Anyone had the snip?

Soldato
Had mine done about 2 years ago. I was given all the warnings about pain, potential loss of libido, etc. I wasn't phased though as a lot of that is just needed to ensure informed consent and even paracetamol has dire warnings on the leaflets about rare side effects. :)
Went in one day, had the op, took the next day off awaiting pain that never came and then went back to work. A few painkillers more as a 'just in case' but no real painat all. My main memories of the day were a (brief) curious smell of burning meat as they sealed the tubes and my wife absolutely jumping out of her chair to look when the doctor noticed how interested she was and invited her over. :D I duly sat up and it was quite fascinating. 20 mins tops and I was having a brew and a biscuit. My wife drove me home but I could've easily done it myself IMO.
As someone else mentioned, lots more spontaneous fun now, no more "hang on while I find the condom that I swear was right THERE two seconds ago" and my wife says my libido has increased. So, in summary, a win all around for me.

Soldato
Damm guys how do you do it, I would dread this imo i am nuts about this, People doing an autopsy on me and getting my wisdom teeth out! :D

Wussy i guess :(

I wouldn't do it! Seems to be a decision been pushed by their partners.

My friend is trying to her husband to do it. Its been 6 years and he's still holding strong. Good for him! :D

Associate
Generally, I would say that most blokes don't have any problems with this procedure. I wasn't going to say anything as its a bit embarrassing but as my doctor told me my side effects are tuff, it might be worth letting others know.

had this done about 10 years ago on orders like most :rolleyes:
The procedure itself is pretty easy apart from the burnt bacon smell and the injections to the balls. generally just a couple days of discomfort. (unless like me you have a high tolerance of anaesthetic and then it's pretty painful)

I've had a few unwelcome side effects since the procedure pretty much within a month of having it done.
-the most annoying thing is dribbling after going to the loo. (absolute ****) if it wasn't for this it would be fine.
-pain in the lower abdomen if you go without sex
- for quite a while I had a sense of disconnect from down there. (bit like a lack of dexterity when you nerve damage your hand from a cut)

On visiting the doctors I was told this could happen and you have to live with it, which isn't how they sell it in the first place it may be different now with regards to the pre-advice.

Soldato
I have my appointment with the GP week after next, then I'll have the actual appointment for it after that. So I'll let you know how I get on.

I was surprised to hear the comments about "wife made me" etc as my wife was actually against it and took some convincing. She doesn't want any more kids any more than I do, but she was worried that I was closing a door I might regret if anything happened to her and I remarried etc.

I'm obviously worried about side effects, but I'm going to roll the dice and hope like hell everything goes fine.

Soldato
Something I'm going to look into in a few weeks after the birth of our third child yesterday.
Wife's been through a lot over the years with miscarriages and operations and three bad births so I'm quite happy to have me sterilised instead of her.

Soldato
For anyone without kids .did you have much resistance from doctors?

It really depends on your age and each individual couples situation. I would never outright decline referring but for any man in his 20 or 30s in a stable relationship I will counsel fully and express these concerns. Ask them to go away and discuss it with the other half. If they want to proceed with the referral they can let me know at a follow up appointment.

Ham

Ham

Associate

My GP was quite surprised when I requested it though she was fine to refer me after a chat. The surgeon phoned me prior to the op, again he said he was unusual but not unheard of and was happy to go ahead with the procedure.

I was 31 at the time and had been with my wife for over 10 years so we'd had plenty of time to decide for certain that children weren't for us. My Wife wasn't getting on with the Pill and other contraceptives all have their own drawbacks.

I had the op 5 years ago and no regrets. I went for the "no scalpel" procedure which was conveniently performed at a doctor's surgery about 2 minutes from my house. A bit tender for a few days but beyond that all good.

Soldato
Had mine done about 5 years ago in the USA. I was told to bring a jock strap which I had to wear after the OP.
The worst part was the drive to the hospital. I was nervous as hell. 2and worst part was the injection in the nuts to numb everything, felt like someone smacked me in them. After that no pain at all.
My doc cuts, cauterize and clamps the tubes to make sure. Took about 45 mins all together.
Apart from some discomfort I had no pain after. No infection or side effects. Had to wear a jockstrap for about a week after.
He didnt cut the sack either he went in at the base of the shaft.

Soldato

Nope, not at all. They just asked a few questions to make sure we were totally decided (36 at the time with a genetic condition on the wife's side that wasn't worth the roulette) and then bish bash bosh.

Procedure itself was grand expect for one point as she went for the second tube it suddenly felt like someone had harshly pinched my right nut. I kind of winced and she said "did you feel that?"

I answered "yeah that felt kind of... rough..." and before I knew it went hypoxic and passed out. XD

Came to a few moments later, got back to business and it was done very quickly. Post-surgery pain was barely even there, but I did of course milk it for waiter duties from the wife for a week or so.

Associate
Had mine in 1974. Semi-private op. Paid for the anesthetis gas guy. Two hours and a cuppa later in the car and drove back to West Germany. No pain, no swelling, no discomfort. No more children Yaay!!!

Associate
Just out of the surgery. Injections were uncomfortable, but wasn’t too bad. Had to rummage a lot around the right testicle to find the tube, so feeling a bit achey. Wasn’t as bad as expected, will see when the meds fade later!

Soldato
Just don't look down, i'll never forget the image of the tubes poking out my balls. Overall though worth it, so the mrs didn't have to stay on the pill forever. I just wore normal boxers and was fine, but you notice it when you don't have any on. I was back at work the next day all be it taking it gently.

Back
Top Bottom