• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU for 1440p is it possible low budget?

Associate
Hi just got the below together buying of FB Marketplace for the sum of £70!

Ryzen 5 1500x
MSI B450m Mortar Pro
Gamemax kamikaze pro

Now I have the rest PSU SSD etc...

Looking to buy a GPU with the aim for GTA5 to run 60+FPS on 1440p is this going to be possible?

Any suggestions welcome, I cant pair it with a 2080Ti but something like a used 1060 3GB? Would the 1500x be too slow to keep up? I have around £200

:)

IMG-20200201-205929469.jpg

Associate
OP
Thanks :) I know! Could not turn it down although I moved over to an gaming laptop with a RTX2060 I miss having a tower, gives me the option to upgrade etc! Probably will change out the 1500x if it performs poor only been a quad core.

The 1660 Super looks good! Didn't know that existed take it this replaced the Ti?

I have Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz memory + 600W Corsair PSU so power should be fine, I can OC the 1500x I think it may need it.

Soldato
Thanks :) I know! Could not turn it down although I moved over to an gaming laptop with a RTX2060 I miss having a tower, gives me the option to upgrade etc! Probably will change out the 1500x if it performs poor only been a quad core.

The 1660 Super looks good! Didn't know that existed take it this replaced the Ti?

I have Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz memory + 600W Corsair PSU so power should be fine, I can OC the 1500x I think it may need it.

If you shop around you could find a 1600AF (make sure it is the AF, it's just a slightly downclocked 2600 despite the naming) for £85, it'd be about on par with a 2600 (hexa, 6c12t) system for chips.

Damn good system for the money spent either way.

As for the 1660S, it's about 1-3% slower than the Ti for roughly £50 less, so out of the 1660 series it's easily the star buy.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I like the look of the 1660Super, If I buy off ocuk they are £199 so £270 all in I think that would be a good system to run GTA :D (not inc the other parts I had left over)

I may go cheap and get a second hand card seen a 1060 6GB for £90! Second hand prices are crazy low atm???

Soldato
I like the look of the 1660Super, If I buy off ocuk they are £199 so £270 all in I think that would be a good system to run GTA :D (not inc the other parts I had left over)

I may go cheap and get a second hand card seen a 1060 6GB for £90! Second hand prices are crazy low atm???

Low end cards are cheap. The 1060 will do well for GTA. It depends how high you want the setting really.

Seem every computer part from the last 10 years that gets sold on Facebook is a "gaming" part. So a lot get sold for silly money.

I saw a gaming PSU today.

Associate
OP
It is a joke I think the FB marketplace for stuff like the above. Loads of Dell stuff called gaming because it has a nvidia card even though its only worth £5! There is a lot of rubbish but sometimes you find genuine sales and good buys.

My 2060 laptop has a 144Hz display and can get over 100FPS but my main display is a Viewsonic 32' 2K monitor running 75Hz so close to that FPS wise is ideal. I would like it to look good though!

Soldato
It is a joke I think the FB marketplace for stuff like the above. Loads of Dell stuff called gaming because it has a nvidia card even though its only worth £5! There is a lot of rubbish but sometimes you find genuine sales and good buys.

My 2060 laptop has a 144Hz display and can get over 100FPS but my main display is a Viewsonic 32' 2K monitor running 75Hz so close to that FPS wise is ideal. I would like it to look good though!

Everything is gaming. It sells for more to the people not in the know.
It really annoys me as well.

Gaming PSU tho?? Gaming Mobo,CPU,ram, literally anything.

The only thing that is "gaming" imo is a monitor, mouse and keyboard. What else can help in games ?

Soldato
Everything is gaming. It sells for more to the people not in the know.
It really annoys me as well.

Gaming PSU tho?? Gaming Mobo,CPU,ram, literally anything.

The only thing that is "gaming" imo is a monitor, mouse and keyboard. What else can help in games ?

probably a good framerate that none of the other things listed as gaming can provide :p

you got a steal op, that is awesome for the money :D

Associate
Associate

And the secondhand parts are going to get even better post ampere/RDNA2. All those 1080ti holdouts with have something to upgrade to, and those 2080ti owners are going to be having a hard time selling their cards for anything near what they paid for them. And any card without hardware accelerators for RT, this time next year will have next to no value. That 1660 super and the RX 590 will have no value very soon, much like all those quad core CPU's everyone was told to buy. A cheap secondhand 1060 or 480 should tide you over.

Associate
OP
The more I look into it the more a mine field it is :D

Good spot to be in I guess for a second hand buyer.

So it seems I can get the below within my price budget.

GTX 1080 OC
GTX 1070TI
GTX 2060
GTX 1660 Super

Vega 56/64

I will be playing on a Viewsonic VX3276-2K-mhd it's only 75Hz but I guess more FPS the better for smoother play? Been a while since I've had PC components.

Back
Top Bottom