How do i find out?

Associate
My son has a pre built pc from another company.

we trying to find out what wattage the psu is but there is like a shroud thingy covering it and i dont want to start messing about with screw drivers and that.

the receipt had details of every part ....bar the psu.

i want to see if its good enough to push a rtx 2080ti.

It currently runs a radeon 5700.

is there anywhere in windows where i can check?

thanks

Soldato
No. You'll need to remove the shroud. Unless it's labled on the back. If you've got two 8 pin power connectors any half-way decent 500W PSU is going to be good enough for a 2080 Ti. The important thing there is half-way decent. I would trust a 460W Seasonic or Silverstone PSU more than a 500W Kolink and I wouldn't trust a 500W no-name Chinese PSU at all.

Soldato
It will only take a minute to remove the side panel and shroud.

What is the rest of the spec ? And what monitor is your Son using ? Chances are he doesn't need a 2080 ti. An RX 5700 is already good for 1080p, and will handle 1440p as well.

Soldato
Check the back (where the plug goes in) to see if there's a serial number, we might be able to look up the model from that.

I'll also echo others, we need to know what the full spec of the computer is and what monitor he's using.

Associate
OP
7e6fcdaa2bd0f86ccc0bf612c83f9b8a.png

Also there is a msi gaming pro x470 motherboard.

a thermaltake view 28 ring rgb.

the reason we thinking of changing to a 2080ti is that the new radeon driver is poor . Games keep crashing ...windows keep crashing ...all the error messages are gpu related.

Last edited:
Associate
The latest radeon drivers aint as good as they used to be but i doubt its crashing all the time because of them.
Just because the errors are GPU related it might not be because of the graphics system, could be power related or even a faulty board.

Soldato
First thing to try with multiple errors is to lower the RAM speed in the bios, to 2133 or 2400MHz, if that stops the crashes then what you have is a RAM problem. You could, if that's the case update the BIOS of the motherboard to the latest available(1.0.0.4 AB ageesa or later), then try again upping the RAM speed to XMP and see if it's better.

Have you updated the graphics drivers to the 'Adrenaline 20.1.4 drivers here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/grap...d-radeon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt

If you do both those things and it's still not fixed the issue then you should get in touch with the computer manufacturer and get an RMA.

Associate
OP
First thing to try with multiple errors is to lower the RAM speed in the bios, to 2133 or 2400MHz, if that stops the crashes then what you have is a RAM problem. You could, if that's the case update the BIOS of the motherboard to the latest available(1.0.0.4 AB ageesa or later), then try again upping the RAM speed to XMP and see if it's better.

Have you updated the graphics drivers to the 'Adrenaline 20.1.4 drivers here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/grap...d-radeon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt

If you do both those things and it's still not fixed the issue then you should get in touch with the computer manufacturer and get an RMA.

im going to be honest here ....im **** scared of updating the bios

Soldato
im going to be honest here ....im **** scared of updating the bios

Start by lowering the RAM speed first, if that doesn't fix, or at least lessen, the issue then don't bother with the BIOS and RMA it..

Updating the bios is easy these days, most motherboards have two bios chips so if you do bugger it up you can flip the switch to the other bios, boot it, flip the switch back and try again. Some of the board even have bios flashback, that is you can update the bios with just a USB stick plugged in and holding a button(or other method) - you don't even need to have a processor or RAM installed. Just make sure you have the correct BIOS for your board.

Soldato
If you've got two 8 pin power connectors any half-way decent 500W PSU is going to be good enough for a 2080 Ti.
Would be time to end this myth about everything Nvidia having low power consumption.
Non-reference 2080 Tis push toward 300W draw.
So would be wary about using them with 500W for anything but testing.

Soldato
Would be time to end this myth about everything Nvidia having low power consumption.
Non-reference 2080 Tis push toward 300W draw.
So would be wary about using them with 500W for anything but testing.

Probably also worth mentioning that lower quality power supplies do not have the same protections built into them as the higher quality stuff. I wouldn't personally want to risk a 2080ti (or the rest of my system) on a shoddy PSU that could potentially wipe the lot out should something go wrong.

Soldato
the reason we thinking of changing to a 2080ti is that the new radeon driver is poor . Games keep crashing ...windows keep crashing ...all the error messages are gpu related.
2080 Ti makes no sense.
It has super bad performance per price to start with.
And no future proofness to match the price, because actually using raytracing makes framerate crash down to multiple steps lower performance level.

And have you checked Reliability history and Event viewer?
I would expect those to have more than few errors.

Soldato
If your budget can stretch to an RTX 2080ti then you can definately afford a decent PSU. If you're genuinely on a tight budget though, just keep the 5700 because it's plenty fast enough for most people.

Associate
OP
44f4101fc501d03ae4d373e233208c99)
And you'll still be fine with a good 500W PSU. Yes, more is better. And necessary if if you overclock. But I ran a Titan X on a 460W PSU with absolutely no problem at all.

Just got the shroud off . This is the power supply:
44f4101fc501d03ae4d373e233208c99.jpg

Dont suppose anyone know if it will support a rtx 2080 or a
2080 percent i?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom