January Transfer Window 2019/20

Man of Honour
Yeah exactly. :p

To be fair I remember Ighalo playing against us and he looked good, then just disappeared off to China.

I didn't expect us to get a striker in so he's worth a go IMO. Turned down Spurs as well :p

Don
He had a very good first season in the PL but then fell off a cliff in the 2nd season. Iirc Watford turned down combined bids of over £60m for him and Deeney after the first season.

Don
It's really simple Baz, we play three 'forwards' we currently have....3 fit who have primarily played there. Mata and Pereira have kind of filled in at times but Pereira has also had to fill in at CM too. Unless they're going to play every single game we needed more options, our squad is incredibly light. Hell last time we bought in Sanchez when we already has Martial, Rashford and Lukaku!
If Greenwood is seriously considered as a genuine first team player and replaced Lukaku, as you've claimed then you're not nearly as short as you're making out. Martial, Greenwood, James, Lingard, Mata + Pereira and even Fernandes could play there.

How many front 3 options do Liverpool have in comparison? We started the season with our front 3 plus Origi and Shaqiri and then Ox if needed.

Now you could argue that Lingard and Pereira are rubbish and that Mata is old and that would be a perfectly acceptable arguement if you were signing somebody notable better than Igahlo but you're not. You're signing Ighlo because Greenwood isn't nearly ready to be relied upon and Martial's only a game or two away from picking up another muscle injury.

Caporegime
Lingard is not a serious option in any of those positions, he's played 99% of his games at 10. Pereira has played maybe 3. Mata doesn't have the legs to play two games a week any more. All these players are playing elsewhere, that's not backup dude. We've already lost several players to injury due to lack of rotation, it's clear to everyone but you that we need more cover.

Don
As I said, if you were signing somebody better than Ighalo then the arguement about Lingard and Mata would make sense. Whether they're ideally suited to play there or simply not quite good enough, you could make do with them as options 5 for 3 positions, plus Pereira and Fernandes and even Chong and Gomes if pushed. You've signed an out and out centre forward though, that's not that great. I don't think it's entirely down to Greenwood not being 100% ready though, Martial's fitness record was probably just as much of a concern.

Soldato
Held on to Watkins, Benrahma and Mbeumo, and bought in Shandon Baptiste among others.

See you boys in the Prem in 6 months' time :D

Soldato
Looks like southampton are gonna lose another defender in Yoshida.

All set to join sampdoria on loan.
They're trying desperately to cut the wage bill and we have way too many defenders on the books.

We really need to start losing some more players permanently. Yoshida will be out of contract and hopefully we'll get shot of Hoedt too.

As we stand now we've got 2 LB, 4 CB, 2 RB. That should see us through the season.

The last few years have been dreadful for us in transfers - we've gone from unearthing gems like Mane for relative pittance to paying over the odds for donkeys like Carillo on massive wages that we struggle to send out on loan.

Soldato
Beggars can't be choosers lack of planning
As I said, if you were signing somebody better than Ighalo then the arguement about Lingard and Mata would make sense. Whether they're ideally suited to play there or simply not quite good enough, you could make do with them as options 5 for 3 positions, plus Pereira and Fernandes and even Chong and Gomes if pushed. You've signed an out and out centre forward though, that's not that great. I don't think it's entirely down to Greenwood not being 100% ready though, Martial's fitness record was probably just as much of a concern.

lingard can’t be compared to ighalo and mata has never had pace. Given many other teams were after a similar sort of backup striker I really fail to see what people are on about.

It seems sensible.

Soldato
lingard can’t be compared to ighalo and mata has never had pace. Given many other teams were after a similar sort of backup striker I really fail to see what people are on about.

It seems sensible.
I'm a united fan and let's be honest here do you really believe that is the level of player United should be after or any of the top sides we sold lukaku didnt replace him then run Rashford into the ground so should have been planning to bring a striker in but we end up scratching around on last day its a joke

Soldato
I'm a united fan and let's be honest here do you really believe that is the level of player United should be after or any of the top sides we sold lukaku didnt replace him then run Rashford into the ground so should have been planning to bring a striker in but we end up scratching around on last day its a joke

I think a lot of people are missing the point of why we have signed w striker on a 6 month loan deal.

Don

It seems sensible.
If you read back through my posts, I wasn't questioning whether Utd should or shouldn't have signed him. I was discussing the reason why Utd have signed him.

As for comparing him with Lingard and Mata, it's starting to sound like Ighalo has become peak Ronaldo overnight. He scored 1 League goal in his final season in the PL, I'd say that's comparable to Lingard. He was the joint 20th top scorer in China last season, he's a very average player but Utd have signed him (particularly him because of his links to Ole's agent) because you're an injury to Martial away from being ****ed.

Soldato
If you read back through my posts, I wasn't questioning whether Utd should or shouldn't have signed him. I was discussing the reason why Utd have signed him.

As for comparing him with Lingard and Mata, it's starting to sound like Ighalo has become peak Ronaldo overnight. He scored 1 League goal in his final season in the PL, I'd say that's comparable to Lingard. He was the joint 20th top scorer in China last season, he's a very average player but Utd have signed him (particularly him because of his links to Ole's agent) because you're an injury to Martial away from being ****ed.
Exactly this

Soldato
I understand that he's better than nobody but we wouldnt have been at this point if wed planned properly

A) Went for Haaland and it didn’t work out probably due to agent fees.
B) Most clubs don’t want to sell in January thus not sure what you want to do?
C) As above, any fallback targets would probably not be available.
D) Any club with a backup 9 wont want to sell for precisely that reason, they’re a backup and can be a &@&f to get (hence Mourinhos recent comments)
E) Baz, love your Ronaldo comment - now who’s twisting things slightly? He’s a body who will probably get a handful of goals and get us to the summer. That’s it.

Back
Top Bottom