*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

Associate
Useful to know, thank you. Only found out I had it a couple of years ago and have subsequently had a number of issues with my legs (most of which is low level). Only just learning about it/implications now and didn't even think about squash :o. I only play intermittently/at most once a week and at a pretty low level. Regardless of the condition, I need to build my strength across the board any way. Wonder if it's worth using a PT for the first few hours who knows about hypermobility as the only machines I have used a gym is the rowing machine and treadmill.

Good luck with your recovery :).

Thanks should be back on court in the summer hopefully. Squash is a great game and I have had more injuries from football so will get back playing.
It might be worth doing some core work as well as that is useful for squash. PT might be worth it and general leg and core strength training will help.

Caporegime
Thanks should be back on court in the summer hopefully. Squash is a great game and I have had more injuries from football so will get back playing.
It might be worth doing some core work as well as that is useful for squash. PT might be worth it and general leg and core strength training will help.
Sweet, thank you - know nothing about this kind of stuff so really useful to have some initial info to get started on.

Soldato
OP
I always thought squash was considered quite dangerous/bad for knees? The pressure you put through them changing direction so quick etc? Having said that, exercising is the important thing and if you can do it while having fun, you're sorted! :)

Literally just tried on my new suit for work. In March it was a 50" chest with 44" waist. This one is 44" Slim Fit and 36" Slim Fit! (It's not the first at this size, but does make me smile when I think how far I've come! :) )

Last edited:
Soldato
Useful to know, thank you. Only found out I had it a couple of years ago and have subsequently had a number of issues with my legs (most of which is low level). Only just learning about it/implications now and didn't even think about squash :o. I only play intermittently/at most once a week and at a pretty low level. Regardless of the condition, I need to build my strength across the board any way. Wonder if it's worth using a PT for the first few hours who knows about hypermobility as the only machines I have used a gym is the rowing machine and treadmill.

Good luck with your recovery :).

With hypermobility, the main thing is that unlike most people who can lock a movement out at a joint and it be perfectly safe, you can go past that point and go into potentially unsafe territory, so you require a bit more body awareness than someone might normally in regards to paying attention to the range of motion being used on an exercise. E.g. with a leg press a repetition is complete when the legs are fully straightened, so you'd want to stop there when the hip, knee and ankle are stacked, and not allow the knees to go into hyperextension.

Man of Honour
With hypermobility, the main thing is that unlike most people who can lock a movement out at a joint and it be perfectly safe, you can go past that point and go into potentially unsafe territory, so you require a bit more body awareness than someone might normally in regards to paying attention to the range of motion being used on an exercise. E.g. with a leg press a repetition is complete when the legs are fully straightened, so you'd want to stop there when the hip, knee and ankle are stacked, and not allow the knees to go into hyperextension.

With a leg press (all leg exercises really) you should never lock out the joint even with regular joints. Always stop with slight flex in the knee.

Soldato
Wow, one meal every 48 hours sounds crazy to me! Does it take some getting used to? I feel like I wouldn't sleep for the hunger pangs? I also worry I'd have no energy (mind you, I'm jogging/cycling/lifting almost every day, which I guess wouldn't mix well with OMAD)

Btw, I heard about this diet rating study here from the Nutrition Diva Podcast. Quite interesting. Keto doesn't come out of it well.

yeah it takes some getting used to. At first OMAD was a struggle but the more you read about it and what's happening internally - insulin sensitivity and so on and ghrelin ( the hunger timing hormone ) you understand the bodies responses. Now entering ketosis is the norm that said I just went to GP yesterday to get their opinion on the shoulder issue ( already self referred to physio in Jan ) so I have to take a strong NSAID for 28 days so will be doing a 18:6 IF schedule for the next 28 days ( well 26 from tomorrow as this is day two ) then will go right back to ketosis once the requirement to take this drug is complete.

Keto diet can be tricky I guess - I don't try and be too restrictive when I eat - most of my time is not eating - the key is taking the electrolyte solution on the wholly non eating days - keeps me much more balanced - if I end up going without it headaches can set in after a while.

some good Q&A here

https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting/questions-and-answers

https://thefastingmethod.com/fasting-a-history-part-i/

https://thefastingmethod.com/fasting-physiology-part-ii/

Soldato
With a leg press (all leg exercises really) you should never lock out the joint even with regular joints. Always stop with slight flex in the knee.

Biomechanically, joints are made to lock out. It is in this locked out position when they're in the most stable position to support loads and contributes the most towards the strengthening of the connective tissue at the joint - which is why isometric holds are sometimes prescribed to hypermobile people to help them strengthen these end ranges where they're more vulnerable than the regular person.

If you never train to lockout (i.e. you're shortening the range of motion) then you're not strengthening your joint, be it the knee or elbow, in the end range position and can often put more stress on it than if you locked out. In powerlifting and weightlifting if you're not locked out, the lift isn't passed. Doing any sort of straight limb isometric holds in things like gymnastics you have to lock out to hold the position. And so on. 'Locking out is bad' as an absolute statement is just as much nonsense as all the advice not to squat deep or allow the knees to come forward because it's 'bad', despite being thoroughly disproven scientifically.

There are contexts when you shouldn't lock out:
- when you come down on a fully locked joint with no movement to absorb the shock e.g. if you're jumping up and down, you don't want to land on locked knees
- if you have an acute knee joint injury such as a meniscus tear or a degenerative joint disease and knee extension causes pain.
- immediately following knee surgery
- if you go into significant, visible or painful hyper-extension in a tall-knee position (hence the advice to stop at normal end ranges)

The other thing is that if you're loading silly amounts of weight onto a leg press, the chances are overwhelmingly that you're likely using a tiny range of motion to stroke your ego, and the kind of loads 95% of people will be using for a good range of motion leg press is such that locking out simply won't compromise joint safety in any way.

Soldato
OP
Clearly the Keto Diet gets good results, there's lots of people on here having success with it, I just can't see it as being a good idea? There seems to be mixed reaction on the internet about it, with some suggesting it's a short term solution and should only be for those very overweight? I personally don't like the idea of diets that are strict and cut things out. I know that sounds silly as I've cut lots of things out, but this morning for example, I've just had a wholemeal bagel instead of my usual porridge. I've logged it. I know how many calories it was (about twice that of the porridge) and I'll just factor that into today's plan.

I have found recently I struggle the most in the evening. Yesterday I was working late, I woke about 7:30am, cycled (indoors) at 9am and wasn't even all that hungry but had porridge about 10. Jacket potato for lunch, Huel for dinner with various protein bars and yogurts for desserts, but it's the evening I keep ending up so hungry I had a bowl of cereal, apple. kiwi AND biscuit bar, all before bed. I then woke around 3am really hungry, couldn't sleep so had a protein bar and it got me to sleep. One of my resolutions was to eat less after 7pm... but that's the point I find hardest :(

Soldato
Clearly the Keto Diet gets good results, there's lots of people on here having success with it, I just can't see it as being a good idea?
People think that its the fact they are doing Keto thats getting them results....its not. Its overall calorie reduction thats doing it, not the fact that your switching food group %.
Any way of eating should be long term sustainable, like a poster has said above its all well and good going on a restrictive diet like Keto but what happens why you stop or you have had enough? your put the kg back on.

Its considerably HEALTHIER to think about eating a bit more holistically then 'muh no carbs for me'.

Permabanned
keto is not hard .. and it's the food groups I love to eat .the only thing that I've had to cut out is bread and potatoes. but I still get bacon and egg for breaky cheese and meat for lunch ..
and lamb/beef/chicken for tea it's at night I eat the veg with 20gms of carbs in it tho prob less than that .. snacks .. pork scratchings or chicken wings
drinks..as long as there sugar free fine ..I drink a lot of water and only 1 cup of coffee a day ..

it's amazing how less hungery you are after the second week .. some times I may only eat twice a day .. suits me down to the ground .
once I hit my weight i'll still eat this way

Permabanned
I lost 6 stone 4 years ago (I was not fat growing up, more naturally athletic and extremity strong but was fat for about 10 years on and off and each time getting older and fatter for longer) was easily well over 18 stone but weight at Docs at 18s 3lbs after a good few week of cutting back and feeling bit thinner due to water loss etc so ended up 12s 5lb stone (under due to muscle loss and face was a bit drawn and I was told this) and was caused by too much cardio without resistance training added to near middle/end of weight lose.

I did not diet, just cut a little then started more walking and then onto a Glider cardio machine (kind of like running more than skiing) eventually some old fashioned army pull ups/chin ups/press ups etc to regain lost muscle which took 3 months (Farm built big arms/chest not artificial gym built) all this was at home, not a gym person.

Then it was up and down in the 85-90Kg range (using this scale as this is what the nurse at my Docs Practice used when I went to get weighed every 6-8weeks).

This up and down pattern when on for another year then I did a lot of reading men's health/science sites and making decisions based on common sense about why we were not so fat in the 60-90's and took a chance and increased cals and protein to try to maintain weight and it fell of me fast doing next to nothing extra from above in a matter of a few months all the way to 82.6KG (13stone my old fit weight) that was hardest part, to reset body's natural setpoint where it will stay there as any dieting/exercise can make your metabolism Helter Skelter up and down.

I was touched today by this guys video (look at # of comments and likes in the short time tis been up (he has potentially saved himself from a early grave).

Soldato
Moderate set back for me.

Went to Amsterdam for 5 days last week which involved a lot of beer, wine and food. I always told myself though that i wasn't planning on "dieting" and am actually looking forward to getting back to reduced food/drink.

Back
Top Bottom