The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
Exchanged this morning and moving day booked for 5th Feb. In process of organising broadband and address changes for many things next few days.

hard bit done. Glad it over. Hopefully rest is smooth sailing.
Remember Quidco
Made a very hundred with new utility accounts etc!

Caporegime
Another day on
another day without exchange

Going to get hassled soon by my landlord as we are now 1 month from end of contract.

I'm not giving notice without exchange, and they are wanting 6 months or leave

I can see why people go for new builds!

Soldato

I can't believe that in the 10 years or so I've been away from the UK, this scummy practice has apparently become the norm. I've got about 3 months left on my tenancy and I just know those scumbags are going to try and pull that tactic instead of letting it roll onto a monthly one, if I can't complete before then.

Disgusting that it's legal tbh.

Associate
Remember Quidco
Made a very hundred with new utility accounts etc!

already using TopCashback. Was going to do same for broadband but TalkTalk waived their fees for moving and new line and dropped my price rather than have me switch. Missed out on cashback but it’s fairly minor after the extra discount.

doing utilities and life insurance via cashback though.

Soldato

For us, along with the incentives we get, it was one of the many reasons we chose to go for a new build.

First viewed on the 28th December, if all goes to plan we are expecting to exchange by the 31st January or at worst 13th February. Been a very quick process.

Caporegime
For us, along with the incentives we get, it was one of the many reasons we chose to go for a new build.

First viewed on the 28th December, if all goes to plan we are expecting to exchange by the 31st January or at worst 13th February. Been a very quick process.

So quick! Had an email from the solicitors on other side. Apparently the guy is busy again today but it's happening tomorrow

Believe it when I see it

Soldato
So quick! Had an email from the solicitors on other side. Apparently the guy is busy again today but it's happening tomorrow

Believe it when I see it

Yes and no. It has been pretty quick but we've both been on it doing everything asked of us immediately. But despite that, the house may not be ready until May/June and I'm just fortunate that we can stay with family from March so wont be paying rent.

But we have to do a few meetings picking kitchen design, flooring and tiles etc. Can't wait for those arguments. I'll probably just shut up!

Caporegime
Yes and no. It has been pretty quick but we've both been on it doing everything asked of us immediately. But despite that, the house may not be ready until May/June and I'm just fortunate that we can stay with family from March so wont be paying rent.

But we have to do a few meetings picking kitchen design, flooring and tiles etc. Can't wait for those arguments. I'll probably just shut up!

That's cool though We aren't getting a new kitchen yet but did go into wren and saw some nice ones. Lucky we pretty much agreed on what we like!

I've gone past excitement and have hit the apathy stage on the exchange

Soldato
That's cool though We aren't getting a new kitchen yet but did go into wren and saw some nice ones. Lucky we pretty much agreed on what we like!

We disagree on everything in the kitchen! Doesn't help I spent 4/5 years as a kitchen designer in IKEA! She likes country style stuff which I find boring and I like gloss white/grey which she finds clinical. That being said I'll be indifferent about it really - as long as the audio/visual stuff gets left to me I'll be happy.

You may be a bit apathetic towards it at the moment but I expect once it is finally done you'll be really excited.

Edit: Literally just had someone in work have the property they wanted to buy fall through. Literally had everything done and the seller just pulled out. I feel so bad for them

Last edited:
Caporegime
We disagree on everything in the kitchen! Doesn't help I spent 4/5 years as a kitchen designer in IKEA! She likes country style stuff which I find boring and I like gloss white/grey which she finds clinical. That being said I'll be indifferent about it really - as long as the audio/visual stuff gets left to me I'll be happy.

You may be a bit apathetic towards it at the moment but I expect once it is finally done you'll be really excited.

Edit: Literally just had someone in work have the property they wanted to buy fall through. Literally had everything done and the seller just pulled out. I feel so bad for them

I like the country style too. I'm happy we have a range master rather than an induction hob. If had an induction hob would have to be modern.

Associate

Know the apathy bit well. Even though we have exchanged I’m convinced something will go wrong. Until I’m in the house it’s not done. Solicitors are good and bad. They have processes which drive us all insane.

It will have taken us from 28th August for accepted offer to 5th Feb for move in date. Estate agent on one we are buying says it’s a long time but others think anything under 6 months is fine. I’m in the middle. Had it’s challenges but wasn’t full of issues and I had to work hard to chase and drive it along. Keep at it and hope for tomorrow.

Caporegime
Exchange is done! Finally!

Been a stressful day. Estate agent (for rental) was pestering us for renewal as its a month to go!

Couple of pics of our first house

Z1S2yM2l.jpg

rM14ZvOl.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Another day on
another day without exchange

Going to get hassled soon by my landlord as we are now 1 month from end of contract.

I see from more recent posts you have now completed (congrats), but while renting you have to be given two month's notice to vacate (while you must normally give one month) and you are under no obligation to renew contracts once the initial one has expired... It simply becomes a periodic tenancy, which we've been on for ~12.5 years and hope to finally get on the housing ladder in 2020.

Caporegime
I see from more recent posts you have now completed (congrats), but while renting you have to be given two month's notice to vacate (while you must normally give one month) and you are under no obligation to renew contracts once the initial one has expired... It simply becomes a periodic tenancy, which we've been on for ~12.5 years and hope to finally get on the housing ladder in 2020.

Yeah I did some research And came to the same forced scenario. Hope this helps others

Caporegime
Congrats! It is a beauty! I wish my first house looked like that!

Thanks. I'm quite late to the party (30s)and it isn't that big a house (not as big as it looks)

A big thing for us is a garden. So we feel very lucky to have a big garden for our budget.

Wow looks great! What kind of condition is it in?

Good condition apart from some questionable wallpaper !!
Below is the kitchen

9b6gNTb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom