• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cpu stopped working 3950

Man of Honour
Good to see its back, minor charing is simply how you know it's done a days work. I had my suspicions that the cpu was fine.
Im still getting crazy high chipset temps, just played an hour of red dead 2 and it is hitting 90.3C at max - gigabyte Aurus Ultra. Wondering if its worth taking off the chipset fan and putting some grizzly on it.

Seems high and im guessing your not hammering it with nvme raid? Mind you I say seems high, I have never even looked at mine and I do run 3xnvme in raid lol

Soldato
OP
I’ve got 3 x m.2 drives in it, but have moved one out to an external enclosure to see if that helped but it hasn’t.

Will test with my gpu in vertical mount tomorrow to see if the pch temps go down, but it pushes gpu temps up, fans spinning, I can see it in bios and hear it if I turn it to max

Soldato
I’ve got 3 x m.2 drives in it, but have moved one out to an external enclosure to see if that helped but it hasn’t.

Will test with my gpu in vertical mount tomorrow to see if the pch temps go down, but it pushes gpu temps up, fans spinning, I can see it in bios and hear it if I turn it to max

Just trying to test to find out what's causing the high temps first.

Soldato
OP
I’ll pull the second one out to see if it makes a difference , made none putting the third in an external enclosure, I thought maybe as that one didn’t have a heat sink in it it would make a difference but to no avail.

I am using hwinfo sensors, but gigabytes own app does show them 10c or so cooler

Soldato
OP
So, ran a 3dmark stress test, but chipset temps were down to about 65C during that test, ill try a longer play of RDR2 tonight to see if pulling the gpu away from the board is making the difference, the graphics card is totally roasting though, the amount of heat that thing generates is insane.

Soldato
OP
So got everything running sweet now, cpu in vertical mount, i had to tie off the card to pull it back a bit from the side panel, i installed it before that way but the temps were too high.

Just ran a stress test on 3dmark and CPU maxxed at 68.4C, chipset at 70.8C and CPU at 77C. Looks way better too like that :)

Soldato
Glad you got the temps sorted. So that's a 20c drop in chipset temp by moving the GPU. Manufacturers really should not have put chipset fans on these things or otherwise moved the chipset further down the board.

Interestingly on the subject, My X570 asus formula also has terrible chipset fan placement and my triple a lot GPu totally blocks its airflow. However I've not seen temps go over 70c. I think I'm lucky because my case has good airflow - I have 4 x 140mm and 6 x 120mm case fans

Back
Top Bottom