What watch do you wear?

Man of Honour
It doesn't have any self healing properties. The titanium itself is not scratching, when titanium is exposed to air or water it reacts and develops a thin titanium dioxide layer. This layer is what you are seeing marking easily.

I was under the impression based on info online back then that there's a factory coating that acts as the self healing layer which is why light scratches heal themselves. On my Pelagos I had light scratches every now and then like from cuff buttons on a jacket and within days would see them vanish.

How often are you guys manually adjusting the time on your automatic watches? I find it irritating that my watch is losing circa 1 second a day, but don't fancy re-aligning it everytime I wear it.

1s either end a day is excellent accuracy that not many watches can manage. You could re-sync every day or just re-sync once a month with that kind of accuracy. Every automatic watch will gain or lose time each day. Zenith are the only watchmaker who have the most accurate fully analogue movement. Something like 0.3s a day for 95% of the power reserve. Keep in mind that as your power reserve levels drop, accuracy will also drop as the mainspring gets weaker like an alkaline battery on its last 10% of capacity. So just give the crown a few winds if you're not wearing the watch for a day or two to keep reserve (and accuracy) up.

Soldato
I was under the impression based on info online back then that there's a factory coating that acts as the self healing layer which is why light scratches heal themselves. On my Pelagos I had light scratches every now and then like from cuff buttons on a jacket and within days would see them vanish.
No that's simply not true, it's borderline ridiculous and whoever told you that is lying. A) surely Tudor would market the hell out of tech like that and B) they would never do it because it would be a nightmare from an aftersales and servicing perspective.

The light scratches are marks in the titanium oxide.

Caporegime

There is no self-healing in a nanotechnology sense, it's just the properties of the metal reacting with the environment. :)

Soldato
The healing of many metals is the reforming of its oxide following the exposure to air. You could propose that over a very long time period you may actually remove enough titanium with the oxide in a given place to notice a 'scratch' on the surface, but still highly unlikely.

Bronze watches are the same. I have no idea what chemical has done this to part of my bezel, but the patination from the oxide is on one half, with a raw, shiny finish on the other. :p

Soldato
Bought another watch, Orient Mako III this time. Chose this over the II due to the Sapphire.
Happy with it so far, not too heavy and the dial is lovely when it catches the light.

zqcTX3nl.jpg

Man of Honour
I did think about the SS one for a little bit extra but also the bright orange one just for lols but I had to keep it truly retro so ultra light plastic it had to be :p

It actually feels like it weighs less than one of my NATO straps lol.

Associate
I've been collecting watches for 45 years and have too many to count (They're all over the house!!)

Here's the latest I bought, It's a Dan Henry 1963 Aviators chrono..
tQmbWTH.jpg

It has an impression of the Lockheed Blackbird SR-71 on the caseback!
xzPgR56.jpg

Another recent one is this Seiko SRPA89
HeyBav5.jpg

I've been wearing this Seiko Atlas recently..
CxNZ40x.jpg

John :)

Back
Top Bottom