What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
In the Heart of the Sea

The tale of a heroic whale fighting 19th century whalers that threaten the very existence of his species. The makers took the curious choice to follow the perspective not of our hero but of the antagonists and it results in a pretty interesting film. Overly long in places and the framing device of a survivor telling the story to the writer of Moby Dick drains tension from the action.

A watchable 7/10

Last edited:
Soldato
Zombieland 2 - 4/10 and most of that was for the Bill Murray parts.

It felt like it was trying to be hard to be funny and the doppleganger and Babylon parts were ridiculous. Shame as i really enjoyed the first one.

Caporegime
Joker

Eh, it wasn't bad, but it also wasn't great. Very slow start, possibly a bit over-indulgent (imo), but I did enjoy the world/lore building for Gotham as we see it in the original Keaton Batman (I always wondered how Joker acquired so many loyal goons). Ending was cool.

6/10

Soldato
Doctor Sleep - 4.5/10 Any less seems to harsh but any more feels a tad too generous. Bit too long. Not enough development of the baddie characters. Felt rather "Made for TV" in places.

Would have made a better one season series.

Associate
The Rhythm Section (2020) - 4 / 10

A mediocre action thriller where everything’s been seen and done before and usually better.

It’s slow to get going, the action scenes aren’t slick, its arty but without much style and the plot and character growth arcs are both cliché.

Still, the acting’s good and the gritty and realistic presentation and subject matter is somewhat refreshing, showing that the world of international assassination isn’t all Hollywood cracks it up to be.

Soldato
Finally got around to watching Roma on Netflix last night.

I had a pang of emotion throughout the final third (as much as I could since the events were pretty much foreshadowed on the side of a freight train), but tbh I was more connected/intrigued by the over the top cinematography and wide tracking shots than anything going on in the thread bare plot. There wasn't enough substance for me to become immersed as what the critics and cheerleaders of the film have reported.

Technical rating of 8/10. Enjoyment rating of about 5/10.

Soldato
Hungerford

I'm 27 minutes 14 seconds into this "film" with 52 minutes left to watch. 52 minutes that will remain unseen benadryl it's the biggest piece of student filmed ******* drivel ice every seen, and ice watched some turds over the years.

Terrible script so far, very unnatural, awful effects, bad acting and filmed via that annoying camcorder effect like the Blair witch.

Save 79 minutes of your life. If you still feel like watching it, punch yourself in the face because there be something wrong with you.

0/10

Yes, that bad. I'd give sharknado 1/10

Soldato
Midway - 2.5/10

Not only is it poorly acted but the pacing is all over the place and the CGI is just plain rubbish. And then we get to the historical inaccuracies in the story, oh man...

Soldato
Black Rain (1989) - 8/10

Another classic from the 80's, they don't make 'em like that any more. Highlights are Andy Garcia's head, Kate Capshaw's (schwing) numerous hair style changes and a Yakuza finger amputation. Music is pretty decent too with one of Hans Zimmer's earlier scores.

Very sad that the actor who played the main antagonist was actually in late stage bladder cancer during the shoot and died not long after - RIP. Also while much of the movie was filmed in and around Osaka, a number of the Japanese sections were actually shot in Los Angeles!

Man of Honour
Spent a few minutes staring at my blurays last night... Couldn't decide what to watch.

Ended up with Carry On Screaming. It's not my favourite carry on movie, but as a comedy horror film, it's brilliant. It's a near perfect recreation of the cheap horror movies that were being made by Hammer and the like, and given how cheap the Carry On were, it's really impressive. (Although the best looking Carry On imo was Carry On Cleo, but that was because it re-used the abandoned London sets and costumes from Cleopatra)

Fenella Fielding is perfect in her role and has one of the best lines in the whole Carry On series. Harry H Corbett joins Bob Monkhouse and Phil Silvers as one time Carry On performers, but does a significantly better job than either of them. Shame he didn't come back to them.

I wish StudioCanal would take a look at doing more Carry On blurays. We got 4 from them, Cleo, Screaming, Cowboy and Jack and then they stopped. They did a great job, and I wonder if they didn't sell enough to consider continuing the project.

Man of Honour
Arctic on Netflix - thought it was a really good film, minimalistic dialogue and minimalistic cast. No need to know the life stories of the protagonist or why he is who he is or why he does what he does. Its all explained nicely without needing dialogue to explain it. Not a film for everyone I imagine, some who like more action or more verbal explanation of everything might find it not to their tastes but I'd give it a safe 7/10

Caporegime
The Irishman

A long rambling, mobster, story. I can't imagine anyone but Scorcese and DeNiro could manage to deliver three and a half hours of this and not have it feel as dull as it really should. Not much happens, the plot is not particularly much of much, but it's an engaging watch none the less. The de-aging stuff detracts from some scenes and makes it hard to figure timescales. I'm also a little uncomfortable with the fictionalisation of people from the recent past.

Worth your time, but not unmissable 7/10

Last edited:
Associate
Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (2020) - 8 / 10

A great comic-book action film let down by underwhelming villains and a plot that plays it too safe.

The set pieces are fantastically staged and Quinn brings plenty of craziness, glamour, humour and her unique perspective to the proceedings. Add this to the outlandish style, catchy music and well put together action scenes and it makes it an enjoyable and entertaining film to watch.

However, the story itself is rather pedestrian and has a bitty start and a long explanation phase. The villains aren’t really done justice and although the acting is good, the supporting cast don’t really shine – maybe Robbie just steals the show too much.

Back
Top Bottom