Most useful DIY gear for £20-25?

Soldato
I’m looking at getting some DIY gear for my brother’s birthday as he’s just moving into his first home and doesn’t have much. What do you think would be the most useful thing(s) I get for around £20-25?

I’m currently thinking a decent set of screwdrivers, or possible an array of drill bits.

Soldato
I'll second ^that.

But since he has no tools, I'll guess he also doesn't have much experience either, so I'll also suggest a nice leather filofax, populated with phone numbers of local plumbers, electricians, carpenters, joiners, cabinet-makers, carpet layers, roofers, gardeners, skip hire companies, and the local ambulance service! :p

Soldato
A good quality tape measure.
Will last years and really save time compared to the junkers.

My preference is for a metric only (that way you can take readings from both edges in the rather more used metric) 5m tape. A topreader function also takes the guesswork out of measuring between edges you're sandwiched between.

https://www.stanleytools.co.uk/products/detail/Products/HAND+TOOLS/Measures/Tape+measures/STANLEY®+PowerLock®+5M+(19mm+wide)+Tape+Measure+with+top+reader

Then that leaves you enough to get a good, decent useful length spirit level too. Useful for everything from picture hanging to shelving to amateur furniture making.

Soldato
Thinking about the jobs they'll probably want to do in a new house;

Hammer
PH2 Screwdriver
Flat Head Screwdriver (Probably SL5)
Tape Measure
Spirit Level
Heavy Duty Side Cutting Pliers
Needle Nose Pliers

Then you're into a drill/driver and drill bits, which is going to blow your budget.

Soldato
A good quality tape measure.
Will last years and really save time compared to the junkers.

My preference is for a metric only (that way you can take readings from both edges in the rather more used metric) 5m tape. A topreader function also takes the guesswork out of measuring between edges you're sandwiched between.

https://www.stanleytools.co.uk/products/detail/Products/HAND+TOOLS/Measures/Tape+measures/STANLEY®+PowerLock®+5M+(19mm+wide)+Tape+Measure+with+top+reader

Then that leaves you enough to get a good, decent useful length spirit level too. Useful for everything from picture hanging to shelving to amateur furniture making.
Amazon have a Stanley fat max 5m tape measure on for £5.50 (prime members), ordered myself one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B001DZQSJS/ref=mw_dp_olp?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Soldato
yes I ordered one of them too do u think it'll be good quality?

Stanley have gone a bit downhill recently unless some of the tools I'm buying are fakes.
The fat max stuff seems respectable, can't speak for the machine tools though. I have a JCB one I picked up out of the bargain bin in B&Q it's similar but 10m long, the only thing wrong with it is the dodgy locking mechanism which is meant to keep the blade out until you press. The spring is poor and doesn't hold the tape out now but it's quite decent quality.

Soldato
I personally would ask him what he wants and intends to do so you can accurately scope what to get him.

However should you not want to do that a decent set of screwdrivers and bits will be handy.
I personally wouldn't bother with things like mole grips and drills yet unless you're confident that he's competent in using them.

Soldato
A decent set of screwdrivers and a set of pliers. There’s not much that can’t be solved with a set of needle nose pliers...

A good drill is probably too expensive, but you might not be far off a reasonable corded one.

Soldato
A hammer
A bigger hammer
A huge hammer lol

No seriously a hammer
Screwdrivers
And my favourite tool
Mole grips/locking pliers/locking wrench
Much more useful than pliers
Got a set of 4 from large
Down to really dinky ones
They are so useful

Associate
I would probably blow the whole budget on a decent set of screwdrivers, I have a set of Teng ones and they are great. Life is too short to buy rubbish screwdrivers.

A set of hex keys is also handy, as would a half decent tape measure and a small spirit level and a hammer (for hanging pictures etc).

Dave

Soldato
Thinking about the jobs they'll probably want to do in a new house;

Hammer
PH2 Screwdriver
Flat Head Screwdriver (Probably SL5)
Tape Measure
Spirit Level
Heavy Duty Side Cutting Pliers
Needle Nose Pliers

Then you're into a drill/driver and drill bits, which is going to blow your budget.
NOT a PH2,thats a Phillips
You want a PZ2,Pozi
Pozi are far more common than Phillips head screws in DIY
:)

Soldato
A hammer
A bigger hammer
A huge hammer lol

No seriously a hammer
Screwdrivers
And my favourite tool
Mole grips/locking pliers/locking wrench
Much more useful than pliers
Got a set of 4 from large
Down to really dinky ones
They are so useful

You forgot the duct tape and wd40, along with the hammers, that's every job sorted

Back
Top Bottom