Network Engineer Career Advice...

Associate
Hi Guys!,

I need some advice/help in regards to my career.

I have now been in IT for exactly 2 years having been in 1st/2nd line support roles and I am now looking to start transitioning into the networking side of things.

I am currently studing for my CCNA as well as my Comptia Network+ of which hopefully ill get done in 4-5 months then move onto CCNP, but it seems to me even the junior networking roles ( juniper/cisco ) are all asking for 1 or 2 years experience as a network engineer.

I can't get into a networking role as I dont have the experience, but as I don't have the experience I can't get into a networking role.

so how do i break the loop?

If there are any network engineers on this forum ( and how they got their foot through the door) any advice will be most welcome! :)

Thnaks in advance!

Soldato
Two options. 1) get lucky. 2) Work in a large enterprise be awesome in the day job and offer to help with the OOH project work once you start to get known (and don't be annoying). 1 worked for me with some careful positioning, 2 has worked for all those we have taken on into junior roles.

Caporegime
First off, don’t bother with the Network+ it won’t teach you anything the CCENT doesn’t cover, and you can then focus on the Cisco certs rather than waste time.

Secondly, to break into the field you could always try moving to a smaller business where you end up being more of a jack of all trades rather than a dedicated network engineer.

This is how I ended up getting involved in Networking, I ended up inheriting the control of the network in a smaller (200-300 employee) business and as it grew I gained more and more equipment and complexity.

Back
Top Bottom