leavers have even taken all of the lightbulbs, happens more and more now as people move over to smart bulbs.

I moved into a house and the shed in the garden was full. I did contact the estate agent as I assumed they had just forgotten to empty it but they hadn't they had just left it all behind as they had moved into a smaller house with no garden and didn't need any of it. I ended up with three lawn mowers.

In the big scheme of things the costs of a few white goods isn't relevant when it comes to moving house if you ask me. I know someone in a chain of 9 who was arguing over a couple of hundred quid and holding the whole chain up. I think someone in the chain just suggested that people involved make a donation to aid the process everyone completing and to my surprise most people agreed and he ended up with a grand or so to kit out the new house.

Caporegime
Log burner is part of a house.

However freestanding fridges, washing machines aren't.

I wouldn't leave my fridge freezer or washing machine behind. I would borrow a van or hire one as the cost of a van is pennies. I tend to buy top end white goods though. Its stuff you use on a daily basis.

Soldato
As others have said, make sure there is a comprehensive list of what is included in the price & what they are planning to take.

My first flat many years ago the seller took the light bulbs, light fittings even the light switches.

When I questioned it I was told, they were not on the list of items being left.

Soldato
How long ago was that?

The last two house purchases I went through specifically said each room must have a basic pendent fitting, bulb and switch as a minimum. It was on the standard law society forms all the solicitors used.

Its the difference between fixtures and fittings. This is quite handy actually https://www.co-oplegalservices.co.u...the-difference-between-fixtures-and-fittings/

As I said before if its fixed its normally left, an integrated (fitted) washing machine is different to freestanding one.

A log burner would be a fixture since its permanently fixed to the fabric of the building, things like built in wardrobes, light switches, etc are all fixtures

I believe its normal that they spell out now that if light fixtures are removed a basic one has to be installed to replace it.

Caporegime
I would leave light bulbs and I would simply replace the smart ones with cheapest from screwfix. So I would take the smart bulbs with me.

However switches would have to be left or replaced as above but I do reckon you could get away with leaving no bulbs as it's an expendable item. As in I would expect a log burner to be left but not maybe the logs with it.

Back
Top Bottom