What watch do you wear?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Got the Crown & Buckle Obsidian one piece adjustable NATO today. Took almost a month to arrive and I also got rinsed by Royal Mail for a £14 international handling fee which makes this the most expensive non metal strap I have ever bought or even seen now :/

Nowhere else could I find this type of strap with black hardware available though so it is what it is. Quality is excellent, the pattern on the weave is cool too, think it suits the watch although there was a dark brown one I saw too.

PTSzRHp.jpg r6thzbl.jpg

Easily top NATO strap for quality and design I have had yet. Not as stiff as a genuine Maratac but I only had those in 22mm which tend to be thicker anyway.

Soldato
Having searched the thread, I see there are a few people who have owned a Tudor Pelagos and I was wondering if I could get a little help with sourcing one of my own.

I have tracked down an AD who has both the new in-house movement and, they say, a genuinely unworn, unsized and unmolested ETA version. Pricing is about £400 less for the ETA but both would come with the 5-year warranty.

NB. I am not yet aware what year the ETA is - waiting on confirmation from dealer.

I have tried a Pelagos on in another AD and love the watch, particularly the matte effect and satin finish (stands out by not standing out) but I’m torn on a number of things.

Firstly, ETA or in-house movement? I much prefer the cleaner two-line ETA but the looks of the in-house wouldn’t make me want to not buy the watch.

Secondly, as this will be a wearing watch and not something I will overly baby, am I stupid to look at a new model over a good quality used?

And finally, outside of a Sub, is there anything comparable to the Pelagos in terms of aesthetics and quality?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd go used if in good condition. You can save a good chunk, but they're holding good money at the moment, the whole Tudor range is tbh. I'm not sure about the Pelagos ETA vs In house, but everyone seems to push the Black Bay ETA as it's more of a limited run, so could be the same for this. They'll all be in house from here on out, so the people on the internet say for value the ETA is a better shout. I have an ETA black bay which is showing great value on the resale market.

And no, I'd love a Pelagos and so I think you should get one.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Having searched the thread, I see there are a few people who have owned a Tudor Pelagos and I was wondering if I could get a little help with sourcing one of my own.

I have tracked down an AD who has both the new in-house movement and, they say, a genuinely unworn, unsized and unmolested ETA version. Pricing is about £400 less for the ETA but both would come with the 5-year warranty.

NB. I am not yet aware what year the ETA is - waiting on confirmation from dealer.

I have tried a Pelagos on in another AD and love the watch, particularly the matte effect and satin finish (stands out by not standing out) but I’m torn on a number of things.

Firstly, ETA or in-house movement? I much prefer the cleaner two-line ETA but the looks of the in-house wouldn’t make me want to not buy the watch.

Secondly, as this will be a wearing watch and not something I will overly baby, am I stupid to look at a new model over a good quality used?

And finally, outside of a Sub, is there anything comparable to the Pelagos in terms of aesthetics and quality?

I had mine for s few years before selling on. Original version. The in house later revision has longer power reserve but the accuracy between both is nigh on identical. Mine was +1s a day regardless of how it was worn or unworn.

The newer model dial has more lines of text hough so looks less minimal which some don't like.

The Titanium case does scratch easier as it's softer than stainless steel and water marks will be more visible on it due to the reaction to liquid on satin Titanium of this grade. It truly is a stunning watch though with an over engineered bracelet clasp unmatched by anything on the market anywhere near this price range.

I would buy again but the Black Bay 58 is in my sights now really.

Soldato
Thank you for your input, gents - very much appreciated.

Used is a perfectly acceptable option, but one that I would have little idea of where to start looking. Chrono24 was recommended by a watch-collecting friend, but I wouldn’t know what was trustworthy and what wasn’t!

For those of you who buy used, do you buy privately or from a dealer? Are warranties worth the paper they are printed on?

dod

dod

Soldato
found a watch I'd been looking for for ages. This is the first watch I ever owned, when I was about 10 or 11, I got it as a present from Santa :p It got lost somehow in growing up, house moves etc but I've always wanted to find it again. Okay, this isn't the actual watch and it's got no real value but it fills the gap :) It also seems to be keeping very good time for a 45 year old watch :)

jowissa1.jpg

Caporegime
I'd go used if in good condition. You can save a good chunk, but they're holding good money at the moment, the whole Tudor range is tbh. I'm not sure about the Pelagos ETA vs In house, but everyone seems to push the Black Bay ETA as it's more of a limited run, so could be the same for this. They'll all be in house from here on out, so the people on the internet say for value the ETA is a better shout. I have an ETA black bay which is showing great value on the resale market.

And no, I'd love a Pelagos and so I think you should get one.
Hmm, I will soon look to sell my 3-4 year old blue Pelagos with in-house movement and the prices I saw on Chrono24 were a fair bit less than I paid, for example here is a new one from Japan for 30% less https://www.chrono24.com/tudor/pela...ue-dial-mens-watch---25600tb-0--id7117522.htm

Ok I paid retail in an authorizes reseller, but not sure how much difference that makes?

Soldato

Personally, I'd go for the ETA version as it's easier and cheaper to service. As an aside I tend to go for first releases and the Pelagos ETA models are more scarce so it makes it slightly more interesting.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Being denser (stronger) doesn't mean it will get fewer scratches. On the contrary.

I found it to attract little micro scuffs easier than mattte/brushed 316L. It has some self healing properties though so wasn't a huge issue in the long run for light scratches as they fix themselves on Titanium watches whereas on steel your have to get them sorted.

Soldato
Being denser (stronger) doesn't mean it will get fewer scratches. On the contrary.

I found it to attract little micro scuffs easier than mattte/brushed 316L. It has some self healing properties though so wasn't a huge issue in the long run for light scratches as they fix themselves on Titanium watches whereas on steel your have to get them sorted.
It doesn't have any self healing properties. The titanium itself is not scratching, when titanium is exposed to air or water it reacts and develops a thin titanium dioxide layer. This layer is what you are seeing marking easily.

Back
Top Bottom