Penalty Points & Insurance

Soldato
Hello,

My insurance is up for renewal on 18th Feb. I’ve got a quote i’m happy with.

Over the weekend i had a letter through for speeding. 69mph in a 50, through some road works on motorway.

I need to send the letter back stating i was the driver etc and cos my speed it says i’ll get a conditional offer (Dunno what that is) but i’m assuming 3 points as i was over for the limit for the awareness course.

Once i renew, do i need to tell my insurer and will my premium go up ? I’ve got until the 20th Feb to send the letter back about speeding so i’m thinking i’ll sen it on 15th.

or should i just send the letter back asap get the points then renew ?

thanks

Soldato
Your insurance renewal probably asks for pending penalties as well as those already applied. I think 69 in a 50 is outside the tolerance for speed awareness. So yes send the letter back and tell your insurance company asap.
Andi.

Man of Honour
I got 6 points and a hefty fine in December from being caught in May. Informed my bike/car insurance and neither were bothered they just said they'll take it into account at the next renewal.

After running some new quotes it also made next to no difference with/without.

Soldato
Don't know 100%, but if you were to follow the letter word for word, you currently don't have the penalty points applied, and likely won't have at the point your insurance is renewed.

I believe you're supposed to inform your insurer as soon as the points go on your licence. In this case assuming you get points, this will happen after your renewal, which means you'll see any changes for next year's renewal.

Soldato
OP
Don't know 100%, but if you were to follow the letter word for word, you currently don't have the penalty points applied, and likely won't have at the point your insurance is renewed.

I believe you're supposed to inform your insurer as soon as the points go on your licence. In this case assuming you get points, this will happen after your renewal, which means you'll see any changes for next year's renewal.

yeah well i don’t plan on sending the letter back until after i’ve signed up for the insurance. New company this year and my renewal was over £300 more for no reason at all !

Soldato
When I got 3 points my insurer did not give a ****, just told me to add it next time I renew. It didnt effect the price at all, in fact it went down slightly :p

Unlike the "road safety" lot, insurers clearly dont think speeding alone causes accidents.

Soldato
New company this year and my renewal was over £300 more for no reason at all !

Renewal offers generally are pants, so it's worth spending the hour or two shopping around and if need be, swap insurers.

As for the ticket, personally i'd get it sent in and sorted as soon as - you have to the tell the insurer regardless and you could get 'stung' at either end. And as others have said, the additional cost is usually little - i think mine went up £20/30 over the year.

And from what i remember, you're outside speed awareness course limit so expect points and a fine - probably 3/£100 fine.

edit - https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q584.htm

Permabanned
Didn’t make a difference to mine when I picked up 6 points I was told by the broker that they weren’t serious so doesn’t affect your premium.

On the other hand they tried pull a fast one on me when I tried to renew insurance on my Pulsar siting points to be a factor, at which point I told them your talking nonsense as you never increased my other policy. Told them to go do one.

Soldato
Normally insurers want to know about pending convictions (not sure exactly when it becomes pending though). Since you know about it before the 18th start date of the policy, you are supposed to tell them and they will adjust your price.

It's only when your part way through the policy does it only get added at next renewal.

Soldato
+1
Of course you have to tell them if offences/points come to light from a previous year which would have impacted that years premium, otherwise they could cancel your insurance, or, void a fully comp claim, if they found out.

But if you have an offence in the current year, I didn't think that would ever impact that years insurance ... you have paid the premium, and it doesn't get renegotiated ... as long as you still have a license to drive, you're good.

Soldato
I'd run through quotes with pending convictions and go with the cheapest.

If you renew without disclosing your insurer may load heavily for convictions once you do disclose it and then if you try and switch insurers mid term you'll be cancelling so will be charged.

Associate
I got 6 points and a hefty fine in December from being caught in May. Informed my bike/car insurance and neither were bothered they just said they'll take it into account at the next renewal.

After running some new quotes it also made next to no difference with/without.

Exact same thing happened to me, I got caught the day after I got my new car (sept 2018) and the points were awarded (??) to me in March 2019, 2 days after my insurance renewed. I rang them to inform them, and they just charged me a £20 admin fee.

Ins cos typically ignore 3-6 points from speeding
If 6 is from one of the more serious offences that will count, but 6 will normally be on the edge of being ignored.

Dont forget they are looking at risk so they price the policy accordingly, low amounts of penalty points for speeding dont really indicate anything. Most people who have been driving for years recognise that its a bit pot luck and a bit sense in where you speed.

Actually this is a good summary, also goes into the question of speed awareness course.
I know some people say no if specifically asked, which isnt a good idea.

https://www.aviva.co.uk/insurance/motor/car-insurance/how-penalty-points-affect-insurance/

Associate
When I got 3 points my insurer did not give a ****, just told me to add it next time I renew. It didnt effect the price at all, in fact it went down slightly :p

Unlike the "road safety" lot, insurers clearly dont think speeding alone causes accidents.

yeah , i got 3 points some years ago and my insurance went down !!!

Soldato
My son got stopped today by an unmarked car for dangerous driving, his insurance is up for renewal in a weeks time but he's already renewed it last week.

Interesting predicament as he's only been issued with a slip and was told he'd get the actual number of points and the fine confirmed in the post.

Man of Honour
My son got stopped today by an unmarked car for dangerous driving, his insurance is up for renewal in a weeks time but he's already renewed it last week.

Interesting predicament as he's only been issued with a slip and was told he'd get the actual number of points and the fine confirmed in the post.
Just inform the insurance once he's gotten his spanking, could take up to 6 months if it's anything like my speeding points/fine.

Man of Honour
They never gave him anything except to say that he’s get something in the post. Is that how things work these days? When I got done for flouting road signals, I was given a piece of paper as a souvenir:D
He got the green slip by the sounds of it. The plea paperwork will come in the post.

Soldato
No need to tell insurance. The registered keeper has had the notification so the rozzers can identify the driver. The penalty hasn't been decided or applied to whomever the driver was at this point.

Back
Top Bottom