This Business and Moment...

Soldato
OP
Argggghs. Feedback from Doodle. Didn't get to next round. I'm OK with that now. I was a bit bummed but expected it really.

I've got v1.0 of storage hunter app out on Android, but need to get out the iOS STILL. Apple has been a complete pain and I can't seem to enroll for the dev account for LSB Collective, which means I can't launch it. It's been escalated to a senior team apparently. Hopefully this week, it's been weeks now.

I've been doing user stories today for the VolAir app as I want to get that out. Finally. I want to use the guy who did my Storage Hunter app, too. I like him and his communications. Will get them over to him tonight and see what the timescales and costs are likely to be. More complicated now as the app I want to have payments as well as some other things. Will see!

Cheezus is v1.0 sorted apparently for Android, but the guy is waiting for access to a Mac so he can get the iOS version finished. Annoying as that's what I have and both apps I can't bloody use! But hey, it's coming together regardless. Slowly again.

Had a weird opportunity with emotuit. A company (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciright_Systems) contacted me and asked me to provide them with an API/ Service that would allow them to get back details on gender, age and emotions of person for many use cases they have in retail.
Now, it's not what emotuit does... emotuit uses a service from microsoft to get this information, we just analyse it and present it back to customers. That's where our IP is.

Saying that, I know I can get it done quickly to provide this API for this Ciright company. I spoke with their CEO on the phone a number of times and in his words, "if we can work together on this, we have huge demand this year on our solutions, together we could make some serious money" so now I'm like, ****, I have to do this. So I'm working to find someone who can turn out this service in the smallest time to send over to them to use.
I'm hoping to shortlist someone today for the job so I can quickly get it turned around and give the API details to Ciright and see if I can pull off a complete miracle.

So that's my week.

Caporegime
Had to let my current client know I would be leaving today, all fine and well until they asked who I'd be moving on to next. It's my old managers new company, so they immediately think he's poached me, which isn't true as it was a genuine surprise when he called me to say I'd applied there, but I feel bad for him as it's made him look bad. Couldn't be worse timing for it as well, we get told about all contractors being told to leave come March, then a week later I'm telling them I'm going to a new company, and his of all the places. So I can see why think it's pretty suspect

Made things pretty awkward and I hope I've not burnt any bridges, but ultimately I've just done what's best for me as they couldn't offer me a contract past March anyway

I mean if they couldn't offer you a contract past march anyway then WTF, I don't think they've got any grounds to complain or feel miffed as you had to leave regardless. Surely moving to where an old manager works would be sensible anyway if it hadn't been coincidental/a surprise that he happened to be at the place you applied to.

I mean I really don't get why they'd be funny about it - you're a contractor not an employee, where you go next is none of their business in the first place tbh...

Soldato
OP
I mean if they couldn't offer you a contract past march anyway then WTF, I don't think they've got any grounds to complain or feel miffed as you had to leave regardless. Surely moving to where an old manager works would be sensible anyway if it hadn't been coincidental/a surprise that he happened to be at the place you applied to.

I mean I really don't get why they'd be funny about it - you're a contractor not an employee, where you go next is none of their business in the first place tbh...
Agree with this! People are weird though and although they should know you're a contractor, people are weird. Full stop.

Good on you lining something up though!

Associate
I've just verbally accepted a new job. I've asked if they can give it to me in writing before I hand in my resignation.

Longer travel but it's not a difficult commute. Over 5.5k pay increase with yearly increases. Free lunch. Loads of avenues to go down. Loads of training to be provided. Other perks. I'm actually delighted.

Soldato
After being made redundant at the end of Nov, I took December off and jan was been hospital operations taking up 3 weeks but I had two companies interested in me without applying. One outside option that may end up as an opportunity but kind of like starting new business & product from scratch. The other I’ve had two chats/informal interviews and a planned HR formal one shortly. They’ve created a job spec and the role is a foot into door of some freaky stuff. Even chatted to the company president at the coffee point.

Still not counting my eggs so the updated CV has started to go out (although being bed bound for the last week hasn’t helped.

Soldato
OP
Nice @NickK! And it sounds mad... haha

I've just got back from a few days away, but while I was there had some great progress on all fronts. Well, all of my side projects anyway.

It's been a bit weird lately with emotuit, the web traffic is going a bit nuts, I've had 1785 new visitors in 2020 so far, I don't advertise and I've been winding down really. Well, I was until I got this potential project with the US company Ciright. It started ramping up traffic since end of Oct last year, and considering in the whole of 2018 I had 2600 new users, this last few months has been a bit weird. As such, I've also received 2 requests to use our plugin for learning management systems in the last week.
On top of that, I have this opportunity with the US company I needed to deliver, so found someone to help me with this.
Sure enough, I'm ready for it! I just need to do some tweaks and send instructions on the API end points to Ciright and I'm hoping we can find a way to partner for all their applications they need.

While I was away as well, the latest version of Storage Hunter was released. There is a new admob banner for the consumer version showing in the app. I'm STILL waiting on Apple to sort my account and then the iOS will be done. I seem to have all the issues on the Apple front, which is annoying as that's what I use, too. Anyway, the app is ready to be deployed, just need the dev account for the company.

Then, my good old Cheezus. I love this because it's just something so complicated for technology, but it's such a great use case and has so much potential, too. I am using an Egyptian dude for this and it's been a bit bitty and can be more hit and miss, but he's so far delivered what's needed and I couldn't be happier.
I played with the backend admin site for the app, where I can add info on the cheeses and it's where I'll be able to add the recommendations for pairings, too as well as all admin stuff for the app. Not only this but I finally got a so very nearly ready version of the app, again on Android.

I'm dead pleased with this! It's going to be so good. I have the guy sorting out the list for the Eat and Drink with pairings now, and the associated UI in the app and after that we're ready for a tentative beta launch! Can't wait...!

It's great to see things really coming along, and although I'm working on about 27439364 things, it's nice to see little things popping off and managing those! It's never as quick as I like, but with the budgets I have, it's to be expected and it's actually good to help me manage it all lol

Anyway, that's my essay.

Man of Honour
At the end of this month I will have been with VMware for 6 months, which also coincides with the end of my probation period. I've been very happy since joining and my manager said to me yesterday that he's going to approve the official end of probation once the workflow reaches him. :D

Commissario
Nice one @ChrisD. , great news!

I heard on the grapevine yesterday that there's talks of putting everyone onto umbrella companies come April time...not sure if there's any truth to this yet though...

Consigliere
Hmmm got made redundant from a fashion e-com website, didn't work my notice so December was lively.

Decided to totally change my career and looking into account manager roles but wow even with 10 years of experience with transferable skills, it's a tough area to break into.

Do have an interview on Monday through a contact i had in my previous role but yeah, not working for 3 months plus going through redundancy...feeling brain dead and unloved. o

Got in touch with a few temping agencies last week/popped in for a meet and greet so that'll get me busy again.

Soldato
Nice one!!

Will ping them tomorrow, It's been a day without noise. Hopefully the package is signed off by the execs.

Heart goes out to all the previous company employees as rumours of a top down re-org are running around the media following CEO change late last year. Some have been lifers so think I may have to help boost their confidence with the outside jobs.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Current manager is moving roles and everyone is asking me if I’m going to go for it.

Undecided, feel like I should as a natural progression, but enjoy my current role and have an easy/comfortable life.

But maybe too much so and a change could be good...

Soldato
Current manager is moving roles and everyone is asking me if I’m going to go for it.

Undecided, feel like I should as a natural progression, but enjoy my current role and have an easy/comfortable life.

But maybe too much so and a change could be good...

I’d go for it.

if it’s not challenging then you’re slowly going to disengage..

Back
Top Bottom