TV Licence Super Thread

Capodecina
Soldato
. . . I have never owned a TV in my life and they wouldn't believe me increasing the harassment level week by week.
tvlicensing.co.uk said:
The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:
  • watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
  • watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
  • download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.
This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.
As you suggest, perhaps they don't believe that you don't watch, record, stream or download TV programmes? :confused:

Soldato
Your logic is flawed as paying for BBC doesn't give you access to BT, SKY etc. Paying for BT/SKY and well.. you get all the BBC channels included already. I'm certainly not paying twice for it, up to everyone else if they want to or they would rather save some money.

Just because you have access doesn't mean you are entitled to it.

I pay a monthly fee for my internet connection. That gives me access to a lot of stuff online that I could download without paying for if I wanted but it doesn't mean I am somehow entitled to do that.

Soldato
Your logic is flawed as paying for BBC doesn't give you access to BT, SKY etc. Paying for BT/SKY and well.. you get all the BBC channels included already. I'm certainly not paying twice for it, up to everyone else if they want to or they would rather save some money.

The licence fee is to watch live TV, hence why you need one if you have Sky/BT/VM/Freeview/Freesat or any other platform that is capable of watching and recording live broadcasts in the UK - it's that simple.

Knock your socks off if you want to conjure up some other meaning to the TV licence though...

rWDP1nQ.jpg

Edit - Removed 'receiving' due to pedantics :p;)

Last edited:
Soldato
The licence fee is to watch live TV, hence why you need one if you have Sky/BT/VM/Freeview/Freesat or any other platform that is capable of receiving, watching and recording live broadcasts in the UK - it's that simple.

Knock your socks off if you want to conjure up some other meaning to the TV licence though...

rWDP1nQ.jpg

No just because you have internet connection and tv doesn't mean you need a TV license

Soldato
The licence fee is to watch live TV, hence why you need one if you have Sky/BT/VM/Freeview/Freesat or any other platform that is capable of receiving, watching and recording live broadcasts in the UK - it's that simple.

Not strictly true, you're allowed to have the means to watch live, you only need the licence if you actually do watch/record live. I have a TV, phone, tablet, pc, etc...they can all receive a live signal but I don't pay a licence because I don't watch/record live TV or use iplayer.

Soldato
I dont get why someone is saying don't fill out their form with all your details? If you have had a licence then they have your details anyway.
If you are filling out the forms then you do not have a licence so they shouldn't have your details as they should not be keeping personal details without reason. Unless of course you are going straight from a licence to no licence.

Associate
If you are filling out the forms then you do not have a licence so they shouldn't have your details as they should not be keeping personal details without reason. Unless of course you are going straight from a licence to no licence.

Well no thats not true for some of us, Mine runs out at the end of the month and I won't be renewing but they will still have my details won't they.

Edit: Sorry just read the end of your reply. I'm sure most people will have had a licence at some time.

Soldato
Well no thats not true for some of us, Mine runs out at the end of the month and I won't be renewing but they will still have my details won't they.

Edit: Sorry just read the end of your reply. I'm sure most people will have had a licence at some time.
That largely depends on your age. Its getting more common each year for the younger generation to have never had a licence. For older generation I do not remember the % but it was single digits? Plus technically after a set amount of time without a licence they should remove your details.

Associate
That largely depends on your age. Its getting more common each year for the younger generation to have never had a licence. For older generation I do not remember the % but it was single digits? Plus technically after a set amount of time without a licence they should remove your details.

You do have a point about the younger generation.

Soldato
It needs to be moved from a license model to general taxation. The current system just encourages the permanently enraged freeloaders.
Why should people who don't watch live tv or anything pay a tax for it? I personally would be quite angry that I would have to pay an additional tax for something I never use.
If anything it should just turn into a subscription model like netflix, so there cant be freeloaders.

Permabanned
It needs to be moved from a license model to general taxation. The current system just encourages the permanently enraged freeloaders.

No it needs to be encrypted and on a pay as you watch model so people can pay for one show. £153 per person just for one event like snooker?

You are assuming everyone angry is watching BBC the content sucks all i want is sports, But not for £154 and i am not going to pay otherwise. Making me hand over my data every two years due to this is a violation of privacy. But keep it up someday with an attitiude like this people will be even more sheep like tham they are today that is what you are for paying £154 a mere sheep.

Back
Top Bottom