• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ryzen 5 3600 Discussion Thread

Associate
I'm super super chuffed with my new R5 3600. Upgraded from my trusty 3570k, OC'd to 4.4ghz - it's gone to a friendly new home to get the brother-in-law into the pc world.

So far the Ryzen has been impeccable. Running it with PBO (I think.. :rolleyes:) with an X470 Gaming Plus. Had really high temps with the stock cooler - I'm talking 80C upwards with every boost, couldn't even hold 4ghz without heating up. I've since replaced that with a Dark Rock Pro 4 and now it's silent, boosting to 4.2ghz and staying below 70C.

Associate
I'm super super chuffed with my new R5 3600. Upgraded from my trusty 3570k, OC'd to 4.4ghz - it's gone to a friendly new home to get the brother-in-law into the pc world.

So far the Ryzen has been impeccable. Running it with PBO (I think.. :rolleyes:) with an X470 Gaming Plus. Had really high temps with the stock cooler - I'm talking 80C upwards with every boost, couldn't even hold 4ghz without heating up. I've since replaced that with a Dark Rock Pro 4 and now it's silent, boosting to 4.2ghz and staying below 70C.

Yes, the Wraith cooler is junk compared to the Spire my R5 1600 came with. We have similar results but i'm using a Noctua U12S. Replaced the stock fan with 2 Cougars.

Associate
Yes, the Wraith cooler is junk compared to the Spire my R5 1600 came with. We have similar results but i'm using a Noctua U12S. Replaced the stock fan with 2 Cougars.
I was sad because I actually really liked it... it looked good in my case, I just couldn't take the WhirrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrRRRRRrrrrrrr.... you get the idea. Even at idle it'd keep spinning up for bizarre reasons... The dark rock has about 3mm clearance in my case!

Soldato
The Wraith Prism with the hardware switch on "low" and fixed at 50% fan speed is plenty for an R5 3600. I imagine the Wraith Stealth is pants.

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Ended up buying 8Pack 3200 b-die ram. Using 3733 Safe settings from dram calculator.

Ahh ok. I think when I try mine again, I will update the new BIOS for the board and use the safe settings also. Last attempt was old BIOS and normal which wouldnt boot using the aggressive XMP settings, but got it applied with the slacker XMP timings.

Associate
Ahh ok. I think when I try mine again, I will update the new BIOS for the board and use the safe settings also. Last attempt was old BIOS and normal which wouldnt boot using the aggressive XMP settings, but got it applied with the slacker XMP timings.
So just started reading up about OC'ing RAM. When I enable XMP i just get BSOD. I plan to try again after updating BIOS.

Is this a common issue?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Well from my experience the calculator seems to work for most people. However when I used the settings verbatum from the tool to the BIOS, the XMP profile would not boot on setting 1. I then tried setting 2 (which was not so aggressive) and it booted and works great.

Now maybe you dont need to select XMP profiles if you set everything manually. The BIOS updates probably tweak the XMP settings and add newer configs that work.

Associate
I was sad because I actually really liked it... it looked good in my case, I just couldn't take the WhirrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrRRRRRrrrrrrr.... you get the idea. Even at idle it'd keep spinning up for bizarre reasons... The dark rock has about 3mm clearance in my case!

Matt, i meant the Stealth Cooler is junk.

Soldato
awesome little chip, im really enjoying mine, totally destroying my old i5 6600k, combined with my pulse 5700 at 1080p no game can escape it's awesomness :)

dang scramz that is an awesome deal, think mine was about 174 quid :)

Associate
awesome little chip, im really enjoying mine, totally destroying my old i5 6600k, combined with my pulse 5700 at 1080p no game can escape it's awesomness :)

dang scramz that is an awesome deal, think mine was about 174 quid :)
I finally have a CPU better than my friend's (6700k) - now he's looking at Ryzen :cool:

Mine's paired with a GTX 970 and get incredible 1080 performance, nothing has pushed the Ryzen past 50% yet

Associate
Sure, sure :p But I'm not seeing anything anywhere close to £145. £~170 is the cheapest I'm seeing.

Of course we cant say who it was but it was with a large online retailer. There is a large UK deals site that I have notifications set up for words like Intel, Ryzen, etc. Prices have been falling all over the place recently on AMD CPUs.

You could have got the 3700X for £260 a few days back. Again exceptional value.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 3700X is also available for under £250 at the moment. The value in the CPU market is absolutely insane. Pity the GPU side of things is such a mess.

Back
Top Bottom