• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

really getting fed up with the posts stating RTX/DLSS does not work this gen

Soldato
Explored and realised visuals aren't t very important in a twitch shooter. People want 144fps in Doom not 60fps and pretty visuals.

Doom adding ray tracing would be like counter strike adding ray tracing

Soldato
Explored and realised visuals aren't t very important in a twitch shooter. People want 144fps in Doom not 60fps and pretty visuals.

Or Quake II adding RT. Oh, wait a minute :).
Probably more down to time and effort because they could implement it and those who want high FPS could switch it off. It's nice to have the option tbh. RT/DLSS seems to be still mostly done post release. It's taken a while for it to appear in Youngblood so maybe they've just decided not to bother in this case.
I bought YB yesterday and purposely held off purchasing it until RT was in there,paying less for it than on release too.I'd do the same with other games too if they don't have it available on release day 1. I'd probably buy Doom Eternal early if it's definitely not getting RT although tbh i'm not a big fan of the Doom games so without RT I'm probably a little less likely to buy it now.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Not everyone ;)

I would take 60fps with top visuals. Plenty smooth for me. Not like I would be playing it online, just the campaign.

Soldato
Wow! Didn't expect DLSS to gimp RT that badly. Also notable how there's many other not immediately noticeable downgrades happening with DLSS on, particularly with reflections but not just. #JustNvidiaThings. I guess in the end DLSS got better but not as much as DigitalFoundry was shilling it (unsurprisingly they too got showcased by Nvidia afterwards & got a youtube vid - I'm sure it's all a coincidence ofc).

Missed opportunity in checking out the shading option as well, but I suppose it was a long enough video as it is. All in all, DLSS remains a 'meh who cares' option, but at least it's not total crap anymore.

Caporegime
New versions much better, looks like Native, and should be in all games easily, as no more training, or devs needing to do it, Nvidia can just do it via their Game Ready Drivers.

Last edited:
Associate
New versions much better, looks like Native, and should be in all games easily, as no more training, or devs needing to do it, Nvidia can just do it via their Game Ready Drivers.

Damn, didn't see you'd posted this in here, just threw it in the AMD RIS vs DLSS thread.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
DLSS in 2020: "Absolutely Stunning Results, This could be The Game Changer, AMD needs to respond in a big way. We can easily recommend DLSS 2.0 as it's just a free performance button"

https://www.techspot.com/amp/article/1992-nvidia-dlss-2020/
DLSS 2.0 eh? :D

I knew all the stuff the advertised for the 2000 series would not be implamented well until the 3000 series at the earliest. Lets see how it goes when I get my 3000 series GPU once they come out.

Associate

I did notice the graphics in Doom 2016.
Doom does tend to have a lot of shady areas and varied lighting. And in 2016 there are times you are not fighting.
You would notice if Eternal came out and it looked like original Doom. Graphics do matter.

Associate
I knew all the stuff the advertised for the 2000 series would not be implamented well until the 3000 series at the earliest.

As far as RTX goes, I suspect you're correct. However, DLSS 2.0 is a change to the AI algorithm nVidia use in their compute centers. It looks like a real breakthrough as it no longer requires per game training, and can be updated via driver updates rather than game patches. Therefore this will bring benefits to both 2000 and 3000 series GPUs, and presumably beyond.

Man of Honour
Im confused - Isn't the whole idea of DLSS that it uses AI to train the improvements in? If it's just going to be patched in drivers by the devs what exactly is the 'AI' doing now?

Soldato
Im confused - Isn't the whole idea of DLSS that it uses AI to train the improvements in? If it's just going to be patched in drivers by the devs what exactly is the 'AI' doing now?

The AI is just looking for patterns which it then applies a known result to.
Doing it in a generic way is much better, i would much preffer to see DLSS 2.0 2X be used for AA instead of upscaling and all the other jazz.

DLSS 2.0 is a marked improvement in quality over previous versions, but it's still not as good as native and only better in situations where the TAA is terrible to begin with. But once you turn off post processing effects that blur the scene, DLSS falls behind Native by a lot.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
As far as RTX goes, I suspect you're correct. However, DLSS 2.0 is a change to the AI algorithm nVidia use in their compute centers. It looks like a real breakthrough as it no longer requires per game training, and can be updated via driver updates rather than game patches. Therefore this will bring benefits to both 2000 and 3000 series GPUs, and presumably beyond.
Yeah fair enough, but it has taken majority if not by the time it is done it will have taken the whole of the 2000 series product life cycle to have got to this point. As I suspected from the start, the 2000 series is beta testing Nvidia's stuff where you pay for the privilege of doing so. I thank everyone who has done this and look forward to the 3000 series :p

Back
Top Bottom