Switching from IPS to VA?

Associate
So I've had the Asus Vx24ah for the last year, developed a fault so was offered a replacement or refund, chose a refund.

I bought the LG27UL650 to replace it as I was after 4k and thought 27 would be a good size however once it was setup I noticed terrible backlight bleed and IPS glow. I'm now returning that one aswell so wondered if anyone can recommend something with good black levels and minimal bleed?

I'm leaning towards VA now, looks like I'll have to go for 1080p 24 inch of 27inch to fit below £300. Blue light and eye care is also important to me so I'm looking at the BenQ's.

Will I notice a big improvement with VA or is it not worth the switch?

Edit: worth mentioning I use mainly for PS4 but also desktop work use and occasional pc games such as planet coaster.

Soldato
Bleed is a lottery no matter the panel tech... VA can suffer from this just as badly as IPS. The other issue with VA is colour shift across the panel, which I've yet to see one without. This will be more obvious coming from IPS which has better uniformity.

There's no doubt black levels are better on VA, but that can be wrecked with severe bleed. There's also the black smearing/ghosting issue which some people seem more sensitive to than others. Personally it's never bothered me, but I have always picked up on the colour shift aspect. That isn't going to be noticeable in games though, only on the desktop.

Soldato
In my experience ips is clearly the better type of screen. Unfortunately nearly every ips panel I've bought I've had to swap them out to get one with acceptable back light bleed and low levels of ips glow. I'm happy to use both types (not TN as it's horrid especially in laptops)
VA I've never had any screen issues other than random dead pixels. Everyone's milage will vary.

Soldato
Personal preference, but I much prefer VA over IPS. Every IPS screen I've ever owned as had dark grey blacks, and bleed/cloudyness.

In contrast, every VA screen I've ever had has been perfect. No bleed, and jet black blacks.

I think the negative with VA is blur, but I never noticed any.

It was the same when I bought my bedroom TV. Decided on a samsung 40" and told my dad to get the same. He wanted a bigger screen for the lounge so got the 49" model. Turns out, samsung fitted VA to the 40" and 55" yet went with IPS for the 49"

His TV isn't a patch on mine......he's happy with it though.

Soldato
Used to have IPS then switched over to 32" VA and love it. blacks are nice and uniform and while you do get some minor ghosting at high refreshrate on desktop. Its not anything noticed in games. And shouldnt be anything to worry about at a lower refreshrate.

Viewing angles are fine, not quite as good as IPS. But nothing i've ever noticed in games or desktop unless specificalling moving around or comparing screens.

Most IPS gaming screens i've owned seemed to have some kind of bleed/glow issue or off color whites.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been using a VA paneled Samsung U32H850 for a few years now for Xbox and more recently PC gaming and the ghosting is quite noticeable if you're looking for it but you can quickly learn to ignore it.

I'm using 2 x IPS LG 27UL650s at work for Photoshop duties and bar one monitor bought which was the single worst bleed disaster I have ever seen, they've been great.

Associate
I'm leaning towards VA now, looks like I'll have to go for 1080p 24 inch of 27inch to fit below £300. Blue light and eye care is also important to me so I'm looking at the BenQ's.

I like VA a lot. I have BenQ EW3270U, 4k VA panel and love it. You can find that for £300 if you shop around. It's only 60Hz and not everyone wants a screen that big though.

What we're currently waiting on for my partner is an MSI monitor, a MAG272QR, 1440p, 144Hz, flat, VA, looks to be priced £280 ish, hopefully available late Jan/Early Feb. The MSI is allegedly a 1ms gaming monitor, so you would hope that any/all ghosting has been sorted out.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all replies everyone! I'm definitely leaning towards VA now as I really don't think I'll mind colour shift, or atleast would take that over bleed/glow if I had to pick one.

Does seem to be significantly less VA available on the market, most geared towards high refresh not Res :(

May just settle for a cheaper one for now with the look to upgrade in a couple years once there is hopefully a good amount of OLED monitors on the market!

Associate
OP
I like VA a lot. I have BenQ EW3270U, 4k VA panel and love it. You can find that for £300 if you shop around. It's only 60Hz and not everyone wants a screen that big though.

What we're currently waiting on for my partner is an MSI monitor, a MAG272QR, 1440p, 144Hz, flat, VA, looks to be priced £280 ish, hopefully available late Jan/Early Feb. The MSI is allegedly a 1ms gaming monitor, so you would hope that any/all ghosting has been sorted out.

That BenQ looks great, just wish they did it in a 24-27 as I think 32 would be too big considering how far away I sit (desk it quite shallow)

Could wait for that MSI but then I'll be using the monitor for the PS5 once that's released and I bet it won't support 1440p unfortunately hence why I was looking to 4k

Man of Honour
I use a va and IPS panel side by side.
IPS for gaming, va for movies.
The ghosting on VA panels is very noticeable and distracting

Soldato
I use a va and IPS panel side by side.
IPS for gaming, va for movies.
The ghosting on VA panels is very noticeable and distracting
This is my experience as well, even on the premium VA's ive owned. However movie watching on them was pretty darn good. Until they sort out the dark smearing of VA's completely i personally wouldn't want one for gaming. If one doesn't game i see no major issues as long as it is still one of the faster VA panels on the market.

Associate
OP
This is my experience as well, even on the premium VA's ive owned. However movie watching on them was pretty darn good. Until they sort out the dark smearing of VA's completely i personally wouldn't want one for gaming. If one doesn't game i see no major issues as long as it is still one of the faster VA panels on the market.

Was going to say, surely the gaming focused high refresh VA's suffer minimal ghosting? So hard to make a decision as I don't want to be faffing around returning monitors! Already returned two :(

Caporegime
Was going to say, surely the gaming focused high refresh VA's suffer minimal ghosting? So hard to make a decision as I don't want to be faffing around returning monitors! Already returned two :(

VA ghosting is there on my 100hz Samsung VA, and black crush too but it's not awful. Its not a great gaming experience but it was a good price so I'll live with it until OLED or microLED is mainstream.

IPS has always looked far better to my eye. I'm not sure if its VA's subpixel layout but text always looks poor on VA monitors to me too.

Soldato
It's a preference thing in the end. What I personally find horrible and intolerable the next guy might not even care about. That said high refresh VA's are certainly not without a good about of dark smearing and the main problem is overdrive on them is out the window. I havent seen one where it was at an acceptable level at both 100hz and 60hz causing Variable Refresh rate gaming to be a pain.

Man of Honour
just depends on what your compromises are
even the high end VA panels suffer from ghosting/inverse ghosting - its the panel technology and no matter how much you polish up a turd...it's still a turd
IPS panels lack contrast compared to VA panels but pixel response is fast enough so that ghosting is not an issue

IMO i'd rather have worse blacks and less contrast on an IPS panel, than deal with the headache that is a blurry mess when the fps drops on a VA panel
but as always YMMV
you can see some other forumers swear by VA, and others by IPS/TN
you'll just have to try each screen out and see what you can live with

Associate
VA is too blurry for gaming I don't know how some people live with it. Went back to TN myself as didn't want to bother with the IPS lottery too.

Soldato
VA is too blurry for gaming I don't know how some people live with it. Went back to TN myself as didn't want to bother with the IPS lottery too.

I agree with the above regarding VA. I also have a VA TV which is perfect when watching dead centre but move to either side and it drops off dramatically and I was alarmed the monitor I tried did the same thing plus my viewing angle I sit at was offputting as I often sit slightly lower down. Been lucky with my last two IPS screens really excellent.

Soldato
VA's were designed for TV's and thats what they're good at, I have no problem using one for that purpose but for PC gaming, they are decidely 2nd rate.

Monitor manufacturers keep shoving these VA turds out the door, marketing them as gaming panels, which ironically is the last thing they are suited for but the prices are what keeps them selling, I guess. A similar specced IPS panel is always $100-$200 more expensive.

Permabanned
My mothers LG TV is VA and angles are ok, but who sites at massive angle anyhow these days.

Her Newer LG TV was IPS not as good blacks.

I would take a good VA over a Good IPS/TN (if all were bang on near perfect for their panel type) as coming from CRT/Plasma I need good blacks and contrast ratio.

The panels today are crap with poor QA most of them from AU Optronics, look at the Eizo Foris FG2421 (Sharp VA Panel) to see better quality.

Last edited:
Soldato
IPS panels I find difficult to acclimatise to due to the terrible black levels and IPS glow. Combined together in a dark envrionment and I find it really annoying.

For productivity, I love them though.

Back
Top Bottom